2 April Gainey Ranch Cars and Coffee incident Witnesses needed | FerrariChat

2 April Gainey Ranch Cars and Coffee incident Witnesses needed

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by KenBP, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KenBP

KenBP Rookie

Apr 15, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ken B
    Greetings,

I am seeking out impartial witnesses to the events that happened on 2 April 2016 at the Gainey Ranch Cars and Coffee. If you would be willing to fill out statements as to what you saw please contact me via PM on this forum. I will put you in touch with the lawyers.

Thank you

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Now my curiosity is peaked. Can someone enlighten me as to what could possible happen at a C&C that would result in legal action?

I saw/read that a guy in a Chevelle SS got pulled over by a bunch of cops, but that can't be it, can it?

C'mon, somebody spill the beans.

D

3. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1

4. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Almost every month, there's an accident.

Event is held at a large BMW dealership, that has a large (fast) road on the south side of the event, and a wide (fast) freeway access road on the west side.

Every single time, we get people driving around the dealership, trying to show off their lack of skills. To make matters worse - we get several hundred people standing on the grass and sidewalks - egging the drivers on.

Every friggin month - it's usually a mustang, sometimes a vette. In feb, a guy lost control on accelerating, and the car went up into the grass where the crowd was. Fortunately - they scattered and no-one was hit. For fun, google - "Dallas C&C crash".

I still go, in spite of the issues, there are still a lot of car guys and gals in attendance - that want to talk cars (as opposed to showing off).

I'm amazed that the BMW dealership hasn't canned the event. That's a lot of liability.

Sid

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    That is not the C&C being referred, is it? OP is in AZ, you refer to a Dallas C&C...?

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid

I was responding to the question: "Can someone enlighten me as to what could possible happen at a C&C that would result in legal action?"

There is a lot of activity at the Dallas C&C that could/would/probably results in legal action.

Sid

7. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    White Porsche Parking problem/Scottsdale Police?

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Who knew I'd miss something troubling/exciting...someone enlighten us please...

9. GFUracing

GFUracing Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2005
    Ahwatukee Foothills
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I was at the month mentioned but didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I'll take a look through some pics I took and see if anything stands out in the backgrounds. I'm guessing nothing happened to a regular since this was OP's first post. Any updates on what happened or do we slide this under the rug as "random mustang hits people at show"

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting that no one really responded to the OP.

When I attended the C&C in suburban Philly (for over 8 years) we didn't have a single incident, despite it growing from 10 cars to the point where we filled the parking lot. (I didn't bother to count them at that point.)

After I moved away, it appears the event got too big for the venue, and fractured into two C&C's. But we never had one of those seminal events. We also had a regular police presence, and a Starbucks that was THRILLED to be the main attraction.

D

11. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was not present but know of the incident being referred to. As there are potential criminal charges involved and I did not see it myself, I have not commented.

12. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Not an eyewitness to the incident either, but quite entertaining to see a Scottsdale cop drive the perp's Porsche back to HQ.

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The cop must have been a transplant from CA. It's way too common to see leos and tow yeards "driving customers cars enthusiastically."

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I saw the whole thing. The perp assaulted a 60 year old volunteer because he could not park where he wanted. He hit him with his car as well as shoved him physically.

When you come to a nice Saturday morning free car show and act like a jerk with a bad attitude, you get to have the cops drive your car to the inbound, and you get a ride in the back of a squad car. Then you hire a lawyer in hopes of skating.

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

OP has not been back since his initial post. I guess it just wasn't that important to him after all.

D

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Thank you for shedding some light on the situation!

17. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    What an ass .....

18. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    I saw the whole thing, we should be enjoying the cars/coffee/each other/hobby etc, looks bad on all of us & organizer

19. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Agree completely. I stopped going to that event a while back when it started to become more elitist than I was comfortable with. It seemed you had to "know" someone, or be driving the "right" car to park in certain areas of a public parking lot, regardless of what time you got there. No excuse whatsoever for the behavior of the Porsche driver, but neither for that of the parking nazis associated with organizer, IMHO.

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I was there, but did not see the incident. But, in defense of the organizers, that C&C event started long ago as an exotic cars show ... generally with Italian cars in mind. Over time, it became more and more popular drawing many people. What was happening was the event was becoming hijacked by the American muscle car owners, much to the chagrin of the original organizers. Those of us in attendance started seeing many incidents of tire burn outs, engine revving on cars with no mufflers and general infantile behavior. It is my understanding that the property owners were hinting at shutting down the event.

I understand how some people may feel offended that they are directed to sub-prime parking spots when they show up in a car not deemed worthy by the volunteer parking attendants, but I want to give credit to the organizers for returning a better sense of order and maintaining the theme of exotics. Without their involvement, this event ... if held at all now. ... would become a loud and raucous Camaro, Mustang and Corvette hang out.

Now, on any given event, you can see a collection of exotic sports cars, rare classics from pre-war through the 60's and 70's, the occasional rare racing cars ... and, yes, a nice showing of American muscle cars as well.

I want to extend a thank you to the organizers for putting this together. Well done, lads.

21. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I agree with what you wrote. It is a very nice car show and it would be a shame if it were shut down.

I never understood why people got so offended when they weren't allowed to park where ever they wanted to. Take a look at the Pavilions car show, they have the isles specifically segmented. Do they have as many issues with people not following the signs there? I really don't know since that show is geared more to the classics and domestics and I don't go very often.

I'm not sure how it has turned in to a machismo event, but it is a shame that people cannot leave their egos and DYKWIA attitudes at home when they go. It's too early on a Saturday morning for that kind of drama.

Perhaps the coordinators should make the event smaller? Maybe go back to the roots and keep it focused on exotics?

22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Perhaps a sign or rope or cones in the spot where the featured marque goes each month would help? (Vs someone just telling people?)

23. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for your support. Although the group that puts this on has existed for a long time and organizes a few other events, it's never been an official, legal entity. We are in the process of fixing this. I'll start a separate thread to begin the discussion on what we're doing and why.

24. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Looking forward to learning more. I know a few of you who help do this. Thanks to all of you ... those that I know and those of who who I do not. I really enjoy these events that you guys put on. Not attended all of them, hope to do more in the future.

Steve