is the bubble due to burst? | Page 110 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Well, I can only watch in wonder at the press coverage of deutsche bank, only a couple of years ago the most sound financial institution in the world.. now with so much coverage something is wrong... will it fail, I hope not but like many have said before it is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy..
    The Ferrari market is a lot safer than money in the bank.. I would rather have assets to touch and feel rather than shares or money in the bank, especially Deutsche Bank.
    F40's, GTO, Enzo's or money in a failed bank....

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    IF Deutsche bank goes down ..it will take a whole load of other ships with it, truly terrifying.
    My guess is the US can't afford to hit it with such a huge fine ..as that could trigger something a lot bigger in the US.

3. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Ferrari 308 GTB, I think they will, to teach the Euorpean's a lesson over the Apple tax laws.
    Its tit for tat at the moment.
    Like every asset class, confidence is the driving factor, and all this does it once again prove cash or having to put cash in banks is very risky.
    Alternative assets are here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1835560/brit-man-stuns-car-dealership-in-kent-buying-six-ferraris-without-even-looking-at-them-and-sent-top-gears-stig-to-test-drive-them/

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This doesn't look good.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    £600k looks like a good deal !

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm referring to someone buying a bunch of cars with scared money. I doubt the buyer intends on driving these cars.

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I think there has been a crazy turn in the more modern cars, which leads them susceptible to the first correction. The older cars have the biggest risk of old generation vs new generation of buyers, but once electronics come into play, unless the next generation of collectors find it fun to revitalize electronics ( which I could see happening), there will be a disconnect.

Shawn

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok understood,yes there is a lot of cash still floating around the world,question is what to do with it ?

With the uncertainty in Uk due Brexit etc property market looking wobbly.
    Bank interest near to zero
    Share market looking bit wobbly too
    Art/wines see above.

I guess he will drive few times a year on trips to UK,at least he has got more than a piece of paper ( 6 beautiful Ferrari's)... they might fluctuate a bit in price but it's unlikely he will need to offload them fast at any stage ...so all in all a good buy .if he eventually sells then probably no capital gains tax too.

Smart guy imho.

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    What I understand from friends in economics Deutsche Bank was a zombie in 2007/2008, and since then only expanded on an already insanely large derivatives portfolio. It was never a secure/sound bank and is/was bound to hit a wall.
    Europe in my view is a mess and the EUR especially. I fully expect the EUR at parity with USD in the coming year or so. And as a result I have posted here before that I expect stabilization of prices in USD terms, but in EUR terms could be a different matter entirely.

10. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Property looking wobbly indeed, bonds too, what is left to flow your cash to? Stocks, USD and other assets, like art and cars imho.

11. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Buy one of the Ferrari Supercars (GTO/F40/F50/Enzo), a Lamborghini Miura (any variant) or a Countach Downdraft!

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

Yes great idea (dream) F40 is the cheapest by far right now? Dear Santa...

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #2738 technom3, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    While I understand that cars should be driven. And I always love when enthusiasts buy cars....

Not driving the car isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Most people who work in cubicles have no intention of owning a fraction of exxon mobile or maybe ford motor company or GMAC. But they do.

Most people who buy Ford on the stock market don't ever intend to design, build, maintain a ford.

Cars have changed they have become alternative assets.

Or rather SOME cars have become alternative assets.

Snake oil salesmen have tried to stretch that grouping of SOME and oversold many cars to be in that class when they are not. That sector is where the issue will be where prices were raised due to false hope, false representation and flat out bull****. There were plenty of people listening and while the buying and selling was going it was a "proven" model. When the buying cools/ed off... it will be the real tell tale. This is why some people in this thread have errouneously called it a Ponzi scheme. It wasn't a direct Ponzi as there was no single benefactor etc... however, the self fullfilling prophecy and "proven" track record was the same as a Ponzi so it shares many characteristics and was pretty much sold with similar tactics. Again, not unlike the housing boom.

I think that puts a nice little bow on it.

I think I solved it.

**** it I solved it. Close and lock the thread. LOL

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The problem from an enthusiast viewpoint is investors drive prices up when scared and down when they dump to move back into the stock market or whatever.

15. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    I work as a senior (ish) partner in a large profitable law firm, let me tell you 25 years ago all the young lawyers wanted a 911 or 355 etc.

Now a few things - wife's much more emboldened and moaning "we could have a kitchen", they dont aspire to cars in the same depth and they dont like assets that require maintenance. They dont like conspicuous consumption.

Plus the whole climate change thing.

Bottom line - they are not like us !! Impact on market - unclear. Plus emerging markets may fill the void.

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes those are the OTHER cars I was speaking of.

Just know not to buy in the hype and only to sell.

I made a post at some point when a guy was talking about his 430 spider he paid 130k or something like that and now that its worth 250k he wouldn't sell it for 350k (it was something along these lines)

I just said, don't be the guy who complains when is car is only worth 90 or 100 then when the car is no longer "fashionable" You can't only take the highs... well you can... you just have to know when to get off the ride...

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    67 k for that 550 damn....

18. galileo

galileo Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Must have been something wrong with that car. Dash has some fugazi material on it..

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ya think?

Here's a perfectly normal yet unexceptional 550 that was sold by a better auction house at the same venue on the same day. $280k plus.

1998 Ferrari 550 Maranello | Gooding & Company

Let's get real here. People can pull out all of the basket case freak show cars they want to "prove" alleged 60% drops across the board but that just isn't the truth. The truth is that good cars get good money and crap cars get crap money. I don't think that's particularly exciting or surprising to anyone who actually walks the auctions and views the cars in person, as has been stated numerous times in this thread.

20. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am not following this that closely, but I am a bit confused - the link you posted is from Pebble Beach a few months ago, the one posted above from Mecum was from this weekend. Not from the same day...?

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The link took me to a 550 sold at Mecum in Monterey on that same day, not a newer auction.

My point is that a lot of this is meaningless unless the car can be seen in person so that people can understand if we are truly seeing apples to apples, particularly at Mecum which is known to all experienced bidders as a "buyer beware" auction house.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Seems like a very reasonable take!

23. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I believe it was from yesterday, Saturday October 8, at the Mecum Chicago auction. You can see it in the list here - lot S109: https://www.mecum.com/auctions/chicago-2016/lots/page/21/

Btw - I noticed in another thread that you sold your 550. It seemed like a great example, curious why you decided to part with it?

24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Long story that's detailed in the owners section and I don't particularly want to go over it all here. It is a stellar car and I hardly see any 550s that are as nice. I traded it for a perfect 2007 F430 with 8k miles and all of the options and colors I wanted (plus some cash back).