Steering wheel recover | FerrariChat

Steering wheel recover

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crowndog, Feb 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Has anyone had their MOMO steering wheel recovered? I am in the process now and was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience good or bad. I am also having the instrument binnacle recovered so the stitching will match.

prober34 likes this.
  2. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    It appears that the glue has let go and/or the leather shrunk on my 77 wheel.

I would rather spend a bit more recovering the original than just buying an aftermarket wheel. But at some point, it makes sense to just go new//

Any experience out there???

dazed and confused,
    chris

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im having 2 MOMO wheel spokes anodized right now. Then I have to re-isntall the steel rim followed by a re-foam and re-cover. Im aiming for 100% correct.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #5 Crowndog, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, I have been following that thread. The difficulty has been the spoke to rim pieces. The seam is very difficult to blend without getting a ridge both on the front and back. The person doing mine now is attempting a redo of these junctions. I have supplied close up photos of a new MOMO for him to compare and try to match. I really like the white stitching of the binnacle and wheel. Over time the stitching got blackened most likely from previous attempts at black leather treatment to the stitches as well as the leather. Now hopefully the nice bright white thread will show on the wheel and binnacle again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Do you have a NARDI?

7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  8. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    That cover looks great. Does this guy do seats?

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hey John, boy you were out fast Saturday. Sorry we didn't get a chance to chat.
    As far as I know this is his first item beyond steering wheels but I will certainly ask.

10. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    I had to get to Motorama before the crowds came in. We had to park at HACC and the lot was only 1/4 full but when we left late afternoon the cars were parked along the road leading to HACC and the lot was full. I was mainly just stopping off to get breakfast and since I was at the end of the table I didn't get in much of the conversation. They had some great gokart races and met a patient of mine that builds gokart motors so got to be in the pit area and see the prep work for their kart. See you soon.

11. Constance

Constance Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Kembs - France
    Full Name:
    Constance
  12. Constance

Constance Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Kembs - France
    Full Name:
    Constance
  13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Great thread, pardon the pun. I have no sewing skill but yours looks great! Thanks for the pictures. I had no idea that the leather was glued on and not really stitched on. I hope that mine comes out as nice.

14. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Replacement screws are available direct from Momo USA.

Also the cracking shown above looks like it may just be the dye - it was in my case. Sanding with wet and dry (400 up to 1500) then redying with leatherique steering wheel kit works to fix cracking like that without having to recover.

David

15. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
  16. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #16 Crowndog, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    AaronMeisner likes this.
  17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I wish MOMO would do this it is near impossible to get it as nice as the OEM finish.. You guys are doing a great job just sure they had a technique to do this properly......

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have just accepted that it will not be as it was from Momo. Close enough will be fine for me. The original looked like the PO chewed on it. This will be a big improvement.

19. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    The wheel looks very good. You will have a nice view from the drivers seat. Next for you is Nicks Forza 3.5 liter or larger engine in the next year or 2. Just think a 308 with the power of a 360. Don't forget to give me the name of your electric company. I need to buy some stock in it soon. LOL. I may be in Waynesboro Sunday about 11:30 or noon.

20. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This sunday I am lucky enough to be in CEU program from 8:00 to 5:00. But it is cheap for 6 hrs of credit. First time I found CEU program so close, HCC of all places.

21. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    I know all about trying to find CEU close to home. I think F'Chat should count towards CEU since we ARE continuing our education. We just need to have Rob apply it to our licensing agency.

22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +100

23. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well picked up the car today with the new WUR and it has really never run any better. When I arrived home a nice big box was waiting with the recovered steering wheel and binnacle. Installation was pretty straight forward. The nuts that hold the binnacle on in the rear require 1/4 turns at a time while draped half in the car half out. Muscles cramped but job done. It looks pretty nice I will post pictures when I can take them under natural light. I like the leather over the vinyl as it has less reflection in the windshield. I suppose I will have to recover the dash now with leather. Maybe next year.

24. Markos

Markos Rookie

Apr 20, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Digging this one up from the dead!

Hi Crowndog,

I recently purchased a very rare wheel based on a 380mm Momo prototipo. It was poorly recovered. Particularly the area where the wheel meets the spokes. Your result was the best that I've seen online. Would you mind sharing the name of the shop that recovered your wheel? Either I missed it or you didn't mention.

25. Markos

Markos Rookie

Apr 20, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    Crowndog,

I am happy to see that you are still active on the forum, as recently as today. If your we feel obliged to divulge the name of your upholstery guy please respond to this thread or my PM. Thanks!

Markos