Major Repair work to new F12 | FerrariChat

Major Repair work to new F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by 4RE F12, May 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    Just got my F12 back from Ferrari Maserati of Vancouver (FMOV) after a leaky oil sensor at the back, ventral surface of the engine manifold forced FMOV to have to drop the crank and the engine (with only 3000km on it) in order to repair! Thank god for Ferrari's 7 year extended warranty!! Hats off to everyone at FMOV as they not only fixed my car in just over a week but they did so in a very professional manner. Their customer service was exceptional which made a very stressful situation manageable. They have earned my customer loyalty and I highly recommend them to other BC Forumites.

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Great service story. What model year is your car ?

3. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    2014 F12 Berlinetta. Purchased it April 8,2016 as a new used car with 2902km on it ;-). Problem just started couple of weeks ago when I started to see smoke billowing out of the wheel wells after giving her the beans and breaking hard. The oil leak flowed from the sensor into the crenulations b/w the manifold where it pooled and the overflow would drip down the engine block onto the headers and presto magic - lots of smoke. looked like an electrical fire at first which really freaked me out! Lesson learned -ALWAYS carry a good quality Fire Extinguisher.....

Major repair done last week with approx. 3300 km. FMOV said their best guess was that the oil sensor was not torqued to spec at the factory.

4. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wow...real scary..glad it's now sorted under warranty. I like the fire extinguisher recommendation.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Purely asking....do you want to put out the fire and then try to repair and have that on the vehicle title or let it burn and start over with the insurance?

6. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    7 year extended warranty?

I only have 3yrs warranty and 7yrs free service.

7. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
  8. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    Even with "replacement insurance" you are never going to recoup what you paid...ever...not in Canada at least. so I think I'll keep a Fire Extinguisher on hand, just in case.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can you explain at all what dropping the crank means? Did the crankshaft actually get removed from the engine? Quite a job for a tech!

10. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    Yes. Dropped as in removed in order to drop/remove engine. 40+hr labor and a first for the dealer with this make and model

11. hansw

hansw Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hans J Weber
    The "crank" is inside the engine. Perhaps you are referring to the drive shaft, which has to be disconnected from the engine in order to be able to drop the engine.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    OK, its the shaft from the engine to the diff and not the V12 internal crankshaft. I don't think this is that major other than engine removal. Since the engine is so far back, anything on that back part is likely inaccessible. I would, however, not be cool with a tech doing an engine tear down as was the basis for my question. Glad everything worked out.