US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace | Page 8 | FerrariChat

US Spec. 599 GTO Marketplace

Discussion in '612/599' started by tortesq1, Sep 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    LARRYH its spring, decent weather and the perfect time to add an absolute beast to your collection. What are you waiting for ? I promise you that the GTO won't be nearly as refined as your F12 and will always provide you with monumental visceral thrills. YOLO !

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THis is true except I don't want to sell the F12 but might sell another ...Definitely want a GTO .. drove my SCUD back home from FOW (about 200 miles) and kept thinking the GTO would be an easier drive.. and have the same excitement ... I real like the F1 vs DCT for performance driving..
    so we will see ....

3. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    I think NoVA/MD has a lock on like 30% of the GTOs across the country!

4. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Couldn't agree more with respect to tranny feel. Had a 13 458 Italia as my DD for 2 years before I purchased the GTO and while DCT was smoother the single clutch in GTO is much more visceral. Only downside of GTO is that you will feel all sensations which is unusual for a GT car. GTO has veneer of refinement but it's really a wild beast when pushed - the tranny perfectly suits it's personality (particularly in race mode and when you wind her out). Best investment I've ever made in my emotional well being.

5. GRahal09

GRahal09 Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    If anyone knows of a blue or yellow GTO that ever comes for sale please give me a heads up!

6. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Who are you (enthusiast or dealer) and where are you located ?

7. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    A well known race car driver...

I have a special yellow :)

8. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I don't want to assume anything and candidly don't want to waste my time looking out for a dealer seeking to source a car. An enthusiast is a different story. Also would need to know whether GTO must be US spec. Yellow/Blue in US spec. aren't common exterior colors. Vast majority of US spec. GTO's appear to be (a shade of) red or white.

9. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    US Spec here :

https://hoefnagels.nu/aanbod/ferrari-599-7/

Some will surely say it is an EU spec, just look at this movie on the main page... it is an US Spec (or kind of) and pictures photoshoped.

Should be cleared, because it has roll bar (not in US spec) and sport seats.

https://hoefnagels.nu/

10. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    A magnificent GTO but I do not believe its US spec. Tell tale sign of US spec. are the long thin side markers (both front and rear side panels) which are not present on the Hoefnagels giallo GTO. IMHO the side markers are ugly and on a darker color GTO a Novitec kit can do the trick to bury the negative aesthetic. The euro spec GTO's are IMHO better looking without the side markers and more desirable if specced with the roll bar and sport seats (which were not available on US spec GTO's). Importable into the US in just 19 more years .......

11. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN
    Not US-Spec, but middle east spec.

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Stunning GTO!!

Have there been an recent sales of GTO's?

13. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    ^^ I know the original owner of that car. He traded it for a 599 SA about 2-3 years ago.

14. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It seems some of the GTOs from a couple of months ago are sold or no longer for sale.

16. GRahal09

GRahal09 Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    If anyone knows of any GTO for sale other than those listed, please let me know. Yellow would be ideal, or anything else unusual! Thanks

17. GRahal09

GRahal09 Rookie

Nov 28, 2011
    Also the white GTO at Goldman I owned, and its a great one. I loved that thing, I may buy it back! Just if anyone is looking for sure that one is very clean.

18. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Your GTO was beautiful with the black roof and wheels. Why did you sell her before finding a yellow or blue GTO ? Candidly, the odds of finding a yellow or blue US spec GTO for sale isn't very good although I know of 1 yellow US spec GTO that sold in the past year. I still haven't seen a blue (in any shade) US spec GTO for sale over the past couple of years.

19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
  20. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    $748K (all in) seems like buyer got a fair and reasonable deal for a rather special/different spec. The (very) red interior and wheels to me required a unique buyer and had a limited audience but that just my humble opinion. Also seems to be the only GTO for sale at the Monterey auctions.

As an aside seems that US spec. TDF's appear to be in a trade range (like the LaF) that will be at least double to triple MSRP ($1.2M-$1.5M+) depending on the spec., the 2011 GTO will soon become a relative bargain for a LE V12 wailing banshee of a beast. Just throwing it out there but, all else being equal, is a 2016 TDF really worth 2 2011 GTO's ?

