Stratos induction system on 246GT | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Stratos induction system on 246GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Aug 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Looks like it is for a NOS single carb

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct... :)

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #253 4CamGT, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did a Google search and found Peter's car and also another Dino with the Stratos setup. Pretty cool reading!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/324331-dino-sightings-sweden.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/268877-mysterious-dino-lancia-stratos-carbs.html

Because the special Stratos IDF's are extremely difficult to come by, Simon bought the current 40 IDF's and is fabricating his own manifold. A really interesting development! He's making a second air box similar to mine but unique to fit the new IDF's.

Peter, in your air box, I don't see a PCV valve (#7) that is routed from the oil catch tank (#6). What was your solution for this?

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #254 rosso corsa motorsport, Nov 25, 2016
  5. rosso corsa motorsport

rosso corsa motorsport Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    #255 rosso corsa motorsport, Nov 25, 2016
  6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #256 4CamGT, Nov 25, 2016
    This Dino comp motor has a unique crankcase blowby arrangement. Can someone explain? I'm trying to figure out where it goes at the firewall.

Freeman

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #257 4CamGT, Nov 25, 2016
  8. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    My guess is that it goes to a real oil catch tank mounted somewhere near the fire wall.

Item 6 in the parts diagram is more of an oil vapor recovery/return tank. It probably would not meet the requirements for a competition oil catch can. They are usually much more substantial and required to have a capacity of at least 1 US quart.

9. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    [QUOTE

Because the special Stratos IDF's are extremely difficult to come by, Simon bought the current 40 IDF's and is fabricating his own manifold. A really interesting development! He's making a second air box similar to mine but unique to fit the new IDF's.

Freeman[/QUOTE]

Freeman,
    It is the same road taken with my conversion. It is being done with current production, currently available IDF carburetors. I will be happy to share all information and provide photos of the installation as soon as I take possession of the car - and that should be very soon. I hope.
    In the meantime, I can only say that the conversion involves a Stratos type intake manifold and current IDF carburetors with altered fuel inlets.

I find it very interesting to see that you replaced the short intake horns. You must have concluded that the horns would be too short to have any effect as a velocity stack. Better to concentrate on air flow only. You may very well be right. The new version you made looks like they should flow better than the short horns.

Lars

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #260 4CamGT, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Lars,

I now put back on the short 16mm trumpets. Initial feeling is they're "snappier". I will drive it a bit tomorrow to validate. Believe it or not, they perform better with the air box top on vs off. Stay tuned! I really look forward to seeing your arrangement!

Freeman

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #261 4CamGT, Nov 26, 2016
    Took my Dino this morning to our local C&C. So far I have to say I'm loving the 16mm trumpets! Great torque and response throughout the range. Amazing sound!!

Freeman

hyenahf likes this.
  12. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Unless there is a source of vacuum / suction attached to the oil / vapor separation canister, it is wishful thinking that much vapor is going to end up in it. Most will go thru the large diameter tube, wherever it goes.

13. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    I'm curious as to why you went thru the trouble of putting a PCV inlet into your air box.

Is it required for local emissions laws, or do you think it is better to have it for some reason?

Personally I would rather not have oily air going into my engine.

Jim Oddie

14. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Freeman, is there much tonal difference in or loudness of the sound with the top on vs off?

If not, I guess the filters let thru almost all of the sound and the top is irrelevant.

Jim

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #265 4CamGT, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Not really. It's about the same. Probably as you said, because the filter is unobstructed.

Freeman

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #266 4CamGT, Dec 11, 2016
    Here's an update. I think I now have the ideal combination for performance, drivability and a non-evasive/no mods install. The short stacks really work well. Crisp immediate throttle response and torque throughout all driving transitions. Immediate start-up hot or cold, immediate idle without choke. I've added a PCV valve. No difference in behavior.

The combination of the OEM NOS Stratos induction, Winterburn CDI points ignition (basically the best direct plug and play original type points triggered replacement for the Dinoplex IMHO) and the NOS Marelli distributor has transformed my Dino.

I look forward to every drive on any road. Because there is no longer any fuel starvation or flooding in corners it's possible to upgrade the wheels/tires/brakes to higher performance. I will keep mine stock but I can now see why a Stratos could be upgraded to really wide wheels/tires and make use of them.

My gearbox works really well but now I dream of straight cut colotti gears! I want to do more research here so I'd love to hear from those with experience.

http://www.colotti.com/index.php/catalight/view/h263bf0b5e/t-202

I now feel I have a Dino that delivers on it's visual promise!!!

Freeman

hyenahf likes this.
  17. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    You need a Stratos now.

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #268 4CamGT, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Francis,

I would love a Stratos but for a very different reason than for a Dino! A Stratos AND a Dino would be the right choice!!!

Freeman

19. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Wow, that car sits beautifully in the attack position !!!!!

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Today Freeman was kind enough to let me experience the Stratos carb setup first hand on his Dino. All I can say is WOW! Having had the chance to drive a fair number of Dinos over the years this is truly on another level of performance. The engine is crisp and pulls with more force. Cornering fuel starvation is eliminated and the engine note is nothing short of Grand Prix car of the era. Combine that with the beautiful lines of the Dino and a perfect Southern California day and you are left with an exciting cocktail for adventure. Luckily the video is safely locked away to prevent any incrimination :)

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Rob,

It was truly great to see you today and have the pleasure of experiencing my Dino from the passenger seat! I really take your words as one the greatest compliments so far, knowing what you've accomplished with your brother and have been able to experience with Dinos and 308's! To give everyone a visual, the final part of our drive is from Pacific Coast Highway up our steep hill which goes from sea level directly to 700ft above sea level in 1/2 mile of switchbacks. This is a test for any car! A mini version of the Stelvio Pass, Monte Carlo and Targa Florio combined! Rob and I lamented afterwards that many Dino owners don't "really" drive their cars. My satisfaction is in a car doing what it promises! Rob, you give me inspiration to bring my Dino to the next level!

Freeman

22. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Someone should scan these parts so we can 3D print them. Sounds like a fantastic improvement.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It is a HUGE improvement! I was fortunate to acquire a complete NOS assembly (special Stratos IDF's, intake manifold etc complete). To replicate what I have you need to get the Stratos intake manifold. There's a guy in Italy, Roberto Cassetta that can source them or cast new ones. The Stratos IDF carbs are unique with a special cast fuel intake allowing the carbs to be spaced closer together. You can readily buy new IDF's with the center fuel intake. They just need a flat plate installed on the side to replace a cast protruding cover.

They would need to be jetted to Stratos specs. Installing the assembly is straight-forward. You just remove your stock carb assembly and install the Stratos assembly with the same two bolts. Linkage hooks right up.

The air filter box is what took all the time. To create an assembly that comfortably fit under the stock engine lid, worked flawlessly and required no mods to the car. Assembly uses the stock Stratos/308 air filter element.

Drivability and performance is awesome. Completely transforms the engine. The stock carbs were such an Achilles heel. Why live with that?

If anyone that's serious about doing this to their Dino, I'm more than happy to help with advise and contacts.

Great part is it can be returned to stock in about 20 minutes!

Freeman

24. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California