Stratos induction system on 246GT | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Stratos induction system on 246GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #101 4CamGT, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    I really appreciate your help and advice. We won't touch or modify anything on my motor. Our plan is to just install the Stratos Stradale road induction system. Outside of the different induction systems are there any other differences in spec between the Stratos Stradale and a standard Dino 246GT?

Freeman

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    No other differences I can think of. Stratos engine is a late series Dino engine/gearbox and even had the retard points and switch on the cam cover. Most I think you will see is no fuel starvation on hard cornering. Race engines used 44 and 48 IDF carbs. 48's most of the time.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thank you.

Freeman

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    For what it's worth, I would let sleeping dogs lie.

The Dino is one thing and the Stratos is a completely different beast. All they have in common, is a motor and a transmission.

Stratos was made for racing and the street versions became unsaleable due to their
    difficult handling. From the original price, even a 50% discount was not enough to promote their sale. A commercial disaster...

The only reason for Stratos being was winning rallyes. And that, it did.

The carburation was different, but that was because a Dino would never, and has never been a rallye car.

I have been driven (scared to death, is more like it) on the road by a professional racecar driver in a Dino, and not once did it falter or cough. Possibly, because we were mostly sideways all the time... it was mostly a blur.

If it is the cool factor, I consider a Stratos induction, would definitely be it. Do it!
    Do you really need it, IMHO, no.

By the way, we all call it Stratos, but at the risk of being an 'anorak',
    the real name is Strato's

Regards, Alberto

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #105 4CamGT, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    My passion to learn and experience leads me to want to explore this. I have the good fortune to have a complete NOS Stratos Stradale triple Weber 40IDF set on a NOS intake manifold sitting on my workbench. I've done some initial measurements and I believe it will all fit below the original Dino engine lid. I'm mocking up some ideas for a thin airbox with a vision to look OEM. The original Stratos airbox/filter was very thin and did not use air horns on the carbs. I will look at all the options. It's a non-evasive reversible exercise that may lead to a better driving, better performing Dino that could be flung into corners without the fear of fuel starvation. Looking back at Corbani's posts, even he could not tune all of the fuel starvation out of his DCNF's. I'm in no way trying to create a Stratos. I love both for what they are. The Stratos benefited from the Dino motor/gearbox and I think the Dino can benefit from from the further development/drivability that came from the Stratos setup. From what we have learned, the motor spec of the Stratos Stradale and the Dino 246GT are identical except the carb/intake system. My goal is not to race my Dino. I just want a Dino that I can drive anywhere, through the canyons, up the coast etc with reliability, safety and fun. I have my Dino at a good baseline with the DCNF's and original style points ignition system to compare.

Also...it's a lot of fun doing this!

Freeman

Michael Call and -K1- like this.
  6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Kudos Freeman!

Regards, Alberto

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  8. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    #108 racerboy9, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 4-valve engine goes in my Stratos with comp gearbox. I had a Dino motor hotted up to 252hp with a comp gearbox for my silver GT which sadly is still under construction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Michael Call likes this.
  9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Stunning Stratos! One of my favorite colors and configuration. I'd love to hear/see more about the spec/plans for your Dino. How much of a difference in overall height between the IDF's mounted on the 2V head/manifold vs mounted on the 4V head/manifold ?

Freeman

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'll try and get a measurement but the 4-valve is a whole different critter from the block on up. Intake manifolds are designed only for the 4-valve engine.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #111 4CamGT, Nov 29, 2015
    I'd like to ask the experienced here on the "Stratos Induction System" installed on a 246GT Dino. I have an new old stock (NOS) system that I'm preparing for my Dino. My main question is about the Stratos intake manifold. On the Stratos it is hooked up to the cooling system. First, is there any advantage? Second, those that have been using the Stratos system, have you hooked it up to the cooling system or just blocked off the inlet/outlet on the intake manifold? Third, what are your driving impressions? Any detailed photos would be greatly appreciated. I will at some point, when done, share the special airbox/filter system that fits under the stock deck lid (we scanned and digitized everything) and my driving impressions of the stock Dino DCNF induction system vs the Stratos IDF induction system. So far, it is a totally non-evasive bolt on/bolt off assembly without modifying anything.

Freeman

P.S. Drove my Dino yesterday to our local C&C with the stock system. Drove fabulous! With the IDF's I am hoping for improvements in transitions, response etc. We have the DCNF's tuned about as good as we can get.

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #112 4CamGT, Nov 29, 2015

The other side of the "Stratos Induction System".

Freeman

13. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    AFAIK nobody connects the intake manifold to the cooling system on the Stratos, all the Stratos cars I have seen have it disconnected.
    This will be difficult to add in a Dino as there is insufficient space bellow the engine cover.
    It does address the issue with the use of DCNF which are made to be mounted longitudinally and not transversely. Good luck and report back.

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Stratos,

Thank you for the feedback on not connecting to the cooling system. I will report back :)

Freeman

15. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My manifold is still hooked up on my stradale. Is there a disadvantage to having it plumbed in as original. Why did they run coolant through it in the first place?

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I was curious about that as well. BTW, is your Dino up and running yet?

Freeman

17. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Too busy to work on the silver Dino right now. I've read about water cooled intake manifold giving a stabilized temperature for carb tuning, better fuel atomization, preventing carburetor icing under certain conditions and quicker warm-ups. Don't know if any of these are correct but I assume Lancia didn't go to the trouble of running coolant through the manifold without a good reason.

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #118 4CamGT, Nov 30, 2015
  19. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    In street-driven cars the manifold is hooked to the cooling system to give faster warmup to the carbs in cold weather.

I would think in a racer it might be mainly to provide some cooling to the manifold, which is bolted to the head, which can get really hot. So, yes, stabilized induction system temperature.

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Would it be possible for you to take some detailed photos of your Stratos induction system along with how you've got the cooling hose(s) hooked up on the inlet side/passenger side? I've have searched the internet and can't find any photos detailing the setup on that side. The outlet/driver's side is evident where the hose gets hooked up.

Freeman

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #121 4CamGT, Aug 25, 2016
    Well it's been some time since I've given an update on installing the NOS Weber 40IDF Stratos induction system on my Dino. After much planning we finally did it! The install is completely non-evasive and reversible. Basically the Dino assembly came out with the four bolts holding it on the block to installing the Stratos assembly with the same four bolts. We hooked everything up with the same lines and linkage. Took about an hour total. It was truly simple. It fired up immediately and went to idle. My friend Derek did all the work. He did a bit of final tuning and balancing and I went out for a test drive. Amazing! Much better throttle response, throatier and more torque! No hesitation on cornering or transitions. Yes, it all fits below the stock deck! I designed a special airbox with velocity stacks of my own design that fits below the stock deck lid. The next step will be to begin testing it. I will share more As I progress.

Freeman

-K1- likes this.
  22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Looks awesome. I look forward to seeing and hearing it in the flesh!

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #123 4CamGT, Aug 25, 2016
    Rob,

Thanks! It's pretty exciting to see the motor release more of it's God given potential! I drove around a bit more including some freeway driving. It feels sooo much more responsive with better power. Great throttle response!

Freeman

24. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Isn't it funny that in period the stratos was quoted as having lower horsepower than the dino despite having an identical engine with superior induction sustem! It must have been one of Enzo's condition to agree to provide the engines to Lancia. He was a proud man!

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #125 4CamGT, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Must be different horses :)

Freeman