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    For the market and those that own them the answer apparently is most definitely! The cars are not really comparable though. Different eras and technologies improved and refined, much better chassis, performance, motor, brakes, transaxle, electronics, aero, etc. The 4WS seems to make the car troublesome to operate in certain conditions though so perhaps too much technology. Ferrari was very stingy with the allocations keeping the prices high. Owners are in love but with stratospheric values its certain there will be flipping so you should be able to get one.

22. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    I concur, to a certain extent, but how long will the TDF euphoria last ? We can ALL agree that at a $500K MSRP and even at $700K for a heavily specced car the TDF is a good "value". While the TDF appears to be a challenging driver from all reviews, I would not pay double (let alone triple) MSRP for ANY car to a "flipper". The TDF is an evolution of the GTO (and the original 599XX I'd add) and while it does have significant new technologies and more power its not like the GTO is a wilting wall flower compared to the TDF (or ANY street car for that matter). So while I would have purchased a TDF at MSRP with zero hesitation had I received an allocation there are better choices out there in the marketplace where sellers are asking double or triple MSRP. As an example, at the $1.5M price point I'd rather have a Weissach edition 918. Actually at $1.5M I'd look for a P1 with some miles on it as my #1 choice although I doubt a P1 would be easy to source at $1.5M. IMHO at the point where a new model like a TDF is selling for at least double MSRP I can't help but thinking that our GTO's are significantly underpriced and its just a matter of time until the GTO and TDF prices are VERY similar. It might take another 5 or even 10 years BUT thats how I see it. Theres just no way that a TDF will trade on a long term basis for double what the GTO does. Either TDF prices will come down precipitously or GTO prices will rise. My speculative guess is that we will have a little bit of both occur. My 2 cents.

23. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Hi Tortesq1, i fully agree with your statement and would never purchase 3x MSRP any car. Although the F12 TDF is overpriced, it makes the 599 GTO a real bargain for half of the price. I do believe price of 599 GTO will continue to rise, driven by (too) high speculation on the F12 TDF.

24. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    In reality, the only elements of the 599>F12 (or, 599GTO=>F12tdf) that are "evolutionary" is that they are 2 seat, V12, front engine GT cars. And with apologies, while a lot of brainpower and IP translated from the XX cars, I'm one who doesn't buy the "Omologato" label as more than marketing (genius marketing, nonetheless). And, I do find the 599GTO to be an amazing, brutal car.

I don't study the market in detail, but my sense is the 599GTO market at present is probably about "right". There is a bell curve of prices (spec, mileage, et al) that is always blown up by someone who has the urge to pay whatever to get the car they want; sort of common in a scarce market, one sale can shift a market.

I also agree, the TDF will have an inflated but short/mid-term flipper blip, but over time will settle back down. What might prove interesting is it seems (I have no data, just see a lot of pictures) that a substantial amount of TDF's have a lot of personalization - some of which may or may not spread that bell curve of buyer interest and pricing. Plus, there will be 200 more TDF"s out there than GTO's (note, I did not say 799...)

On the flipper market, there are always people who have more money than patience (or judgment) who just want THAT car, RIGHT now, and are willing to pay. These cars are expensive enough, getting to the point where regardless of your resources, are you willing to overpay?

Based on a long view of Pebble Beach so far, either everyone way overestimated market prices, the cars on offer are somehow sub-par, or people are not willing to pay up for other than the (actual) collectible pieces of artwork. Some cars (TR's) seem to be way down, some (550, SA, et al) holding well. F40's going $1.1-1.3, 288GTO for around $2M. Yes, they've appreciated and yes, they are to die for, but relatively speaking, what's the premium they've commanded after XX years?

Correct me where I'm wrong, but even for cars "holding well", the difference between a good auction price today and the original MSRP isn't that much. 430 Scud, 360 CS....Speciales are starting to back off to MSRP, Speciale Aperta still uber hot, 16M's doing well. GTO is still floating above MSRP but....