FF battery/alternator issues. | FerrariChat

FF battery/alternator issues.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Future328, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi all, '14 FF here, about 15K on her. Car has been trouble free from day one minus a persistent charging issue. I am on my second battery as of last month. I use the car pretty much every few days, and I do a lot of city driving. If it will be more then a week I also use a trickle charger. I don't think the issue was two "faulty" batteries as FNA claims, I think the alternator in these cars just isn't strong enough considering all the electronics and such. I am sick of dealing with this, and need to do something about it.

Does anybody know the amps of the FF alternator?

I am thinking of having this one rebuilt to put out some extra amps (I know someone who can do this). Or buying one that puts out more power as that would help low rpm situations the most I think. Which I think is my issue. Not sure where I would even start to look to find a more powerful alternator for this car though?

Any ideas folks?

2. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Are you using the factory FIAMM battery? I have had problems with this battery in a Maserati Granturismo which were sorted by changing brand. I also have one in my FF but will be changing it as soon as I get any electrical gremlins. None thus far over 14,000 miles.

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I have had issues with the OEM battery in 2 cars, and they are both driven and on tender when in the garage.

Does the car show adequate charging voltage when running? (>13.7V)? Having the alternator tested is easy, but candidly if your alternator was bad, you'd be having more frequent issues. Would also assume the dealer (due to warranty requirements) actually tested the batteries and they showed a bad cell?

I'd get a premium aftermarket battery, but easy enough to check the alternator output first.

4. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Same kind of problems that I am having?

I would assume, as the dealer did the battery swaps? They told me that "all of my city driving hurts the cars charging rates", which I get to a point, low rpm driving isn't going to charge like medium and high rpm. But when not in the city I flog the car and rev it to the moon all the time. A car like this should have no issues maintaining a full charge while driving slowly in the city...and like I said, when it sits for a week or more, it's always on the trickle charger.

I know while driving you are pretty much on the alternator, unless that's not strong enough, then it could pull power from the battery. So maybe I am misunderstanding this, and maybe these batteries like you mentioned aren't good, and could be the cause...

What battery are you using that solved your issues?

Thank you -

5. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Voltage is usually okay, sometimes it drops a little lower. I have gotten a low voltage warning that said some items like the 4WD and ELSD weren't functioning due to that. After these messages is when it went to the dealer and got a battery swap. Both times they never said they tested the alternator (not saying they didn't), just that the "battery was bad" and they replaced it. I don't necessary think the alternator is bad, just that it may not be strong enough for these cars needs 24/7. Someone who I ran into with an FF in Miami said his had the exact same problem too. He needed a new battery at only 5000 miles.

What battery do you use that will fit in the FF? I guess I will try that first, then look into a higher capacity alternator, which I'm sure will be a nightmare.

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #6 otakki, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  7. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    After 5 Ferraris I just believe a battery is a standard maintainance item. Small deviances in voltage seem to wreak havoc on the electronics and sensors.

8. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I am going to wager it's a(another) bad battery. We had the dealer put an Interstate in the current FF.

Generally speaking, idling around town won't put a full charge cycle on the battery, but you say you do run it long/hard and use the tender, so a bad battery is suspect #1 - and yes, it's crazy, but the OEM batteries seem to be crap. Low voltage warnings especially after start were a clue

One "battery tender tip" if you have the Mag-Safe connector, we find that while it snaps right on, sometimes it doesn't fully seat....so appears plugged in but really isn't. Make sure the indicator lights on the tender show it's functioning.

9. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tender is checked for function each time, so that is good.

Another battery you think huh. Are the batteries they use really this terrible? I assumed since the issues were while driving that it had to be the alternator not functioning properly? Would a weak battery really rear its ugly head under those circumstances? It always seems to strongly start...

If so, I'll buy an Interstate on my own dime for sure...

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Interesting. So you think it is just a "bad" battery issue, not the alternator in his car?

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I don't know.

What i know is alternator output is easy to test, as are batteries.

While I'm sure there is a failure rate for alternators, his issues have been sporadic - if the alternator was bad, it would be a persistent issue (unless the alternator has a sporadic problem I guess).

What I'd suspect - just from experience and that of others - is the battery is either bad (i.e. defective) or, via his use patterns (driven how often, how long to charge) and/or tender usage, it could be just low. From what the OP stated, sounds like he's driving and plugging it in, so signs point towards the battery.

Another potential issue might be a fault that is increasing parasitic draw, but again, hard to tell from the internet

12. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    My brand new Aperta had a bad battery. Quite common I was told, very possibly there was a bad batch.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    What brand batteries does Ferrari use these days?

14. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I forget what it was, I'm sure someone can chime in...

15. Future328

Future328 Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    SoBe
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So an update.

Everything checks out electrical system wise, alternator is good, battery tender is good, seems like it is yet another "bad" battery. After your comments about others having issues with the OEM batteries, I am hoping this is it.

I am going with an Interstate this time that others have had good success with. It is on order...

Thanks -