Battery life in FF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Battery life in FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Pinarello, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the oem tenders definitely behave CTEK "light"

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Yes, it's rather funny to change from DC to AC, and then back to DC. Years ago when I had to park on the street and I lived so close that I commuted with my bike, I just pulled the battery out and connect the battery to the tender inside the house. Of course, that also made the car somewhat theft-proof. Obviously, hauling the battery in and out can be a PITA.

3. swede

swede Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm. Wonder if that could work. Just not sure I could rig that via the tender plug due to the current that could go between the batteries. Not my area of expertise but I do like the idea!

Haha. Great way to theft-proof a bit! I thought of just "cutting" the main power but the FF doesn't have a "kill switch" (that I could find) like my F430 so I'd have to remove the cable to the battery -- and the manual also suggests not disconnecting the battery due to "all the electrical systems" in the car. Probably doesn't matter and I might do this next time I have to let it sit for 15+ days.

Thanks guys.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I'd be very hesitant to kill the power to these modern cars. I don't *know* this, but I can just imagine their computers and other associated electronics wouldn't like it very much. Thats the problem- these things are constantly working/ thinking...

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, make sure to double check with your favorite dealership's service dept about cutting power for so long.

6. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    quick reply, thanks to all the input I bought a European version of the 7002 (ie the XS 7000 with 2.5m confort connect extension) - it works like a treat and my car does not suffer even after a series of short journeys.

7. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Yesterday I put my third battery in my '14 FF with not quite 20,000 miles. It would not hold a charge more than one day and start the engine, just like the first two batteries.

Here is what I'm gonna try. If left in the garage more than two days I will plug in the charger. It seems like this summer I let it set for three weeks on two separate occasions without the charger and it was after the second occasion that it started to not hold a charge. We had a great summer so I was driving the Cali T most of the time. We will see what happens this winter as I drive both all year, all weather.

I bought the battery from Interstate and it is a AGM battery part number MT5-49/H8 for those interested.

jblaw likes this.
  8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Thanks for the part number on the Interstate battery. Did you have to special order it? If not, which store did you use?

Was your second battery oem like the the first one that came with the FF?

9. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #34 -CD-, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have trouble with batteries in all my Ferraris since F430.

First time i change battery with a new Ferrari but after several expensive battery changes
    and no real improvement on battery life i switch to aftermarket (Bosch, Varta, Odyssey, etc.)
    and all is fine. :)

But i still try to use the battery tender as much as i can.

Btw location from the FF battery sucks... :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #35 -CD-, Nov 17, 2016
  11. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It's time for an after market battery.

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    pretty sure i have an interstate battery in my ff after the original died. the car can sin up to 2 weeks without use and be fine

13. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    Can you buy the battery and change yourself ? Or have to take to the dealer ?

14. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I did it by myself! I do all works i can handle by myself if it's no issue for guarantee without dealer/workshop. :)

15. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    To bad we can't use any of the OPTIMA batteries...

16. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I used an Interstate store on the west side of Toledo, Ohio. They had it in stock. The second battery was an Interstate too.

Lifting it out and putting it back in is VERY difficult. The battery is quite big and fairly long. There is a small stud to the right of the battery (looking at the battery from the front of the car), along with a sheet metal cable guide device also to the right. Both complicate battery movement. It is very difficult to lift, but it does come out and go back in. If you do it yourself, write down everything you do taking it out, step by step so you get it all back in correctly.

2 weeks without charging is probably correct. I will from now on make it a maximum of one week and see if this battery lasts longer.

The FF is an amazing car, worth all of this effort! Yesterday I put the snow tires on it and my California T, looking forward to driving it in the snow again, and this minute it is actually snowing like mad.

17. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    O H !

18. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    Usually 10 days, however it depends on outside temperature and if you have or not sat anti theft systems active or not...

19. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Did you have to connect the terminals to another battery while changing it? Or is it okay to completely disconnect the terminals? I have heard some mentioned it might be a good idea to leave a door or window open just in case the computer goes crazy.

20. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman

There is no requirement to reset computers in a modern Ferrari. I'd roll windows down only because without a battery they won't lower themselves down a little as required to open the door. All you will need to do when done is reset the date and time plus turn on cruise control (pit),

Putting the FF battery back in, connect the tray terminal quick disconnect before dropping the battery back in

21. pelank

pelank Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Monaco
    Has anyone bought a replacement battery in Europe that was not OEM (we do not have Interstate here)? thanks!

22. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #47 -CD-, Nov 22, 2016
    Yes! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That sure looks heavy. I worry about my back...don't ever want to injure my back. How heavy is it?

24. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My back still hurts... :D

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007