Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Hollywood-GP, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Talking about drivel. I think you should better check the facts first before constantly posting nonsense about McLaren.

The McLaren Group is certainly not ailing. It's a highly successful engineering company with several branches.
    According to you McLaren is losing money; well, only a few months ago, they were recruiting staff to increase their car production and catch up with the orders. Their yearly production shouldn't be far from 5000 by now. Quite impressive bearing in mind it really started in 2011.

Why I know that? I am living not far from Woking where McLaren sits, and I know a few people who work there. I also visited the plant a couple of years ago. I visited several car productions in my life, by never anything as impressive as McLaren.

I give credit when it is due; I am a Porsche owner myself.
    McLaren could be the jewel in Apple's crown, who knows ...

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    brings a whole new meaning to iMac

3. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    If Apple buys McLaren you will only be allowed to refuel the cars at apple petrol stations

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 noone1, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    :D I'm dyin' right now...

My God, you are hilarious. Yes, their technology and talent is so primitive compared to what Apple already has. Can you direct me to all the automotive Apple products you're so familiar with? Please, just post a link to anything other than Car Play. Please, show us all a single product or proof of what you claim.

Does Fchat have a Hall of Fame for Ginge82's posts? This guy is a riot.

Here's some food for thought, Ginge82. After you read it, can you respond and give us examples of why a supplier to the highest forms of automotive racing have such primitive and inferior talent and technology next to Apple when it comes to the automotive industry?

In reality though, I know you won't answer any questions asked. You just get embarrassed and realize you have no answer, so you just ignore the questions. There's no need for that though, ginge -- no one here thinks you know anything about anything -- so no big deal if your answers reflect so poorly upon you. Classic Ginge82!

5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Your questions are typically stupid and therefore are rightfully ignored.

Apple has spent the last few years putting together a team of very experienced engineers and technicians that have worked at various levels of the automotive industry with an emphasis on two technologies that Mclaren haven't even ventured into yet. 1) Fully Electric vehicles 2) Autonomous vehicles

A tiny company that outsources the actual manufacturing of the parts that they then assemble in England, and a technology subsidiary that isn't even working on the future technology that Apple think is essential, has little to no value to them.

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Apple computers have always lacked gull-wing doors. This has made it impossible to sit comfortably in any Apple product.

McLaren, with its gull-wing technology, is the perfect fit. Apple will pay $1 trillion dollars for this remarkable technology, and launch a new ad campaign called "unhinged". It's just...magic.

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Show me. Show us. Please just share something with the forum. We would all benefit from such inside knowledge. You'd be enlightening all of us and we'd be so grateful.

If you can't do that, could you show us where McLaren has done no research on EV vehicles or has any experience in those systems?

Can you also show me the fabs Apple owns for producing all their SOCs and display panels and modems and such? How about the manufacturing facility where Ferrari produces their own Fetrag gearbox?

If you can't do any of that, could you at least revisit the other thread where you didn't want to explain your issue with the engine similarities of the FF/F12/Lusso/LF, or the Cali T/488?

Come on, ginge, you can do it! I believe in you!

8. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Number of fully electric vehicles Mclaren have produced = 0

Number of autonomous vehicles Mclaren have produced = 0

What a cracking company to acquire for a tech company that wants to build a fully electric autonomous vehicle. Oh and they also get a crap F1 team and a current model line up based around a single tub and engine...that is made by other companies.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't believe I said anything about it being a good fit for Apple. I merely said McLaren Group has much experience in cutting edge automotive systems, designs, and materials.

Come on man, I asked you for information on Apple, not McLaren. I also asked you to explain the similarities in Ferrari's engines, not McLaren's.

How come you keep dodging questions, ginge? Just try real hard. I know it's hard when people ask you questions about stuff you say, but I really do believe in you and the knowledge you have hidden away from all of us. Surely you have the answers somewhere inside of you. Surely you can show us some of Apple's amazing technology which you claim they have. Surely you can show us how McLaren doesn't have any useful technology that Apple could use.

Ginge, you are by far my favorite member on this forum :)

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    come on guys! you are falling for this FUD ? Apple buying McLaren makes no more sense than McLaren buying apple. Its.. apples and oranges.. Seriously

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Do you think the management at Apple is stupid?
    Apparently you do.

Why should they bother to contemplate investing in McLaren if that company is so deficient technically as you pretend.
    Do you think there is no brain at Apple to evaluate the potential of an acquisition before they make a deal?
    Why do you think they target McLaren if the Woking firm doesn't bring anything?

12. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    I'm sure you have a wealth of information on the fully electric and autonomous technology that Mclaren have developed just waiting to go...

Company that wants to build autonomous electric vehicles buys a car company that hasn't made a single one? Yep, makes total sense this. Only the usual fanboys are foaming at the mouth.

13. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    They aren't targeting them that's the point because they have zero value to Apple.

Its one paper reporting that they are that has the usual fanboys throwing themselves a party.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Please direct me to where I said it would make sense for Apple to acquire all of McLaren? Ah, that's right, you can't because I never said anything of the sort. I merely said Apple would be most interested in McLaren Applied Technologies.

Feel free to direct me to the imaginary posts though.

I on the other hand am asking you to directly show me what you claim. You can't. You know nothing about anything, as usual.

Classic ginge!

15. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi Friends,

There is an article today that Apple is trying to buy McLaren. I know Apple was interested in Tesla but Musk said "Over my dead body"

McLaren is growing very rapidly as I see more and more on the street. In Orange County where I live, Ferrari is like Lexus where you could see tons of them on weekends.

I started noticing more and more McLarens. Went to see it myself at the dealer, it was quite impressive. 488 with TT that brought up lots of negative feedbacks although the car itself has standout performance, people take alternatives and McLaren is one of them.

Below is the link to the article on LA Times.

I would love to hear our chat members thoughts on McLaren, McLaren and Apple together.

Apple is reportedly in talks to buy automaker McLaren - LA Times

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Then look at the long thread in the British section......

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #42 WJHMH, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Zero value? Don't make me laugh!
    McLaren would be of immense value to any investor, being Apple or any other company.

Not only McLaren is at the leading edge in race car technology, but it has enormous potential to become one of the leaders among sport cars manufacturers.

I am not surprise Apple is interested.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    As far as we know Apple is not interested at all.

20. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    There is a long thread going on 458/488 section too... hmmmm...

21. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    I work in the aerospace arena. One of the major system suppliers we work with is collaborating with McLaren Applied Technology to adapt some of their advanced position sensors for aerospace use. They obviously have something to offer other areas of advanced tech besides automotive. Whether the story about Apple has any legs or not, only fools would suggest that they have nothing Apple might be interested in.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I completely agree. I actually think this could work pretty well for both sides.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    But but but but ginge says McLaren has only primitive technology and talent that Apple far surpasses!

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #49 Zack, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    You are being a bit disingenuous, probably because ginge was dismissive of you. He said that McLaren had primitive (or no) technology in autonomous, electric vehicles. Whether it's absolutely true or just fundamentally true, you can't doubt that Apple's software and hardware expertise in these areas is indeed far, far ahead of McLaren's. Set your ego aside and admit it, this is true. As such, it makes zero sense for Apple to acquire McLaren.

I saw the ludicrous headline on Jalopnik and didn't even bother to read the article. It's beyond absurd and most people with common sense don't need McLaren to issue a statement to realize that.

Trying to goad ginge into conceding some tangential point is not really going to change this basic truth.