Just tuned my 488! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Just tuned my 488!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by frankiefred, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Wow, way to go mate, its obvious the 488 had massive tuneable capabilities as any TT does

2. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    Well done frank and enjoy it.

Dont why too many people here concerned about the engine and the warranty ETC while the owner him self dosent care about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord

Fantastic!
    FrankieFred - go for some kind of exhaust with sport cats etc.. You're bound to get even more BHP!

4. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    The c7 is in Florida and I haven't had a chance with the C6. It's my daily and I dont get to the shop as much as I would like.

I think he said they used CMC, or CMD for the 488. Nice lineup!

It picked up 10whp over the tune with the filter.

Thanks! and that's the plan.

5. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    amazing power gain looking forward to seeing 488 with down pipes and exhaust and re tuned for optimization . very awesome.

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I am looking forward to our first 488GTB as well. I can only imagine the sensation of another 100hp...

I like your wheels too!

It's nice of you to quote the FTC , but it's not quite that simple.

Yes, Ferrari will have to prove the failure , which the owner would pay for, once it has been proven. Only adding to the over all expense of the repair.

You are correct, the owner CAN do ANYTHING they want, it's their car.
    BUT. that same owner is accepting the cost to repair when fails due to that " anything " you did.

A tune may not void the radio or a/c warranty - but don't hold your breath getting anything driveline related covered...

^^^^ This

That's interesting.

Since you are so confident , shoot me the last 6 of your VIN, let's see if your car is flagged in MODIS already. If not, I am sure Ferrari is aware of this thread, all this talk of how you are pulling one over on them is sure to peak their interest.

Regarding turning a blind eye... There is a difference in having an understanding and ignoring.

My policy has always been that an owner tell me what they have done to their car in advance.

We will go into it as warranty, but as soon as I find that the failure was caused by the upgrade, the cost to repair is on them.

If I find out about the upgrade AFTER the fact, I'm charging double... for wasting everyones time.

I am a big proponant of the MMWA , I have actually gone to court over it, both on the client's side and the dealership side.

It makes things fair, it does not make it so you can get one over on the dealer for free.

^^^^ Well stated.

Except most would take it to court, if they are right, and make you pay for the diag, the repair, and the court costs.

But that's when the car gets pulled out of the Dealership and taken to an indi shop.... ;-(

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    See and Hear!

S

8. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    quick update. Cat Bypass pipes going on tomorrow and we're going to dial in the tune for them. Dyno results asap!

9. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Awesome. Can't wait to hear the results!!!

10. 12.3:1

12.3:1 Rookie

Dec 6, 2005
    SNJ
    yo Frank. i figured that was your car. i saw the post on fb tonight. nice job dude.

it's Jared btw.

11. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    whats up Jared.

The car sounds INSANE. We went with Fabspeed cat bypass pipes.. fitment was spot on, they got them to me fast, and the pricing was great (although I suspect they will be raising it soon). If anyone is looking for a set, my local shop gave me a great deal on them and I can pass their info along to anyone interested.

I'll post dyno results shortly and a video when the shop sends it to me.

12. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord

13. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Speaking of track days and warranties and such...I guess all of you already know your car INSURANCE is probably void when you are on the track?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/automobiles/19INSURE.html?_r=0

14. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    #64 frankiefred, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Any photos of the entire stable together? Would love to see that done with the 488 fornt and center!

16. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    #66 frankiefred, Jun 21, 2016
  17. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    #67 frankiefred, Jun 21, 2016
  18. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    Simply amazing. I wonder what your favorite color is ;)

Would you ever do a loud gloss white wheel finish on any of them or something a little more subdued like a Brushed Clear?​

19. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I have a question. Looking at that dyno sheet, it looks like the added power completely drops off after 6000 rpm. The power of the stock power curve keeps rising, but the tuned curve looks to be dropping off a cliff at the end, reaching the same levels as stock. Am I missing something?

20. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    weird, I have no idea. Here is another graph.

21. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    #71 frankiefred, Jun 22, 2016
  22. frankiefred

frankiefred Rookie

Jan 24, 2008
    I actually had white wheels on my TT Gallardo for a little while, I've been considering some white wheels for my wife's RR too.

23. Wheelb

Wheelb Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 17, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Wheels Boutique
    It's ballsy that's for sure. I can only recall two instances where a customer of mine opted for the white on white - one was a Vette and the other a Panamera.

Give me a shout if you need any help on the RR. Would love to be a part of it.

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    So Ferrari made a turbo engine and tweaked it to perform like a NA. Their flagship is the La Ferrari with a NA engine.

Actions speak louder than words. One needs to pay attention.

25. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Looks better. Do you have a dyno sheet that shows the power curve to redline? Does your car redline at 7500 or 8000 rpm after the tune?