vanquish owners? | Page 26 | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    Hi,

It happened on the way to work today so I have not had a chance to run the OBD. My car is a 2006 Vanquish S (Solway Gray, about 22,000 miles on it). I got it fully sorted out by Naples Auto when I bought it and then had my mechanic go over the car as well last Summer. So it should be very well sorted. I will try and run the OBD this week-end. Any and all comments and thoughts from everybody is appreciated. Dr4

2. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Neither did the Z8 (it used an E39 M5 engine) or Ferrari 550/575... :)

Indeed, Aston Martin used for the first time a bonded chassis with aluminium, carbon and composite, that was the new technology back then in 2001. Plus, it used for the first time a single-clutch robotized gearbox so I think it was much more "a new ground" than the Z8 or 550/575.

I'm not comparing with Carrera GT or SLR of course, those are "Hypercars".

@spepmiller : have the coils been replaced already ? The check-engine light is pretty common on the Vanquish, generally it goes after you push the car really hard. It often appears when you do a lot of city driving and stuck into trafic. I don't know about the pollen fact.
    About the engine temperature, did you check your coolant level ?

3. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    Thanks Armen - the car is not running hot. Very much right in the middle of the engine temperature range and it does not budge from the middle suggesting the coolant is working great, etc.. I should check the coolant level though as you suggested.

Lately, I have been driving the car about 3KM only and then the car sits (at my new job...)... so it is overdue for a long drive and a gas fill-up.

Does the Check Engine Light reset itself after a clear drive of some time or distance?

I need to find my OBDII sensor and plug it in (am not sure where exactly on a 2006 Vanquish S) and then download a phone reader or whatever for it so I can read what it is telling me....

Keep the advise coming - very much appreciated by everybody and feel free to PM if that is useful as well. spepmiller

4. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Agree with Armen. Technology breakthrough on that car and historical milestone for Aston manufacturing. Last car assembled by hand in iconic racing factory.
    think of it this way: do you think the last car made in Maranello wont be a collectible?
    Also while I am not a fan of BMW, sticking around with other car buffs, I found the Z8 revered among a following like the 850 csi too. Not my cars but someone explained it to me and I got it. I would have never thought that car was special. I never really followed BMW besides the M1.

the VQ engine has been designed as an uncompromising thoroughbred. That, in turn, draws complains of not being user friendly in traffic. Truly designed for the empty back roads of England on cool mornings, not for today's circus of downtown London.

About the code: coils should not be a problem as it is a 2006. You must get the code (trap at the right knee level on the side). It could be anything really. but if you have not driven the car long enough and did traffic, that could be it. That car HATES traffic and short trips.
    It is a true GT that wants open space to go fast. not a good car to go shopping.

5. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    Thanks all --- took it on a longer trip and it cleared. Motoring clear now and life is good!

6. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Great ! By the way, do you have your exhaust valves opened ? ;)

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    That is typical of a Vanquish. I dont get thiese spurious codes because even if I sometimes get in traffic, I drive the car less frequently but on longer hiway trips at speeds. Typically between 1 hour and 2h. trips of 40mn are ok as I do them too.

I think that is what seems to make the difference between the guys who reports frequent spurious lights and thoses who dont see much of them.
    I saw a VQ throwing a light about a shaft sensor just because it was moved too much around back and forth in an exotic rental garage.

For a clean VQ if you start it, you are condemned to drive it forward for at least 40mn :)

8. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    Agree with both of you Countach / Armen!

9. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    #634 ArmenVanquishS, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. spepmiller

spepmiller Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Steven Pepmiller
    Very clean indeed... but I would take $140K for my 2006 Vanquish S (Solway Gray / Dark Blue interior) in Atlanta - fully sorted with about 20,000 more miles. :)

11. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    For anybody that does not think the Vanquish S is a significant Aston and future collectible has not owned one. For the life of me I don't understand why anybody wants a 500 Ferrari for 200k they drive like a buick and for not much more you can buy a used 599 or f12 which drive 100x better than a 550. I could not wait to get rid of my 550 barchetta just hated that thing. With a Vanquish S it actually drives way better than any aston that has been made since that car (or before it). Full disclosure I am biased as I own one.

12. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    I have owned both, the Vanquish sounds better, and is achingly beautiful in a way the 550 can never compete with, but in every other way the Ferrari is a superior drive.

13. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    you must of had a bad vanquish... as they say opinions vary

14. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Despite the relatively important weight of the Vanquish, the chassis of the car remains very very stiff thanks to its modern conception (using carbon fiber, a flat underfloor etc...).
    It is not the quickest car around a track but once well-mastered, this is a masterpiece for driving fast. No roll at all, very flat on the corners... the more you drive fast, the more "comfortable" the car feels. And lots of feedback from the steering. You must be careful because of the lack of DSC, that means not giving full acceleration until your wheels are not straight, but that's the rule for any car, but with the Vanquish even more. Powerful V12 + weight + no DSC = many accidents especially on wet UK roads... many Vanquish got fully "destroyed".

15. Norman75

Norman75 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014
  16. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    yes

17. Norman75

Norman75 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014
    I thought I recognized it :) It is Gorgeous!

18. ArmenVanquishS

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    By the way guys, there are only remaining 2 Vanquish/S for sale on eBay... several months ago there were around a dozen.

19. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    thanks i agree. too low mile and pristine to drive, I feel bad .

20. Norman75

Norman75 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014
    #645 Norman75, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    You should try to drive it a bit though. My car went in for service yesterday and apparently it has developed an oil leak from me not using it enough. I can't find the time to drive it and when I want to the traffic is horrendous and thus I take another car to avoid burning the clutch in bumper to bumper nightmare. Result my car has only 2280 miles (180 driven this year) and needs north of $3k to fix the leak.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Aston is miles ahead of a 550. And I love the 550. The Aston feels like a sold brick of concrete. No rattles no flex, it's chassis is a wonder. The 550 feels unfortunately rather poorly assembled in comparison.

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    3k is cheap. Fix it and drive it.

23. Norman75

Norman75 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014

It's already being fixed ;-)

24. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Norman, at $3K you got a "good" leak :)
    You ought to drive it at least 500 miles/year spread out minimum. 800 minimum is better and should be ok but when people have many cars it gets tough. The VQ is not the only car to have underuse issues. every cars get dry seals after lack of use and develope leaks... if the mices dont do a job first...

25. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    You remove the subframe for a leaking oil pan, not the engine. About 7 hours labor in total. Pumps (there are two) is a rear shelf and quarter trims out job. They aren't hard to fix if you know how to do them! :)