Lewis Hamilton - Poorest F1 Loser Ever? | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton - Poorest F1 Loser Ever?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Is Lewis Hamilton the Poorest Loser that F1 has ever seen?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    What says the group?

Is Lewis Hamilton the Poorest Loser that F1 has ever seen?

If not, who was worse?

Robb

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I don't know, Senna was pretty bad but then again he had good reason.

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I don't know if he is the poorest loser ever in F1, but he doesn't come out of it today looking too good!

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surely one of them.

Him quitting Mercedes after the Spanish GP (more coming on that) after the collision with Rosberg says it all. Lauda blamed Lewis and he couldn't handle it. That's why Wehrlein was suddenly in the car testing in the following days. After critical talks and negotiations (or a contract waived under his nose, notifying his obligations?) only then he came back. Obviously it was kept silent for the time being.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Nope. Senna or Schumacher got to make contact.

What Hamilton did today was ugly, nasty, unprofessional, whatever. But it was legal. Or almost.

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I thought LH had more in a book about the shocking and terrible mechanics movement in the team. Poor LH he is really the one who cannot take the pressure LOL!!

Nico stronger and smarter!!

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, I am glad I am not the only one thinking like that.

What Hamilton tried to do today - throwing Rosberg in the wheels of Verstappen and Vettel- was very unsporting, considering that he was the GP for himself, and his team always expect a Mercedes 1-2 whatever comes. Thankfully his scenario didn't work.

I don't know if there will be a lot of head-scratching at Mercedes, following this episode, but there should be some doubt about his loyalty to the team.

Rosberg emotionally explained after the race that he could see his team mate tactics, deliberately backing off to ruin his position and allow Verstappen and Vettel to overtake Rosberg, and it was immensely nerve wracking during the last few laps.

One can always say that Rosberg should have attacked Hamilton from the start and taken the lead, but that option was also fraught with danger with Hamilton hell-bent on spoiling his rival's chance to finish.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Based on what we've seen today, do you honestly believe that if Hamilton's only chance of winning the WDC in the last race of the season was to take out a rival in a collision to ensure they couldn't beat him, he wouldn't try it?

Sorry, but I think Lewis would be just as bad as Senna and Schumacher in that situation!

Had he won the WDC with his slow-down tactics today then it would be an ugly win, but he wouldn't care - All that matters to him is that he wins one way or another.

I wouldn't have been happy had that happened, but I would have understood it.

What is really sad today, is Lewis' reaction to losing!

So far, he has completely failed to acknowledge Nico as being a worthy winner of the WDC - And frankly, that's just a bit sad and pathetic!

Had he given Nico some proper congratulations, and welcomed him to the World Championship winners club then he would have come out of the season looking a lot better than he has.

From a purely PR point of view - Lewis Hamilton has dropped a big bollock today!

9. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Before today, I wouldn't have said Hambone is the worst. But I do now. He has some good competition for sure, but today clenched it.

10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Very interesting, never knew it went as deep as this.......

Does shed a different light on some of the comments Lauda and Wolff made over these past months...

11. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    now they have a wdc in the ranks even if they do themselves the favor of ditching Hamilton.

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

This would be a great time to make the change. He had his time and titles and with new regs, cars etc, time for a different Mercedes team. He is easily replaced. The Q for the seat would stretch from JB to FA to others LOL.

I just laugh when the word team is spoken by LH LOL!

13. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    To LH, when he mentions "team", it stops at his garage but clearly does not extend to the next garage over. He should be fired for disobeying team orders today.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    As owners of two Mercedes, my wife and I are turned off by his actions and feel he is tarnishing the brand and the team.

My wife wanted to email the CEO to voice her displeasure. And she is not a ravenous race fan.

So if his actions are able to do that, what must the big office upstairs think...?

The team win for them - and I'm sure the Mercedes marketers can emphasize the dominance of the 1-2 as well as constructors. But to not even authentically congratulate your team mate after a long successful season... poor sportsman.

What is it exactly the Rosberg did to screw over LH? Seems like they were independently pushing themselves and the smarter or "luckier" of the two won the WDC.

Robb

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some people (and Hamilton) are claiming that the crew member swap of 5 people is sabotage or screwing over or whatever they use.

