Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 100 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    Run as fast as you can !!

2. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
  3. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Wow that interior makes me cringe...

4. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    #2480 davidedegiorgi, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,
    we recently got an interesting 308 GTS with a strange reaction on the paint. It's an ex California car and it has a nice and consistent crackling effect on all the panels. It only shows up close as the overcoat keeps the reflection flat.

There's a sticker that proudly states "protected with Polyglycoat".
    I presume the car has been left in the sun and the "protective" layer created this effect.
    The car looks incredible with this sort of ceramic/crocodile effect but I really don't think it was intended to react this way.

Have any of you guys seen this before?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You might get more response in a different forum. This is the GT4 market thread.

6. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    Sorry, you're absolutely right.
    Anyway, it was more about the paint that anything else so the question still stands, I guess.

7. luistino

luistino Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    Warren
    Full Name:
    Luistino Marazzi
    it will be hard sell

8. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    These could be the nicest pictures I have ever seen in a Dino GT4 ad! :D

9. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I'm assuming you are being sacastic. If it's an all original 20k miles car it could be a great find, not sure if I believe the barn find part. They are really hurting the quality of the ad with those poor pictures and lack of a detailed description. I can't tell if it still has the Dino badge on the front, I'm assuming not since the wheels and horn button have been changed and it also has the Ferrari script on the rear deck lid replacing the Dino 308GT4. Despite the ad quality I hope he gets that price.

What is the chrome on the handbrake? I wish the pictures were better because it looks like some paint overspray on the air filter housing and back window rubber gasket.

10. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    #2487 NoGoSlow, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    The listing looks quite suspicious... certainly NOT like someone trying to sell a car worth $100K. Crappy photos, limited info (e.g. S/N), etc. And, from what can be seen, it sure has a lot of wear-and-tear for a 41 year old car that has been stored for 40 years.

FWIW, too, the cost of bringing a "barn find" back to life is not trivial. My GT4 has north of $25K invested in restoring brakes, belts, hoses, carbs, rubber, etc. Half of that bill is parts, so even if you value your time at $0 per hour, it still takes some cash to get it going... and that doesn't include cosmetics.

11. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Totally agree. I spent the same bringing my car back from being stored for 25 years. The ad is a scam. I asked them for more pictures and the ones they sent were of a different car. Also their eBay ID says they are in Seattle and the car is supposedly in Beverly Hills.

12. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    I asked him for the S/N and he said he wasn't "in proximity", (I think that's what he said), to the car and promised to get back to me; he never did.

13. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Maybe we could throw him in the gorilla exhibit and have the zoo shoot him? :)

14. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    its listed on craigslist now in San Clemente. maybe not being in his proximity explains the pictures. he asked a 3 year old to take them for him. :)

1975 Ferrari Dino 308

15. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    More artistic cool pictures but not good for selling a car. From not my opinion but looking at it from an originality standpoint, it looks pretty good. ferrari badge on the trunk is wrong, steering wheel, e-brake handle, stereo are incorrect. The rest looks to be there, but the pics could be better and tell a different story. The creme interior is cool and different. '75 car for all the Californians looking for a GT4! No smog! No engine pics?!?

I'm looking to move to North County San Diego in less than six months from the Bay Area. If I was there I would make the drive and take a look if anybody needed.

16. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Wow, $99,000 on eBay and $55,000 on Craigslist only two days later. I suggest you hold out until he's willing to pay you to take it. Should be around next Wednesday at the current rate of depreciation.

17. witz

witz Rookie

Nov 13, 2015
    Los Angeles Calif.
    What is the difference if the hood badge is Dino or Ferrari?
    Just wondering, mine is a 75' with Dino badge.

18. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I need a 1975 US 308GT4 tail light. I either need 2 "new old stock", which is not really worth it me, or one good used one. I do not need the bezel, but would buy one if included. To the best of my observation the left and right are interchangeable.

US or worldwide is fine to purchase, but I need US lenses.

Please PM, paint shop is almost done.

19. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    Someone should try to go and see it because I don't think it actually exists. Like I said the additions pictures of the car he sent me were of a red euro car so I highly doubt it's a real car. If it is I bet you it's not in near as good of condition as he tries to say it is.

20. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    My understanding is that in 1975 all of the cars were built with Dino badges on the front and back. The dealers were asked to change them to Ferrari on the front and back or actually they were supposed to add them in addition but most replaced them. Starting in 1976 they started putting Ferrari badges on them from the factory. There is more detail to it if you do a search for the bulletins sent out by Ferrari to dealers in 1975 about the 308 GT4.

21. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    You cant really "replace" the front because the Dino emblem is inset into a recess, and a Ferrari emblem does not fit the recess in the bonnet. The rear is just holes.

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #2499 Dom, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Somewhere along the line, the recess for the dino badge on my car was filled in (probably when the car was repainted to "resale" red", and a Ferrari badge placed over it. It's hardly noticeable at all on my car, unless you look really close.

In the pics below, you can see the badge, and the indentation below the hood.

23. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    The e-brake handle assembly is missing the plastic grip that just slides onto the lever.
    It's a Fiat part same as what was on my 1976 124 Spider.