Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Apple In Talks To Buy McLaren

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Hollywood-GP, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Weird no, but very clever.

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    yep, spare parts won't be a problem. one size fits all. I've no problem with them using the same engine, be it Ferrari or McL. true Ferrari have multiple model lines but McL have to start somewhere....

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    "McLaren currently records yearly losses"

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    "Igor currently reads articles from 2014."

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    McLaren are a growth company, they are not trying to build profits yet. What profits they do make are being fed back into product development, which is good for customers.

6. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Low volume high performance/luxury is not Apple's founding philosophy. If one examines the Apple Watch, Tim Cook's first new product, it becomes obvious that the Hermes partnership is a good indication of Apple's lack of luxury image in the premium market. McLaren's low sales volume in units and in revenues do not fit the giant money-making machine such as Apple. Tesla is a much better fit...electric, self-driving technology, cool, and with a wait list longer the iPhone! (i.e., the 350,000 model 3 buyers). Their headquarters are miles away from each other. Tesla is bleeding red ink with no end in sight and Apple will further enhance its brand and worldwide recognition. e.g., Tesla is doing very poorly in China whereas Apple is doing great. They have been in talks before so it is quite possible. Musk may be quite happy to focus on his rockets and solar energy. Car-making, which requires a great deal of mechanical, operational, and design talents, does not seem to be Musk's cup of tea so far.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    McLaren valued less than a headphone maker.

https://www.ft.com/content/523422ba-7ffd-11e6-8e50-8ec15fb462f4

"The lossmaking automotive group was likely to be valued at between £1bn and £1.5bn, the people said.

That would make it Apple’s biggest acquisition since the $3bn purchase of Beats Electronics, the audio group founded by Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, in 2014."

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #84 TheMayor, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

Really? My guess is someone leaked the story as a trial balloon. Most likely Apple.

Apple's plans for working with McLaren on Project Titan 'have stalled'

Apple's plans to buy McLaren 'have stalled'

Talks between Apple and McLaren took place earlier in 2016, but have now stalled amid speculation that the iPhone maker was considering buying the British supercar company and Formula One team owner.

IBTimes UK understand that US-based Apple executives visited the McLaren headquarters in Woking, Surrey several months ago and looked around the Foster and Partners-designed factory. A similar scenario previously took place at BMW, which was visited by Apple chief executive Tim Cook in 2015, but negotiations to work together also stalled.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    so what

11. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Exactly. not saying that McL may not buy apple stuff to put in their car but someone is spinning a potential "relationship" as a buyout. Who has bought a boat load of Mc Laren or shorted apple before this non sense article? same guys spining the CDOs in 08? Or Well Fargo CEO may be?

12. SiSc

SiSc Rookie

Jul 22, 2016
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Knor
    I personally think Rimac is a better option for any Tech company looking to buy into any car companies. Their cars are fully electric and faster than any cars. The 'egg company might have issues if someone purchases Rimac Automobili . They apparently produce a bunch of parts and tech for them.

13. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    Yes really. Obviously you don't work here across the street from Apple or drink at our local Starbucks. Geeks like to talk, especially when the double and triple shots of espresso kick in.

14. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Your sources are some blokes in a starbucks?

Hahahahaha! How absurd.

15. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    Gingy, who taught you to read???

There is a Starbucks (it's a brand of coffee shops) across the street (road) from Apple HQ (Headquarters) where Apple employees (people who work there) drink different kinds of coffee (a drinkable stimulant) and they also talk about things.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hahaha, so funny !

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I hate to post negative comments but you seem to have absolutely no clue as to how corporations, M&A deals and corporate strategy works (or media for that matter). Maybe take a step back and learn about them first.

18. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    You should be running to CNN with those types of sources. Some blokes in a coffee shop.

Absurd stuff.

19. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

1. No there isn't. Nearest Starbucks is about a mile away.

2. No reason to go there because Apple has gourmet coffee bars on campus.

3. You'll never hear Apple employees chatting outside about secret work. Not gonna happen.

4. It is reliably rumored that the project Titan isn't even in the HQ area...

SV

20. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    Sorry to contradict you SV but you are obviously not involved in this project.

1. Yes there is a Starbucks. I'm referring to near the Campus 2 location, get with the program. Obviously the exact project location site is not publicly acknowledged. Yet.

2. Regrettably Apple's gourmet coffee bars don't serve Starbucks's White Chocolate Cinnamon Chai Latte.

3. You've obviously never heard, pardon the pun, of one of these: Spy Tech: 10 Gadgets for the Secret Agent - Slide 3 - Slideshow from PCMag.com

4. Correct. And Project Titan is not internally communicated by that name.

21. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    As a silicon valley resident... I heard this was a speculation piece after a couple of former Apple engineers happened to meet with some folks in McLaren's platform development group. The 'former' part was stressed in the conversation.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow... so that's how you get your financial news? Starbucks?

Is this the HBO version of Silicon Valley you're talking about? Do the guys from Pied Piper hang out there?

23. Visioneer

Visioneer Karting

Aug 4, 2016

Sometimes the news happens at McDonalds too.

No, not HBO, SKY is looking into it.

Are you a Pied Piper fan or a groupey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Hooey. The saucer campus isn't staffed yet. Who cares what's nearby? Nobody but construction workers there.

Troll posts.

My own view of the McLaren rumor is the only piece of interest would be the ID and knowledge of real automobile design. But they would be highly unlikely to be interested in gas vehicles. And would likely destroy mclaren's business if they were in fact to buy them. Can't see Apple doing that. Or McLaren.

Can see Apple,doing something with one of the secondary design/manufacturing firms if apple wants to continue to move in this direction...

SV

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yah the next time I need the latest financial information on one company buying another I'll head to a Starbucks by Apple and listen to what people say.

Or I could just throw darts at the wall at one sign "Yes" and another sign "No"