Just tuned my 488! | FerrariChat

Just tuned my 488!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by frankiefred, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    #1 frankiefred, May 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just had my local shop tune my 488 on their Mustang Dyno. HOLY ****. Stock we put down 530, tuned (with stock exhaust) we hit 603 at the wheels. Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperating for the past two weeks, but I CAN'T WAIT to put her through the paces.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    600+HP on a Mustang dyno is healthy!

3. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    are they adjusting / tinkering with the ECU at all? if not, how are they upping the HP?

4. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    they remapped the ECU. I have a BMC airfilter sitting here for it, and hopefully the exhaust will be done next week. The 603whp is just from remapping the computer.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So they just cranked the boost?

6. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    From the tuner:

"we adjust load tables, torque limiters, fueling, ignition,etc "

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Ferrari says that it intentionally leveled out the torque on the 488 throughout the rev range. I suspect that the tuners will unrestrict the torque limiting, which will produce some higher torque and hp levels at higher rpm at the expense of torque and hp at lower rpm (possibly affecting driveability).

8. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord

This.

Ferrari did it to make the engine feel more N/A - namely more intensity as the revs build instead of a mountain of torque at low revs followed by not much more at the limiter.
    The car is likely to be quicker AND have lumpier and more exciting power delivery.
    Should be fun!

9. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I probably don't have the guts to tune mine. I hate to think what a grenaded engine costs out of warranty.

10. Murcielago_Boy

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Magnusson Moss act of 1975 enacted by the Federal Trade Comission means Ferrari have to PROVE the new tune blew up the engine...

It means you can do ANYTHING to the car and they can only refuse warranty on the parts systems which are directly damaged by the mods.

Just a thought.

11. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt

I'm pretty sure a tune would affect an engine replacement warranty.

12. Murcielago_Boy

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    As I said my friend, you may be right but only IF the tune DID. Ferrari and every other manufacturer in the world, would, under US LAW have to PROVE the failure is because of the tune.

Why?

Because otherwise you could change the wiper blades on your car and the manufacturer could void warranty and Magnusson Moss act came about to stop any ridiculous warranty limitations like these...

Block Exemption says the same in Europe:
    Your Car's Warranty - Scuderia Car Parts

13. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    the dyno runs look pretty linear to me, and like you said, the intensity increases with the RPM's (which makes sense as the turbo's spool). Unless I am not understanding what you are saying, it LOOKS like it should drive the same, just a lot more power. Now, if there was some big spike in HP and TQ down low I could see that changing how it drives... I'll report back after some driving!

I suspect when we see a speciale or scuderia version of the 488, it'll have similar power to my car now... but I have been wrong before!

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Congrats on the tune!

Let's us know how she drives. You should def feel a difference going from 530 to 600!

15. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Who tuned it? Was it difficult to access the ECU? How much was the tune ?

16. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    I saw that car the other day..in philly.

17. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

This is not a NA car where you're swapping the cam for high end power and hurting the low end tq numbers. In a turbo car you will make more power across the board. High and low end will be improved.....

18. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anytime the ECU is re-flashed the ECU logs the change. The dealer will know that the tune has changed and with a bit of work can determine what tabes were altered. If the flash was not authorized by the factory and affects tables normally associated with emissions or performance, it probably voids the warrantee. Flashing back to the original tune is logged as another change and looks even more suspicious. It's getting darn near impossible to make tuning changes without leaving electronic fingerprints. The evidence is often times stored in memory of some inconspicuous module that the tuner (hacker) would never look to clear.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #19 MalibuGuy, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    What you have gained may amount to most of the next generation gains for the 488 in five years.
    I doubt Ferrari is going to significantly update the block or heads in the 488M. But that increase may be more than what your tune has accomplished, since Ferrari always guilds the lily!

70 hp gain is probably no issue for the block or heads.

I'm not sure if the turbos are going to suffer from increased heat. The new IHI turbos are not the old fashioned ones.

Maybe FChatters who have some experience in tuning turbo V8s like the MClaren can chime in

For guys who tune their cars, there is more to life than worrying about the factory warranty. If things blow up one just pays to fix it and then either keeps the car or trades it. Money is money. We use it to get something or some experience--Bullingdon Club!

20. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Money is Money and you are assuming the risk. The risk is probably 50 to 60k.

21. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    Wow. Awesome gains. Please let us know how much faster she is now from 0-100. And 60-130. Ect. Love turbo engines. So easy to get more power out of them👍🏻

22. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I think the car can easily handle a conservative tune. I've had no problems with tuning mi other cars. Just make sure it's a reputable tuner and be prepared to take the hit if there's a problem.

23. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell

Interesting you quote Scuderia parts warranty info, whilst what you/they say might be correct it is impossible to renew a warranty on your Ferrari with these parts fitted - it means removing and refitting annually to get the warranty extension.

24. Murcielago_Boy

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Doesn't matter even if the dealer can see the ECU has been modified. Still needs to show the modifications have broken the car! I have modded all my cars and the biggest problem was when my 458 whcih had cats, exhaust and ecu, developed a stumble on part throttle. This turned out out to be down to track tyres I had put on, but they'd didn't say a word about the other mods and knew the ECU had been heavily mapped. my dealer also turns a blind eye and extends warranty with mods too although not sure they all do.

Back to 488, how does tuned power delivery vary VS stock?

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL.

If you tune your car and Ferrari voids your warranty for it, how exactly are you going to fight it? Spend obscene amounts of money in court fighting Ferrari's engineers and experts?

1. Ferrari voids your warranty.
    2. You tell Ferrari to prove it.
    3. They say no, sue us.
    4. You spend untolds amount of money in court.
    5. Ferrari sends some experts and engineers to court who say it was most likely your tune.
    6. You bring your tuner who has spent 10 whole hours with the car vs a million man hours in developing and testing at Ferrari.
    7. You lose your court case, you lose your warranty, you have to pay to fix your engine, and you're out probably $50K in legal expenses.
    8. Maybe they ask the courts to make you pay their legal fees. Ouch.

In reality it never gets passed step 3 because no one in their right mind would attempt to do this knowing that they modded their care and almost certainly caused the damage, and you have no other options. You just lose your warranty, pay for your blown engine, and chalk it up as a learning experience.