VTChris's former 348TB for sale | FerrariChat

VTChris's former 348TB for sale

Discussion in '348/355' started by brent Lachelt, Jul 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Chris isn't on her much anymore and sold his 348 a while back, but it looks like his old 1992 348tb is up for sale. As I recall it was a very clean car. Too bad a framed picture fell on the right front fender. Might be a challenging location to get 100% out. Still a nice car for someone though.

Ferrari 348 348 TB Coupe | eBay

2. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    #2 S-T48, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I remember seeing this car nearly 10 years ago in person, it really is as clean as everyone said it was when Chris owned it.

He took care of that car like it was a baby! Good seeing it again.

4. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    should be worth more being such a unique 348 (advertised as having a 6 cyl engine!).

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe he is still a sponsor here

6. KingSteve

KingSteve Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Maranello
    #6 KingSteve, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    excuse my lack of knowledge here, I've never been a fan of the 348! but what is with the seat belts? the drivers side has a lap belt??? and the passenger side has also a 3 point belt??? retro fit???
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    It's a two belt system for both driver and passenger. Shoulder belts retract into an enclosure between the seats, up on the shelf behind the seats.

8. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Why ask questions about a model you're not a fan of on a site dedicated to thouse of us who are?

9. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Love the yellow (French?) driving lights. Nice touch.

10. Jaybird

Jaybird Karting

Jul 7, 2011
    Southeast Iowa
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Because we are a generous group, patient with those ignorant of our cars. Never lose and opportunity to gain a friend and supporter.

More on the seat belts, it is the mad mouse set up that will one day be famous because only a few years worth of Ferraris had these crazy devices. Both lap belts and should harness are on the inside and fasten outboard. For the should harness, you have the option of latching it into the mouse car that travels on a rail along the door frame, or at another latch point on the seat.

12. KingSteve

KingSteve Karting

Jan 16, 2015
    Maranello
    Because this site is shared with the 355 owners! ;)

I'm not a fan, in the sense that I wouldn't choose to buy one, but that doesn't mean Im not interested in the lineage, especially as a relatively new F355 owner. the 355 is essentially just an evolution of the 348 after all. Im interested in all cars, and especially some of the more quirky engineering solutions! Ive just never seen that kind of belt set up before (especially as i first thought i was seeing a lap belt!) looked a bit strange, id never looked closely at a 348 seat belt before, just presumed they were a standard 3 point belt set up as all i remember seeing (in England) was the shoulder belt from the rear shelf. Correct me if I'm wrong but was this only a US thing? or not in every 348 model year?

This afternoon I goggled it, and learnt something new: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/420412-348-three-point-seat-belt-conversion.html

So thats why i asked the question, and will continue to inquire about things i don't know about.

Every days a school day!

Thanks to the helpful owners in the community for the explanation.

13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Check out an '89 348 if you want to see a standard three point lap/shoulder belt system. :)

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Or a non-US car.

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In the very early days of "passive restraint" systems in the USA, manufacturers were permitted to use either air bags, or mad-mouse seatbelts, like the 348 has. Ferrari chose the belt option perhaps based on cost, perhaps based on safety, or perhaps based on their assessment of airbag technology at the time of production. I really don't know.

Ferrari wasn't alone in that decision -- Volkswagon (and many other European manufacturers) in the same time period generally chose mad-mouse seatbelts instead of airbags for the vehicles they exported to the USA. By the mid 1990's however, DOT/NHTSA grace periods for the manufacturers expired and they were all mandated to use airbags, which is when Ferrari reverted to traditional 3-point belts.

I miss VTC Chris. :( He was a great member of this community, and I'm still happy to see his company postings on FB. Nearly all of the watches in my household came from Chris!

16. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks Daniel :)

17. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    LOL. No. The track has bitten me. Having a blast at Willow Springs :)

18. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Ya, unfortunately I am not on here much. 2 kids with loads of energy, 2 businesses, etc..
    it's hard to find time.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL - very funny choice of words. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Watch out, Andrew.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hahaha. I had to think about for a minute but I see what you did there.

Chris should have followed that sentence with "no pun intended"