Very rare paint colour | FerrariChat

Very rare paint colour

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by belfry, Apr 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    #1 belfry, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 2002 360 is painted "Orange Flame". I understand that it is the only one in the world painted this colour by Ferrari. It was a special order by a Sheik for Kuwait.

Does anyone know how I would go about ordering touch up paint? Most web sites don't list "Orange Flame"
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    I would contact your Ferrari dealer (if you are in the USA I would contact FNA) and have them talk to the factory directly to see what they can do.

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #3 finnerty, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Somewhere on the car, in the paperwork, or from Ferrari via the Dealership network, there will be a PPG number for that paint color code ---- once you have that, any quality paint / body shop that deals with PPG paints should be able to either source touch up paint or mix some up for you. It may not be cheap, but it will be available.

BTW, I highly doubt the official Ferrari name for that color is "orange flame"........ but, it may very well be the Chrysler or GM name for it --- which is likely where it came from in the first place and from where Ferrari sourced it. So, once you have the PPG code, you may want to try running it through Chrysler and GM parts sources where it will be readily available and much cheaper to purchase.

Ferrari, just like every other car maker, does have special colors mixed up just for them by PPG which are proprietary ...... but, this surely will not be one of them as they don't use enough volume to justify it on this one.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I had another thought that might help.....

That color looks very similar to a color Lotus used for a while around the same time frame. The Lotus color name was "Blaze Orange" (I think ?). You might want to look that one up through the Lotus sources, and see if it cross-references ---- being that both Ferrari and Lotus would have sourced their paints from European distributors, it is reasonable that they may have shared some paints with each other. Plus, Lotus borrowed a lot of stuff from GM (and Toyota)...... so, it might eventually trace back to a GM paint as I suggested above.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #5 GuyIncognito, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

indeed, Chrysler used a remarkably similar color in the early 2000's....on the Prowler :eek:

(may also have been used on the Viper(?))

this might be it.

PPG code 61930
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    wow what a beautiful and unique car for you to own! is it also a gated 6 speed?

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    1) Look at the PPG decal in the trunk and get the number off of it. Then call both PPG and FNA and go from there.

2) You can also remove the fuel lid and take it to a top paint shop and have you mix a paint in that exact color. They have machines that scan it and can mix it for you. It is easier if you can give them the paint code from which to start. It's metallic so the size and amount of metallic flake will be crucial.

8. burmang

burmang Rookie

Sep 19, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Gaurav Burman
    I live next door to where this 360 is parked and saw it today. I was thinking what a beautiful colour.......small world....

9. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    I believe Dante Culpepper owned a 360 spider in that color as well

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you try contacting a Ferrari dealer?

11. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Cool car and color!!!

PDG

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk