Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 99 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Guys I appreciate all the replies. Believe me I all ways said I would never sell. I want to keep this for my son. Problem is I'm thinking about the responsibility of leaving an old car such as keeping it going etc. I was only talking of getting something newer but that's gonna be more expense if something goes wrong with electronics etc. My real frustration is with the body shop
    As far as " estimates" everyone in the Chicago area is time and material. And believe me, I brought it to the first shop and after seven weeks he decides to raise the price with out even starting on it. So I took it out of there. I then took it to my first body shop of choice who was more expensive but I like the guy and his shop so I said let's start on the rear valences to see where we are at. Well it needed some trunk well peices as well. 5 small pcs of metal cutout shaped and welded. 3500 bux. Ok at least it's done and I'm glad. Went over what I wanted to do with the owner as a recap and the new estimate is 29k. Holy,.,,.. Really my car is in good shape. Some issues like rust in the valances as I explained and an ill fitting door skin from the first bare metal job in2002 (body shop went out of biz. And i paid the guy that worked there to finish the car. We had to Sneak in at night to finish it!) I guess body shops never loose. I trust every one but unless you are there you really don't know what the hours really are. Ya think I would get an estimate and come out under that number? Never. I really want her back in Avorio Safari

2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Twentynine thousand dollars... I can see why you've turned to the interwebs. I thought we might be toiling over $10k (a number which I would even question), but 29? That better be *perfect* in every way.

Since you're already up that way, reach out to Fchat member (and sponsor) "BRADAN." I believe they're in Canada. Based on the threads I've seen and the work they do, I would trust them implicitly. If you need to find a "true north" on your restoration compass after having been already jerked around, start there.

Nobody expects these types of things to be Maaco-cheap, but there has to be some common ground... Best of luck.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok so as if im not stressed out enough. I got a "estimate" from another body shop. looks ok I guess. So I called the other shop who did the rear valance panels and is supposed to fix the door skin alignment and I told him to only do the metal work on the door skin and leave it in primer. Holy man . "no I wont do that" and " no I cant" and "its better if the other shop does it" and blah blah blah. are you serious right now? I cant hire someone to just do metal work and give me what I ask for? Is it because if he doesn't complete the whole area he cant hide the pricing if he only does the entire repair? come on this is totally stupid

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #2454 full_garage, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bradan is on Long Island in New York. They've done quite a few GT4's including my award winning 75- Dan Mackay is the guy - (631) 585-8600
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Awesome what was the cost on that? Just sayn

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #2456 full_garage, Apr 14, 2016
    My car was completely rust free- a 13,000 mile time capsule, but cosmetically the paint was completely shot. Dan did a bare metal respray, fixed all the factory leading, welded up some of the shoddy holes made for the USA bumpers, and restored all the plastic parts. Luckily my interior was basically brand new- so my expense would probably be less than a typical worn driver.

Won't disclose the price but at the time it put me hopelessly upside down, but with today's values it seems like a bargain. But who cares- I always loved these- i LOVE this car and will never sell it.

One more shot-

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    well I didn't think you would say. just curious . its really cool

8. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Body shops don't like taking over someone else's work. Especially prior metal work. They want to know it was done right.

I'm in the same boat. My car has been red for 26 years but was originally Pino Verde Metallizzato. No rust or body damage, interiors perfect. All the estimates I got from good body shops were in the $30k+ range for a windows out bare metal color change. And no guarantee it won't be more. I almost wish my paint was bad so I had an excuse to go back to Green over tan.

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    cool color combo jim, the body shop should let me do what I want to do.

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yeah sorry about that- I sort of have a "frequent Flier" thing with Dan so my costs may not be the same as someone elses- Then again I'm a giant pain in the ass customer so maybe I pay more?

11. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    got one of those hubcaps if anyone needs one ...wheels long gone

12. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Bryan's shop is top notch and they do excellent work. He's done a lot of work on my father's cars and he's always been really happy. I feel your pain...$30k for to strip the car to bare metal and respray ain't cheap but a top quality job like this will run you $20-$30k easy. My father used to restore cars and and jobs like this started at $20k.

I just dropped my Rosso Rubino '75 GT4 off at Bryan's over the weekend and when I pulled into his shop and got out of the car your Argento Metelezato GT4 was staring me right in the face. It was really cool to see another GT4 as haven't seen any others around Chicago. For what it's worth I think the car looks really sharp in Argento Metelezato and the paint looked pretty good to me. I'd save yourself the money and have him just fix the areas that need paint. If your really concerned with the value of the car then it's not worth the respray to get the car back to Avorio Safari.

