How can I get a 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How can I get a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    :eek::eek:

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I have only been watching the Ferrari market for 5 years and have only been a 308 owner for 4, so take my words with a grain of salt.

My obsevation is that Ferrari models seem to go through a stigmatized peroid when they are somehow consider inferior to the other Ferrari models. No one could say much good about 308s five years ago. 355s are currently disparaged for their exhaust manifolds; 348s are completely off the radar screen. They are all wonderful cars.

It certainly looks like it is currently a good time to shop for a 308. When I was looking, I was told to be prepared to have to look for 2 years to find a nice one. Today, there is a huge number for sale. It would be easy to buy one. The opportunity that comes with the 308 price run up is this temporary period where people who bought a relatively cheap car now have an asset of sufficient monitary value that they envision other uses for the money. They've all listed their cars at the same time.

There really aren't that many 308s out there. Those hormone-fueled teens who were watching Magnum p.i. are now just entering their age of maximum purchasing power.

3. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have 328 in the classifieds on here. I also have a 81 308 red 30k mi I'm going to advertise on here when I sell my 328. see pics at Mercedeshowroom -

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I looked at many 308's back in the early 90's. I new I wanted a Euro model QV but couldn't find one to my liking. Finally, I put an add in the 'want adds' in my local paper (Dallas). No internet or EBay back then. A local Dr. called me and said he had what I was looking for. It was in near perfect condition with 10k miles. He sold it to me cheap. Sometimes you get lucky, if you don't get in a hurry.

Good luck,

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    IMO you are pretty much spot on. The 348 is currently in the "funk" that the 308 held for many years. When I bought my 308 15 years ago and even up to 8-10 years ago prices were depressed because it was "just a 308" now they have blossomed out of the weeds and 348 will follow one day.

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim

^^ This

7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#32 George Vosburgh, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#33 George Vosburgh, Sep 18, 2016
  9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So why is it so hard to buy a 308 today? I bought a 308 when the only resource was a once a month issue of Hemmings.

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    It's easy...oh wait...one problem...MONEY! :)

11. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think you will find the good ones aren't cheap & the cheap ones aren't good.

Its's not what you pay for a the car it's what you need to spend to make it a good one!

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It isn't but we here can be guilty of making the process difficult for many.

I, personally, wouldn't get caught up much in things that do not really matter but my definition of a "good" car is apparently far and away different than many around here.

To me a good 308 is one that is mechanically sound with a good history. How many times does someone post a link to one they are looking at and we spend six pages listing every little teeny tiny issue all the way down to a magnetic fender shield when, in fact, it is a great find.

Seriously, I bought my QV in 1997 - and you guys may need to pull up a chair and sit down before reading this: The tool kit didn't have all the tools!!! OMG How have I ever been able to enjoy this thing for the past 19 years???

Crazy isn't it?

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also lower mileage doesn't mean better. Let me share my learned experience with you. When I was shopping for a 308 ten years ago, I was choosing between three 308:
    81 with 20K miles
    85 with 40K miles and an
    84 with 67K miles.
    Guess which one I bought? For those of you knew y car, yes I bought the 84 with 67k miles. I test drove all three and by far the one with the high mileage ran the best, as in like new plus, two months prior to me buying the car, the previous owner just had major done by F of San Francisco. I now have 84k miles and still running like new.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 84 had 57,000 showing. I picked it over several with less as well.

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nice! I guess if it makes it over 50K miles, it will keep on going as if it's less than that, you don't know if it's going to make it to 50K. :)

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I totally agree, Tommy. My new '78 shows 48k and is in way better condition than my old '80i which was ~25k. I think low mileage matters for cars up to maybe 10 years old. After that, they need to show use and maintenance. Most will disagree with me, to which I'd say "ok, good luck with your garage queen" :D

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yeah, now more than ever, they need to show some "use" miles on the clock.

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There do seem to be quite a few for sale currently and there are a couple locally that fit into my budget. One is a 1981, only one picture on CraigsList but very close to me. 42k miles, no disclosed issues, $62k. Another is a 1983 in Monterey which is a couple hours away. 70k miles, needs muffler, missing exhaust cover (which I guess is the "diaper") lots of pictures, normal wear, $50k.

As I said in the beginning I'm a professional mechanic and have my own shop so I can do pretty much anything to this car that needs to be done though I wouldn't be interested in trashed upholstery or smashed up bodywork. My interest in the 308 is not for prestige or status or investment or to take to shows but purely the gearhead in me. This will be something I will enjoy wrenching on and driving often. In fact, from the ads I'm seeing, whatever car I end up with is probably going to be getting a lot more road time than it has in its most recent years under my ownership.

