3500GT, AM101-1886 | FerrariChat

3500GT, AM101-1886

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Dalin, Jan 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #1 Dalin, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,
    I will be starting my restoration shortly.
    The car is chassis 1886, late 1961 carb car.
    The pictures show how the car looks from outside at the moment - reasonable condition given it was sitting for a few decades, probably.

It is missing a few things, some of which I have now managed to source - still in need of the oil radiator, especially, and a few other hard to find items.

The problem I am trying to sort out now is - as pictured - the inside cover of the heater tube in the left fender - as you see the cover sheet is rounded in my car, something which I have not seen in any other 3500GT. Might it be original or replacement done by previous owner?
    And, the other thing, the ventilation openings in front of the windshield (pictured) - not a common thing to see, but some cars apparently had it - were these originally made by Maserati or was the some shop making these back in 60's? Does anybody have those on their car?

Thanks for any advice or hint,

Dalin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Looks like quite the project. I would say the vents on the top of the fenders were hit and miss i.e. put on some cars and not on others. Mostly not.
    The area circled in red looks to be added on later.
    Good luck with the project and looking forward to seeing progress here on your blog.
    Ciao,
    FGM

3. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Dalin, the cowl vents were used on about a dozen 3500's of your vintage. 3500's do get hot inside and I think this was an attempt to bring more fresh air into the cabin. I'm pretty sure it was a abandoned because when the seals leaked, you would wind up with wet feet.
    They also made some 3500's with side opening vents on the front fenders, but these were also discontinued.
    I've never seen a rounded sheet metal cover over the air ventilation hose. My guess is that is was added somewhere along the way.
    Good luck with your project
    LMR

4. 3500GTista

3500GTista Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Alan Michaels
    My 101-2786 has the cowl vents, for whatever that is worth. I haven't yet tried to source a replacement rubber gasket for these. Please advise if you do and I will do the same. Rounded sheetmetal as described? No have not seen this either. Share a photo of the opposite side or more of the underhood, please.
    Thank you
    Alan

5. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    #5 andymont, Jan 30, 2015
    This is AM101-2324 and the air vents seem identical .

I agree with Frank and Carnutz about the rounded sheet metal cover .

Ciao

Andrea

6. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #6 Dalin, Feb 1, 2015
  7. graemewy

graemewy Rookie

Dec 17, 2010
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 graemewy, Feb 1, 2015
  8. graemewy

graemewy Rookie

Dec 17, 2010
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I should have mentioned my car is 101 1806.

9. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Great, your car seems to be very close to mine as of production date - would you mind taking a few pics of under the hood for me? Would be grateful - thank a lot!

10. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #10 Dalin, Jan 16, 2016
    Does it always take more time than expected to renovate a car? Does for me... Not a big expert as it's the only second car of mine I am trying to manage, but would be interesting to hear what others' experiences are...
    A bit of delay, caused by my workshop guy having to finish another delayed project, the car is now dismantled, the body waiting to be moved to a tinner experienced with aluminum.
    Engine dismantled and worked on, looking to be in very good shape - pistons, camshaft followers and valves and springs all decided to be kept.

Still a very beginning, a lot of work to be done to chase missing parts - working on a fuel cell which I got a wrong (Sebring) one, front windshield (probably to team up with another 3500 GT to produce locally as prices on ebay went a bit crazy).
    Missing a rear air-to-glass diffusor if someone has one spare, wheel cups not yet sure which one is good source as prices differ a lot.
    The car was missing all the under-the-rear-right-fender instruments, will have to decide how to face these, whether to make not working replicas or try to source some.

A few photos enclosed, not much to report yet as only dismantled car is where we reached so far.

11. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Dalin...

What do you mean by rear-air-to-glass diffuser? Where would this be found in the
    parts manual?

Also, what do you mean by under-the-rear-right-fender instruments?

Thanks...

Mike

12. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Hi Mike,
    not sure what is the correct name in English as the italian parts manual says "diffusore aria", part 3 in table 34 of the 3500GT manual.

By the latter I mean the fuel pump and fuel filter that my car was missing.

Regards,

Dalin

13. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thanks Dalin.. Now I see what you are looking for!

Mike

14. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #14 Dalin, Jan 19, 2016
  15. F.Engineering

F.Engineering Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 23, 2015
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    Fabio
    Ciao Andrea,
    Sei si Modena per caso?
    Io sono di Cesena, piacere.
    Fabio

16. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    That head looks to have some serious problems. My guess is that it is not savable.
    This is the reason we need to use distilled water and an antifreeze made for aluminum blocks.
    Ciao,
    FGM

17. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #17 Dalin, Mar 7, 2016
    The head now back from milling, quite lucky I was as the porosity has only been on surface and the head looks to be in very good shape after 1.3mm of material has been removed.
    The body has been now cleaned as well and ready to be moved to a tin man. Curious how some parts look almost like new after cleaning, still a huge amount of work ahead!

18. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Thank you for sharing.

19. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    Sent a PM

20. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #20 Dalin, Oct 5, 2016
    Been a while since I last found time for an update. It has been a busy summer for the car, a a steep learning curve for myself.

Thanks to all the members of the forum that have helped, either with advice or sourcing of parts, that rusty thing now gets closer to being a car again...

Tinmakers work now close to being done, shall be returning soon, a few photos only of different stages of work.

21. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #21 Portenos, Oct 5, 2016
    Very nice gas tank Dalin. Any chance your guy could make another one for me?
    As you can see mine is a bit rough.
    Ciao,
    FGM

22. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #22 Dalin, Oct 5, 2016
    Other parts also getting completed, engine head finished a while ago, engine about to be done soon, all parts carefully checked, honed, replaced, balanced, and... you know...
    All the inner bearing holders and few more places stamped with the engine factory number, quite important for mine as the engine has been one of those few not having the production number stamped on the block and therefore is only identified by that 4-digit factory number, matching the Maserati Classiche papers.

Gearbox also finished earlier and ready to be mounted.

Axles finished and mounted to the car in the middle of the tin making work, to have the car properly settled when fine tuning doors and other moving parts.

Radiators have been beautifully redone, the oil radiator having been made from a scratch by a sample from another car, as I my car has been missing it.

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Great work Dalin. You are doing a bang up job!
    FGM

24. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    #24 Dalin, Oct 8, 2016
    Wiring has been a nightmare, but new harness is done. I stopped counting hours spent already at studying the old harness, it's been quite a few days then, but I will be able to use to know how when making another one for the other car.

25. Dalin

Dalin Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    Radiator cooling fan was missing in the car, looking to remake one, I have a few good pictures of what it shall look like, it should be the later type with sheet metal center and four blades riveted to it.
    In case anyone has measures of the diameter and/or size of the blades, would be very helpful.

Also, the car was originally fitted with a Lucas fuel pump (not talking about the injection pump), photo of a placement of the pump and fuel filter in the car would be appreciated a lot, from someone having that type. My car missed both the fuel pump and fuel filter.