I had Bryan restore two Cromodora Astro III mirrors for me and he's going to fill a hole on the driver side door and paint match where a previous owner had drilled a new hole to fit an Alfa mirror. To give you an idea...filling the hole, painting the small area around the mirror base, blending the paint and then clear coating the entire door is $1k. The mirrors were a pretty penny too but they look fantastic and I'm more of a period correct person so it's worth it to me. Once I've got a period correct Cromodora mirror on the car the only thing that's not not correct is the wood Nardi steering wheel which I prefer to the original as it's a bit larger and lends the interior a more vintage look.

I'm on the prowl for a Euro 308 GT4 or even a 208 (preferably a project car) that I'd like restore as Grigio Ferro Metallizzato over red so probably why I like your Argento Metelezato.

My car should be ready by Friday and I intend to drive down to Oakbrook this Saturday for FCA's "Ferraris and Coffee" at Labriola Bakery (22nd and Meyers Road) at 8am.

Good luck with your GT4 which ever direction you go and see you around!

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Guys just to be clear I never mentioned any shop names. This is in no way against the shop it is currently at. The owner of the shop is a great guy. This is about costs. I paid $4400 to fix 1 right valance with to trunk well walls and 2 well walls on the left. And that's with out paint!! That's approx. 1 1/2 sq ft area of work. At this rate ill blow past the estimate by 20k!
    I regret asking about current values, Ive owned this car since 2001 and ijust want to put her back the way she once was. Just received confirmation from the factory that she was a solid Avorio car with no boxer paint. I had that feeling all along. Which makes it more rare, pretty cool. Noah thx for the comments on my car. Rosso rubino is great on a gt4. Metallics look great on a gt4. Im planning on taking my car from the shop today,I hope to see your car. If not maybe in Oak Brook

14. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #2464 Noah_AMF, Apr 20, 2016
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That looks great! I just sent you a PM.

16. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Hi

Your plater lost all the inscribed words " Cromodora Astro III "

Al

17. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Al - Yes, I noticed that and wasn't too happy about it. I'm going to talk to the shop that restored them. My car is a driver and not concours quality so I'm OK with it but if it can be redone to bring out the lettering properly then I'm all for it. In your experience, is the "Cromodora Astro III" lost forever or can it be restored...thoughts?

Thanks!

Noah

18. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    #2468 Strictly Ferrari, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    Noah,

I was only trying to make sure you saw that. He would have had an engraver make a copy first but I may be able to help you as I had many rechromed.

I am very busy getting our new building completed so give me till next week so I can in touch with him.

Al

19. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    That would be awesome, Al! Can't thank you enough and standing by :)

Cheers!

20. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
  21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I do like the red inside....

22. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
  23. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    love that color combo

24. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    I hope the bidders do some research on this one, 10062. wasnt this the car that was being sold as a targa conversion back in 2006. anyone have pictures of it then?

Ferrari 308 308GT4 | eBay

25. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Per the dino registry:

Imported new into the U.S. by: "Chinetti-Garthwaite", East-Coast distributors of Ferrari. First registered in August, 1977 and originally painted Metallic Blue with the lower matt-black Boxer paint trim.
    Offered for sale by Mr. D. C. of West Bloomfield, Michigan back in early 1979, with 14,300mi on the odometer.
    Towards the end of 1979, the car suffered damage to the front and was repaired by: "MotorKraft" of (city and state unknown).
    Offered for sale in 1980 and advertised in "Hemmings Motor News", issue: June 1980.
    Offered for sale in 1981 and advertised in "Ferrari Market Letter", issue: 0612.
    Offered for sale in October, 2006 on ebay. The car was in poor condition, and part of the roof was removed to create a "targa" top (similar to the 308 GTS). The car sold, but the seller cancelled the sale after the end of the auction as there was no title for the car.

The restoration looks meh... They took liberties on the interior - all dashboards were vinyl, I think. The air con vents look weird. The whole leather just doesn't look original. No mirrors, but that is how they came from the factory to US. Huge gap on the front hood to nose/headlight area. It is an early '75 but it has a series 2 grille. There is a picture that focuses on the lower rocker that looks like they just painted over rust? Is anyone else seeing that? Door gaps look bad.

If the mileage is true and the numbers match, this is a lot of work for somebody who wants a driver. I can't imagine making a car correct again after hacking off the roof - it would be hard.

I'm not a purist for my own car but looking at this from that perspective since that is how most buyers think.