Cessna TTX | FerrariChat

Cessna TTX

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Pinarello, Mar 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Interested in input
    Any owners?
    Reliable?
    Annual maintenece cost?
    How many hours transition training?
    Worth getting G2000 vs G1000 avionics?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm selling my 2006 right now with G1000, AC, and OX.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/aviatorchat-com/503224-%5B-sale%5D-2006-columbia-400-slx-cessna-ttx.html

Lancair built an unbelievable certified aircraft in the 400. Fastest certified fixed gear single engine piston and only few knots behind the RG Mooney Acclaim. One of the only or few aircraft in this category to get Utility rating. They could have easily received an aerobatic rating, but for whatever reasons like insurance etc didn't. Sean Tucker did the airshow circuit in one for a year or two.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_6jXggTKo[/ame]

Where the Cirrus couldn't even get spin recovery certified without the parachute, the 400 is near impossible to spin and if you do let go of everything for recovery!

I'm a big fan of the airframe, but not a big fan of Cessna. The G2000 would be nice, but the G1000 still kicks ass. Arguably the best planes in the fleet are like mine, 2006-2008 with G1000 and built in Bend, Oregon by Columbia. Cessna has had all kinds of issues plus moving manufacturing to places like Mexico. They have also added $200-300k to the price! Unless you just want a new plane, not sure why you wouldn't pay for a Bend plane low $300's vs. $750k for a Cessna TTx.

Let me know if any specific questions. We have a good club.

Cessna Advanced Pilots Club - Cessna Advanced Aircraft Club

3. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    Wow, never knew any of that about the plane, absolutely awesome!

4. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Is there a 5 seat option available?

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, Cirrus has one now, not sure if Cessna will ever do it, but it could weight wise.

I think Cessna is developing a single engine turboprop to compete with the Evolution which will probably hold 6 and cruise 280-300 kts.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Would Cessna just start with the Evolution and certify it?

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Evolution is Lancair, which is not owned by Cessna.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I realize that, although I would think they have some sort of relationship. If they don't, maybe they should consider one.

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Maybe if Cessna had kept production of the Columbia in Bend, but they didn't, so I doubt they do. Would have been a wise move on Cessna's part to have had a relationship, using Lancair as sort of a 'skunk works'.

10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Im not a pilot, but like the discussions on this board. At the 1:01 mark of the video, you notice as he completes the loop and descends there is a large/tall high tension wire tower in the frame, it seems he is finishing the manuver pretty close to the ground, does it make sense to do this that close to lines? Obviously a skilled pilot and its a Gorgeous video and demo, but Wondered what pilots thoughts were.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    exactly, but they didn't, they even went so far to lay off most of the subject matter experts that were brought to Cessna from Columbia. it was a great plane until Cessna got their hands on it.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this was an aerobatics show under special release from the FAA (they required plane inspection after every show) by one of the most experienced aerobatics pilots in the business. I can't judge from the video, but I can tell you Scott's judgement was perfect.

13. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There's really nothing to compete with regarding the Evolution. How many are flying? 5 or 6? The Evolution has no ice protection and leaks like a sieve in the rain.... and it's home built.

If Cessna is smart they'll build a SETP bigger than the PC12. The TBM already exists as the 6 seat turboprop and they don't sell nearly as many of those as Pilatus sells PC12's.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe, most of the Columbia 400 owners that have moved up to the Evolution really like it. Simply nothing else that offers what it does for the price. it might have the reputation of a home built for buying and selling market, but it really isn't. you build at their facilities and pros behind Lancair and certified experience with Columbia are building the plane. you do as little as you want or for fun more hands on.

300 kts, it does have deice (boots), and pressurized. pretty darn cool airplane for little over $1mm.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There are 6 Evolutions (all flying) on Controller.com right now!

Interesting that so many are for sale, though... seems like a great machine for the right buyer. Although, in that size range, I'd probably go for an Eclipse-- faster, only a little bit more expensive to operate, goes higher, etc.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    wonder if some are building and then just reselling for profit?

I have a buddy that sold his 400, built an Evolution and now selling it, I need to find the details why.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I got the low down from my friend selling his Evolution. He's upgrading to a cabin class. Sounds like Evolution is doing great very few on market, 70 in fleet, and 1.5 coming out a month.

Here is his for sale link...

Controller.com | 2015 LANCAIR EVOLUTION For Sale

Here is the other info he provided...

18. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I wonder what an Evolution sells for compared to what it cost the original owner? I love the Evolution. I agree it's a bad ass plane. But what are the rules to sell a homebuilt? If the next owner crashes it aren't YOU considered the manufacturer?

You can buy a low hour Mustang for $1.5MM nowadays. I think an new Evolution costs a lot more than that to buy.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I love the Mustang! I think that would be the perfect plane between $1-2mm. Single pilot and although I have never flown in one, I have sat in one, the back feels "cabin class" opposing seats around a table feels 1st class. Also has all the presence of a private jet.

20. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    and a Lav.

The range of SETP's is awesome. My PC12 is a 7 hour airplane. But I don't know how you do it without a Lav.

21. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The Evolutions on controller.com seem to be asking under $1.5, and I would guess could be had for aorund $1 million. Brand new, from a quick look at Lancair's website, looks to be around $2 million by the time you're done.

I'm not a huge fan of the Mustang, although I have friends who have them and love them. They're not very fast, and while the cabin is pretty nice, you are limited to just 4 in the back plus the two pilot seats.

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey Rob, what year was that hail storm? I think that was part of what killed the company. Austin had one caught up in that. At one time he had two 400s.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I think they had like 40 planes on paddock and evidently not enough insurance for them, put them under.

24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #24 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I googled and found this from Austin, he's a scary brilliant but fun guy to know. He has had his share of bad luck! You have to read this..most of his blogs are very well written and will make you lol. From www.x-plane.com

Why Does God Hate Lancairs?

25. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sooooo you'd rather have an Evolution for the same price? Evolution isn't faster or larger.