What they do forget, funnily enough, is that by saying that, those engineers are supposedly so much better that they directly must have contributed to Hamiltons 2 titles at Mercedes. What they're saying is that had Rosberg had those engineers the entire time, Rosberg would've now collected his 3rd championship.

Whoops.

16. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Exactly, and this why Hamilton's comments are so mystifying.

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I have never been a fan of LH. He's obviously very talented, but, personally, I don't think he's worth the trouble.

CW

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Really... what do you expect?

In his entire professional life he's been coddled by the two biggest F1 wet nurses of all time: Ron Dennis and Niki Lauda with proud papa Bernie there to wipe his nose.
    Its how he was raised. It's not his fault.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This has been my opinion all along.

A fast driver, but with no manners, no respect and mostly no sportsmanship in him.

20. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    I think we tend to over analyze his comments - he recently said he would be the moral champion but today on Channel 4 they showed another excerpt in which he said the exact opposite.

Basically he utters conflicting crap even if it makes no sense.

Coulthard & Webber went out of their way to say that he could have been just a little gracious. Mansell & Lauda both alluded to unsporting behaviour.

Bottom line he tried every excuse in case he wouldn't be WDC.

But as far as being unsporting, I would have applauded it if Schuey had done what Hamilton did today - guess it depends on whether one supports Hamilton or not.

Having said that, Schuey was never close to being pipped to the title by a team mate save for his broken foot.

Best,

Sammy

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Most probably. But we can only talk about the facts.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    He flip flops his opinion constantly, and has done so for many years. He utters something stupid, it gets printed. Then the PR lady comes along and tells him to say the opposite, and saying he was missquoted. Happens an awful lot :rolleyes:

23. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    i voted for yes and, personally, i can't think of anyone who, over their career, has displayed such juvenile behavior, poor sportsmanship, and is always the one calling foul! he is just a classless teammate, team driver, and sportsman. i suggest mercedes dump his sorry ass and let the petulant, spoiled brat try to find a home elsewhere. he certainly knows now that no other driver will want to be his teammate and hardly any team would welcome him knowing his baggage. he's just that whiny little ***** who also happens to have amazing talent in the car. if i were an F1 boss, i wouldn't want him.

24. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    Interesting comments, but just to play devils advocate for a moment I'll take the other view!

If that was Shuchacher or Senna they would have done only one thing and that would have been to drive into Rosberg and take him off the circuit, what Hamilton did in backing him up wasn't pretty, but hang on this is the World Drivers Championship not a Sunday morning cars and coffee.

As for the team to come on and tell him how to run his race after the last pit stops so as to ensure Rosberg takes the championship, is to me something that goes against the very spirit of motor sport at this level. You must let the best race head to head, tactics are all part and parcel of motorsport back from the earliest days.

The teams excuse of not wanting to let the Ferrari through to take the win or to let Max into the mix is embarrassing, Mercedes have already won the Constructors Championship and proved their car is the best, this wasn't about the win it was about the drivers championship and Mercedes orchestrated it for Rosberg to come out on top.

As for Hamilton being unsporting, I was amazed how sporting he was, after the race he congratulated Rosberg, said how well he had done and shook his hand a couple of times, I didn't see any cap throwing. (Can't figure out the emoji, so here's a 'wink'....)

25. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    LOL! Not even close!

For starters, any contender who deliberately crashed into their title rival in order to win the title is a poorer loser. Therefore, that includes Schumacher (twice), Prost (once), and Senna (once).

Hamilton trying to control the pace to get Rosberg into the clutches of Red Bull or Ferrari was minor by the crash standard. Watching on Sky, I saw Herbert, Hill, suggest that they'd have been mighty tempted to do the same thing if they were in the same situation, and Christian Horner suggested over a week ago that Hamilton should use that strategy.

Toto Wolff acknowledged the same thing, that as a racing driver that was Hamilton's only chance to influence the results from the front, and he'd be thinking long and hard before deciding that it was wrong.

Further, while he didn't have the biggest smile and wasn't leaping for joy, Hamilton was actually gracious in defeat, acknowledging the efforts of the team all season, acknowledging the efforts of Rosberg, congratulated Rosberg when they got out of their cars, shook hands with him a few times on the podium, etc. For what was a bitter pill to swallow, I thought he handled it OK.

Disclaimer - I'm not a Hamilton Hater.