ford gt application | FerrariChat

ford gt application

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by islandtrader, Apr 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Anybody do this yet? Seems like it would be almost impossible to get picked for one of the 500.

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/

This is my favorite question of the process:
    Provide a link to a short video to help express why you would be a good Ford GT owner. (Videos must be 60 seconds or less in length and be located on a public facing site - i.e. YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)

2. Petrol

Petrol Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    The fact that they're asking for things like videos doesn't mean a lot of serious buyers will submit them. They're only taking applications for two months, they may not even get 500 applications from serious buyers.

High end exotic cars always seem to sell out these days, but they don't always sell out quickly. It took years for them to sell all the Veyrons, I believe it even took a couple years before the Porsche 918 was sold out. The price point is a little different, but not that different.

3. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    It seems Ford is trying too hard to play in the exotics. I've seen the GT in person at a car show. Workmanship and finish beg the question of value at $450,000 ($500,000 with sales tax in most states).

4. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Honestly I think its pretty cool... Different but cool. Yes its an ecoboost engine, not cool sounding for sure.

5. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Engine sounds horrible, no thanks.

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Love the 'Eco boost' sticker on the engine. There's a pic of it through the back glass on the cover of r&t from maybe 6 mos ago. Who signed off on that?! I don't see these going for anything near what a mclaren f1 (pick your super car) is going for now in say 20 yrs

7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I'm pretty sure that no one saw the 2005-2006 Ford GT going for double it's MSRP 10 years later (and they made 4,000 of them).

Jimmy

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I wonder if the car at the shows is a prototype and thus not truly representative of final quality? I bet they will have a nice car.

9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes it does.... We call it the Ford Flatulator... because, well, you get the point....

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Massively different price range. McLaren just sold 1000 $400K cars (675LT), and Lamborghini has sold 5000 $400-600K Aventadors.

The new GT will be sold out on day 1 and low to mid-$400K is a steal. Getting a new GT will essentially be free money. And if it is successful at LeMans (like a win) it will be worth even more.

11. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    $400k plus msrp for a Ford ? LOL

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Well, I mentioned the F1 b/c they are going for such a premium these days ($12M to $15M). Maybe that's why they are only making 500-McLaren only made 106 F1s.

Glad they made the car, and yeah I could bear to take one even with the EcoBoost sticker ha ha. I was surprised they didn't use some hopped up version of the flat crank v8 in the Mustang. They probably tried to go with a little more displacement and it didn't test well. I'm not sure how they even pull it off with the mustang engine-that's pretty slick

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Everything about this car is one big PR stunt.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Still crazy IMO.

15. petretta

petretta Karting

Mar 5, 2010
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    DP
    I just finalized my application but I am guessing I have a 0.01% chance of getting an allocation. I would assume every current GT owner will want one and seeing as F Cars get no preferential treatment I am SOL. What's also interesting is the value they place on your Social Media footprint. Looks like another negative for me. LOL.

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    So, Ford should mind it's manners and just make F-150's and Mustangs?

I think it's great that Ford is making this car, I fail to see how it's a "stunt".

Jimmy

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Just so we don't re-write history, the number of buyers determined the number of F1's made, not McLaren. BTW, that 106 includes the prototypes, race cars, street cars....everything. There were only 64 street F1's made.

Jimmy

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #18 TheMayor, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Blah. I never said that. But lets face some reality, shall we?

1) It's a stunt because the only reason they are doing it is to try to rekindle their "success" over Ferrari in the 1960's and that they can make "an exotic" even though they have no long term interest in the business or in racing.

2) They know people are not going to drive these things and only hold them for increased value, thereby giving themselves more and more PR at every resale.

3) Asking thousands of people to post a video on YouTube about how great it would be if they would by a Ford is something I would guess is right out of a High School.

Its a PR stunt. Ok, some 400 "lucky" people will get one but I can imagine the outrage here if Ferrari asked it's potential LaFerrari owners to post a Youtube clip of themselves to get the chance to buy one.

It's childish.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Problem was they did not sell for msrp, they sold for almost double. Think that was a good bet on 10 years.

Now they did fall back to 125k for higher mileage examples, and about 170k for pristine. I went to a dozen dealers when they were first announced, but never would I have paid the 225-250k gouged price.

20. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    i heard only 250 being built,

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I totally agree.

22. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    #22 dbk, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Yes, let's.

Yes, I would call Ford's commitment to performance very much a "stunt."

The stunt began with the 2014 unification of all global performance entities (Team RS, SVT, Ford Racing, etc) etc under the banner of Ford Performance, and the convergence of their global operations. This stunt includes the increasing unification of road car and racing development teams based out of a single facility near Dearborn.

The stunt was extended with the commitment to build 12 new Ford Performance vehicles by 2020, to join a lineup that includes cars like the Raptor, GT350/R, and Focus RS which are currently dominating magazine covers worldwide and racking up awards as some of the best performance cars available, not just in their segments, but period.

Now granted, these cars are for the commoner. Are they performance vehicles? Yes. But do they have the kind of prestige that is worthy of wearing red pumas, socks, shorts, underoos, polo, ascot and hat while watching Sebastien Vettel narrowly escape the IED strapped to his chassis as it detonates on his out lap? Of course not. Plebs.

Obviously they have no long term interest beyond their stated commitment, massive worldwide expenditures, rapidly expanding performance product portfolio, and participation across multiple racing series around the globe. How dare they build a car to sit atop the pinnacle of that structure. I mean, it's not like they built one a decade ago which was a resounding success.

I really admire your ongoing and total commitment to being incorrect on this topic. You literally could not be more wrong here, and that is an achievement worthy of accolade. When it comes to this, one of us is fairly close to the people and the process; well-versed in both who Ford wants behind the wheel of the GT and why they want them there. The other is...you.

Ford probably had the idea that their request for the average annual mileage put on your prior generation GT, and whether your GT had ever been on a track, if you have a competition license, what other types of events you've participated in, etc on the application may be a tip off that they'd like the new cars to get driven as intended. But obviously Ford has not met TheMayor.

I was sitting at the table at Dearborn a while back and when they said (paraphrasing) "We want these cars to be driven from day 1. We really appreciate people who will take these cars out to share them with the public and use them as they were intended," I knew I should have corrected them. "Uh guys, what I THINK you meant to say was 'we know people are not going to drive these things and only hold them for increased value, thereby giving us more and more PR at every resale,' correct?"

Quickly, let's rewind to 6 months ago:

Now that it's in writing that this is absolutely, utterly, 100% not the case at all or in any way, would you like to perhaps reassess your certainties around Ford GT? Let me guess: no.

It's 500. In the next two model years (which I will submit they may not meet due to production ramp up which can always change things). With several additional model years to follow. But yes, it's a total outrage. It's much, much worse than saying you need to endlessly buy a succession of cars on terms we dictate, but if you pay us $13k to attend Cavalcade you "may" advance like 1 or 2 guys forward, and if you spend a couple million bucks running a Challenge car that will really move you up. But seriously, no guarantees on that TdF, mmmkay?

23. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    Oh, and p.s, please let's not wag tongues about "it's a Ford" and what that entails. My $400k F12 had ****tier paint than my $40k Mustang GT.

24. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Yes it seems rich, but I suspect those lucky enough to get one will be able to flip for a nice profit.

25. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Goddam...get the popcorn. Nice takedown, dbk. Even the French and Russian judges gave you a '10' for artistic impression.