What I need to do now is stem my excitement and take my time. Avoid falling in love with the first one I actually look at. There seem to an awful lot of little details to be considered even concerning the various model years. I've been reading every guide and watching every YouTube video I can find, it can be a bit overwhelming.

19. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Do I understand correctly, that it doesn't matter if it is a carburettor, a 2 Valve injected or a QV for you ?
    There are many differences between those cars, that's the reason, why I ask.

20. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Being a pro really changes the game for you. These cars are just fine to work on. Sometimes labor time is stunnimg (such as digging through mechanical systems to get to the timing belts) but most of it is just plain wrench jockey work.

As a pro, you want to find as intact of a car as you can; the old mechanic's saw applies about how "if the body is good, all the rest can be fixed". For 308s, interior condition, body and paint and, especially, missing parts can be very expensive repairs, although you can also throw $10k of parts at a blown engine.

For me, a 'bird in the hand" is valuable. I loathed the idea of chasing cars across the nation. When I found a local car I liked, I bought it.

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No it doesn't really because in the end it will boil down to just getting the best I can find that fits my budget. I like the carbureted cars but, at least here in California, it will entail the clunky emissions equipment of the era. This can be dealt with however, I can basically make just about any of them work for me.

Yes, a local car is the most ideal as I must be able to personally see and inspect it and travelling across the country creates an extra burden but that too can be accomplished for the right car.

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    KCab - do check around to find what you like.

The differences between the models have been largely outlined here and are all over the board. Basically, its going to come down to a few factors:

S or B?

Carb, "i", or QV?

Condition?

Cost?

I might suggest that you check them out - maybe in that order that I outlined.

When I was in the market back in 2009 I figured that I would end up with an "i" car because they were cheapest and I didn't have a big budget to do more. I had a late carbed car offered to me, but it didn't have records, the last major service was 1984, and the guy wanted $42k for it. I kept my eye open and got my QV for significantly less than that. My QV had high mileage then (63k) and with a few minor bumps has run like a champ. Love driving it....

Good luck!!!

PDG

23. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I am going to suggest an 83 euro QV GTSi for aesthetics and top off fun. It has the slim, recessed bumpers, later interior and lighter clutch pedal, prettier paint scheme, and the 32 valves. Should pass emissions easily.

All the 2 valve US cars with cats (78-82) got emission cams, lesser performance. Nothing too drastic. But it does make them the bottom of the food chain. They do deliver the same fun as the non cat 2 valve cars and later 4 valve cars.

A 77 could be a nice find, but will be a GTB....so hardtop. That hardtop is preferred in some circles.

Expect stiffer, much more heavy clutch pedal on the carb cars. The injected and QV cars have a slightly different setup with a helper spring that makes the pedal what I would call normal.

When you get to 84 and 85 you get all the benefits of a production run and knowledge of what needs fixing. They have some rust proofing that the earlier cars lacked. But they can all rust my fellow alfisti. You do get to a more modern emissions system with these cars. Probably the easiest to live with in CA.

Happy hunting. I picked my 82 really because of the color. Go figure. I did manage to find the euro computers to swap as they have more advance. No regrets on picking that year as I wasn't looking at it from investment, but rather enjoyment.

24. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #49 kcabpilot, Oct 12, 2016
    Still here lurking and doing my homework. I talked to Eric and viewed pictures of his '78 GTS, it's what I'd call a classic "barn find" a true project car that would take a considerable amount of TLC. Not that I'm averse to such a thing, I can certainly accomplish it and I could even enjoy doing it but considering what he's asking I can't get the numbers to work. I may still take an actual look at the car and possibly make him an offer but honestly it needs pretty much everything - paint, upholstery, all rubber, at least one panel and considering it looks to have been abandoned and completely neglected for an unknown period of time in an unknown location it could need floors or even worse.

Then there's the engine and transmission along with all the ancillaries. Even assuming and factoring in major overhaul there could be some "gotchas" like internal corrosion. I don't know of any way to determine that outside of taking it apart and looking, something that's way beyond a pre-buy inspection.

So it would be a crap shoot even at a decent buy-in price. Of course anything can be fixed and I'm the kind of guy who can do it and I think any 308 deserves to be restored but the numbers don't add up. If I end up with 60 to 80k into it (considering all of my labor as gratis) what kind of 308 can I get right now for that money and drive home off the lot?

Need to mull it over, all comments welcome. Here are a few mug shots:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I found no difference whatsoever between my injected car and my carbed car. I actually enjoy the heavy clutch. It part of the car's character and not a problem unless you have medical issues.