Speciale Seats | FerrariChat

Speciale Seats

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by twist-a-grip, Oct 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Am I the only one that hates the fabric seat inserts? Hate em. I dont' even have a Speciale yet, but I've passed on at least 4 or 5 cars that were the right colors, options, wheels, etc. because they had the fabric seats. I'm admittedly getting impatient and found a car that checks all my boxes but the seats. Anyone looked into buying the leather or alcantara seats? I can only imagine they're $10k+, but I don't care. Do the fabric seats make a Speciale a Speciale? Are the leather/alcantara seats too fancy for a "track" car? In 40 years when these are trading at $26m, is it going to be a major issue that the stock seats aren't in the car?

2. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    get some challenge seats, go to the upholsterer and ask for the alcantara you like, match the stiching with the car color, get the horse stiched on the headrest and put your initials or whatever below.

in 40 years just move back the standard seats you still store in your garage.

problem solved?

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the idea, but I don't want race seats as I have a dedicated track car. The Speciale will be one of my weekend/very occasional track cars.

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Speciale seats SUCK. I pulled them out of both of mine and replaced one with Enzo seats and the other with CS seats. Much better, problem solved.

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I like the seats in my Speciale. 3D fabric looks great to me. What is it exactly about the 3D fabric that bothers you?

If you're planning on keeping a Speciale for the long term (good idea BTW), then keeping the seats original is important IMHO.

6. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    I have in my speciale full alcantara seats directly from the factory. Here in Europe you find from time to time Speciale equipped with these seats

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can you post us a good photo please Rick ?

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #8 720, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    I just think the fabric looks and feels cheap in a $400k car. I suspect many original buyers knew this car was just a place holder for their next Ferrari so they didn't spend extra on options and that's why a lot of cars don't have the right carbon fiber bits and seats. I've only seen 4-5 cars on the market with an MSRP over $360k because those guys that got $360k+ cars knew they'd be keeping them for a while and were wiling to spend the money to add some of the more expensive options. Just one man's opinion.

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I don't know where to start disagreeing with you. Funny how people look at the same thing and come to completely different conclusions. I ordered my Speciale, and I would not have ordered anything other than the 3D fabric seats. I have Alcantara seats in my Stradale (which suits the Stradale because it's more raw than the Speciale), and I was glad that Ferrari put 3D fabric seats in the Speciale. I would have paid extra to get them that way.

Regardless of seats, once you find the right Speciale you are going to be very happy!

11. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    +1

12. Melons

Melons Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    3d fabric rocks... Now the technical fabric sucked and I had that all changed to leather

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mint

14. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm intrigued. Do you have any pictures of either car with the new seats installed?

15. groutguy

groutguy Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2014
    I love my 3D seat inserts. They are designed for enhanced grip, while providing much better breathing. They also take a fair bit of abuse.
    To me they are perfectly suited to the nature of the car, but everyone has their own opinion. That's why Ferrari has the tailor made program.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  16. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    As far as I know 3D tech fabric is only available on select models, Scud, Speciale and the like. As soon as I knew that, I quickly liked the fact. Save the 'normal' seats for my next less Speciale Ferrari (yes there is such a thing when you have a Speciale tucked up in the garage!) Besides, the brochure car is always going to be the most sought after down the track. That had 3D fabric :)

Good luck, when you find her, you'll realise why it didn't work out with any of the others ;)

17. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    agree with the quest to get leather / alcantera. the fabric seems out of place - the speciale is not a track car - that would be the 458 challenge, which at almost half the price can blow away a speciale on the track.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    didn't like the look in my speciale either. Have seen with leather and its a huge upgrade visually.

19. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    +1

20. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    UPDATE - dealer who has the car I like just told me the cost for two new OEM seats with either leather or alcantara is only $19k/seat and it will only take 3-4 months to build and ship. That seems like a reasonable deal - a pair of seats that cost more than 10% of the MSRP!!!

Seriously - can this be correct???

21. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    fabric is what makes it a speciale!

22. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    if hes on acid - yes...

23. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #24 Eilig, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For anyone interested, I've got a pair of brand new (never used!) black leather/Alcantara Daytona seats that will swap directly into a Speciale... I had planned on installing these in mine, until I found the Enzo seats. These seats were spec'd through the Atelier program, and have grey Alcantara inserts with red leather Daytona crosshatches, red Cavallinos in the headrests, red stitching, and red piping.... Very unique and unusual spec seats, probably not another pair like them anywhere. In beautiful new condition, certainly worthy of installation in a Speciale. Photos below, PM me if interested. I'll sell them.

Important note: Because these are MANUAL seats, they will swap directly into a Speciale with no issues. If they were electric, it would be an entirely different (and more complicated) story.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I was quoted same by my dealer last year when I was looking to order a different size pair, because the lumbar in my size XL seats was hitting me in the wrong place in my back, causing pain. This is indeed what you'll pay if you order them from Maranello, or at least it's consistent with what I was told by my dealer as well....