458 Spider, No Sat Nav | FerrariChat

458 Spider, No Sat Nav

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by glennglenn, Feb 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glennglenn

glennglenn Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    I have found a great low mileage spider that has no sat nav. Can the sat nav be fitted by the dealer or is it only possible at the factory when new? I am in the UK.

2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sat Nav on 458 is just horrible :) i never once used mine and would instead mount my phone on the AC vent and use google maps.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    My car came without it even though I ordered it and I was told it could not be retrofitted without removing the dash, which they didn't want to do because it may squeak. Basically, they talked me out of it.

4. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    Don't you have a cell phone?

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly. Waze vs $3500 for Ferrari GPS? Go with Waze.

Graz likes this.
  6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I never use mine so I do not know if it is good or bad. I use a portable Garmin GPS on all my cars. In this way I only learn one system.

If you have a GPS, it is on the right side. Just push main or menu and the map should pop up.

Best

Lee

_JERRY_ likes this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I did not order the sat Nav when I ordered my 458 spider. I didn't like the system Ferrari was offering and didn't like the cheap looking plastic box nor the cheaply machined hole in the rear panel.

I google maps with my iPhone. Works fine. Plus the interface is much easier to used than scrolling letter by letter with the Ferrari 'interface' knob

I'm sure you can find a better solution and wouldn't let the absence of the factory Nav affect your decision about the car

8. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I was just quoted $10k to install nav in my '14 coupe (reprogramming, add an antenna, run wires)

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't think the sat Nav is that bad in the 458.

It is much better than the pox Bluetooth system which is a nightmare. Completely opposite to my F12 which works perfectly with all facets of the Bluetooth functionality.

10. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    are you going to do it? I've used mine a totall of 1 time.. just not worth it.

11. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    What year is your F12? Does it stream Bluetooth music from your phone?

No - I was hoping it'd be less, but my phone works for the 99.97% of the time when I have service / know where I'm going. For the 0.03% of the time, I'll just prepare a little more.

12. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Just get in the car with a good looking babe and don't worry about the absence of satnav. If you get lost you will have more fun than if you sat there listening to a nasty robot voice henpecking you.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Owwww .... hope you will enjoy that ....

Is it updated to the last maps ? Can you tell us version etc please to compare it to mine ?

14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    do you not use a smartphone with google maps? superior mapping and navigation with traffic data and instant internet search

i've never used the nav on my 458 spider it's too small, takes too long to input, and takes up 1 of 2 screens

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I think Garmin is a better system and the top of the line is abour $500. One nice thing is you can save destinations and move from car to car. Don't have to re-enter the data for each car. And it tells you the speed limit on major roads and your speed. My 458 does not do that. Note: you have to be in park to enter data in the fcar while Garmin can do it on the fly hands free in voice mode.

I have sat nav in the 488 spider and use it once or twice a year. Since l don't use it that much not very user friendly as l have to relearn the system. Each time.

Spending $10k on a retrofit makes no sense to me and doubt if you could recoup on resale.

Never have tried using a cell phone but sounds great for infrequent use.

16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    You have to be PRETTY STUPID to order a new Ferrari and spend 3K on a SAT NAV. I have done this once too. A Garmin costs $100

17. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    & furthermore in 20 years time having a 20 year old computer in your classic Ferrari is not cool

18. justthebest

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    No idea - due to the cost, I decided against it.

I use Waze (now owned by Google).

19. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree with WAZE. Works great and even tells you what's happening.

20. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    MY15 Italia was supposed to have the NAV standard but it didn't come installed. The dealer told me the same thing about taking out the dash at first but they figured out a way to install it without removing the dash and even installed the GPS antennae out of sight below the dashboard mesh where it meets the windshield. That saved the roof getting a hole drilled in it. I was happily impressed.

The system works great but I'd rather use waze or google maps.

21. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    This is an old thread, but i'm curious WHERE u mounted the Garmin? I cant for the life of me figure out where to fit it, other than a custom bracket mounted under the a/c controls.

22. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You don't need it. Just use Waze. It's better anyway