US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace | Page 7 | FerrariChat

US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace

Discussion in '612/599' started by tortesq1, Sep 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    Cars in europe moove from 630 to 670 keuro with 6 000 to 15 000 km

2. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
  3. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Absolutely LOVE this GTO. Been following it since listed at F of SF for $895K. F of SF never listed her with cars.com or autotrader.com, etc. and car never sold. Now relisted by owner on Ebay. I was verbally told by seller that the reserve is $800K and IMHO its a super rare (1 of 5 with full factory XX track package) and super sexy. All it needs are carbon shields to be a super model. I'm smitten with this one. The only thing I question is where they obtained the information that there were only 12 black US spec GTO's. That there were just 12 black (of the 125) US spec GTO's makes sense but I'd like to have a citation to something from FNA or Maranello. For that matter were there 12 black GTO's of all shades (ie. nero, nero daytona, nero setoso, nero stellato, nero opaco, matte black, etc.) or just 12 in plain old "nero" ?

4. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    If anyone is interested in buying the car please PM/email, I would be more than happy to help with any questions about the car.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats an incredible car. I love it. Please don't change the shields. I think they are meant to be the color of Modena.

6. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    #156 glob1971, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    This was ROMO's GTO which was NOT an original US spec GTO. It was a Canadian GTO converted to US spec.

Also another GTO for sale today at Motostalgia with 84 miles. Its also NOT a US spec GTO and was originally from Mexico. Not sure what it will sell for.

So far the only US spec GTO whih has been sold publicly was the one sold at auction in January, 2016 in Arizona for $770K. I think its important to at least compare apples to apples as there were only approx. 125 original US spec. GTO's.

8. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Thanks for information, i wasn't aware this was Romo's GTO. You are fully right, we shall compare apples to apples, this NOT original US spec can be a problem for purist.

9. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    You guys really are purists. We got 10 delivered in oz and any potential future ones would be very welcome rather than frowned upon:).

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I looked at this car at FOW when it was there and knew it was ROMOs car and the history I would have paid that kind of price for the car .. At the time.....FYI a Canadian spec car comes thru FNA and has no difference other then the speed reads in KM and temp is on C this maybe easily changed.. The sticker on the car even says it meets USA specs etc?. I recall when ROMO purchased the cAr I believe he got it from KULU a Canadian dealership
    A nice buy for someone I did not realize it was at Amelia .. I just figured it was sold....

11. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Agreed. I asked the factory to fix carbon shields pre delivery. They refused saying no GTO would leave the factory with anything other than the correct shields. They advised to fix post delivery. My response was if that was how Ferrari wanted to spec an authentic 599 GTO, it was good enough for me, no carbon shields on my GTO.

12. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Agree beautiful car and $687,500 (with premium) for a 4500 mile car isn't exactly giving it away. The problem is that down the road the Country of origin of a car becomes an issue. I'm the first one to say so what they are truly the same exact car after a conversion, but the issue is obvious when you look at premiums placed on other US spec supercars such as an Enzo, F50 or F40. If your selling a US spec Enzo, F50 or F40 its simply a huge advantage (regardless of import restrictions) in the US marketplace. Buyers in the US prefer original US spec. cars. Thats the empirical bottom line. In 20 years when our GTO's are 25+ years old (and there are no import restrictions) will the Country of origin still matter ? Well whats more valuable to a US buyer, all else being equal (ie. mileage, condition, etc.) a US spec F40 or a ROW F40 ? You already know the answer. Again, I'm not condoning this perception or preference, just stating what the reality of the situation is (at least in 2016).

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I don't really need to get into a lengthy debate on US vs candian cars my only point was it is a nice car and when I looked at it at FOW the asking price was much higher and I did not buy it
    Larry

14. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Motostalgia's non-US spec. 84 mile GTO (from Mexico) sold for $770K (with premium). Be interested in seeing what an 84 mile US spec. GTO would go for. I'd think $900K+. Same seller from Mexico sold his 599SA for $1.25M (all in).

Anybody here buy either GTO sold yesterday in Amelia Island ?

15. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Looks like a good buy!!

16. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This happens all the time. Knowledgable buyers have to abide by the fact that they are going to miss deals because sellers get talked into high offers and then don't want to be seen capitulating. I literally can't count how many offers on Miami real estate that I made, had to face the "That is an insulting bid..." push back, only to find out later that it sold even below where I bid! Timing is everything, I guess. The only conclusion is to make the bid if you want the asset at the price you think is fair and stick to your guns. after that, you have no control.

Frustrating.

17. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    If I see anything I really want, and if I can stretch, and I know it's very special/rare, I don't risk losing the item because of haggling, I pay the asking price and sort value adds. Whether it's a car or property, even in Miami! I secure the item I exactly want without compromise. Long term it's also always worked out well money-wise.

18. tmario

tmario Formula Junior

May 11, 2004
    New York
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Could be, but someone got it at "my" price which was the ironic part. It's worked out for me to stick by my value guns even if I've missed out on some things.

I do see a bifurcation between "ultimate" and "everything else" and do agree that for the former, you just have to pay. I have never put myself in that game because it is too elusive for me.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It worked out ok for me I was also looking for a 550 Barchetta at the time and it was an either or I ended getting a nice barchetta exactly as i wanted for the price i was willing to pay..
    GTO will come next.. maybe....

20. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Agreed...no difference in my mind when Ferrari of North America imports both Canadian and American cars.

21. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    This GTO still for sale?

22. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
    Sold! This car is currently located in IL.

23. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
  24. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    These GTO's are located at my local dealership F of LI. Don't know if they are still available but I'd call Gianni Mercuri to find out. They aren't the cheapest but they generally sell the best. It's where I purchased my GTO.

25. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I was at FOW the other day picking up one of my cars being serviced and I saw they had 3 GTOs for sale two white ones with very low miles and a very nice red car with a few miles .. the red car would be perfect in my mind ... might have to keep my eye on that one...