I thought There was a Unwritten Rule | FerrariChat

I thought There was a Unwritten Rule

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Texas Forever, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Guess you don't watch the "local" news. Crime is out of control in the French Quarter.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No, I don't. I remember hearing about a guest getting robbed in one of the hotels. That was really out of bounds. But I still thought most of the bad boys where on the East side.

Too bad.

4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The East is nothing. Crime is all over New Orleans. I work in the FQ and keep my head on a swivel. The criminals come out after midnight and prey on the drunk tourists going to their cars and hotel. Sometimes they run into someone who dissed them and they gotta take of that slight so these things occur. Trouble usually occurs in the first two blocks of Bourbon St. or in front of Chris Owen's Club on Bourbon and St. Louis not sure why there. Stay on well lit streets with a crowd, don't get drunk and keep your head on a swivel, have a plan to kill everyone you encounter and you should be fine. Oh and nothing good happens after midnight.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Too bad. I grew up in Pensacola and have been coming over to New Orleans for a long time. (BTW, if you're not Cajun descent, please don't say Nawlins. You won't be able to get it right. It's New Orleans.) In fact, I once watched Joe Namath destroy the Saints in the old Sugar Bowl.

But your city is going to have to do something. Broken windows, stop and frisk, long rides in cop cars, I don't know what. I hardly ever go into the Quarter and then only during the daytime or around suppertime. But this crime has got to stop.

6. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Nobody here says Nawlins. It is actually more New Arlins and there aren't cajuns here. If you want to see cajuns head to Thibodeaux and Lafayete. The first step would be for NOPD to hire some cops and start actually doing some enforcement work: stopping the cars and bicyclists that drive and ride like there are zero traffic laws, stop the people double parked blocking the streets or parked on sidewalks, stop the jaywalkers, do something about the people pissing on the streets and worse. I bet they would be amazed by the outstanding warrants the scum they stop have.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well this usually comes down to the elected officials and what constituency put them in power and which they intend to keep happy. No different in any train wreck city in the USA. Keep it up and the only tourists you'll have are the one's you do not want. I am a direct descendent of Governor Claiborne and I like to say he started the state off on a long history of political corruption. That snow ball got big enough, time to stop it if you can.

Got to take one of those tour busses if you want to see Cajuns in their natural habitat.

8. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ain't no stopping this snowball. Welcome to Mitch Landrieu's New Orleans.

9. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    You are frequenting NOLA and not getting oysters with me?

Not cool! :)

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    NOLA...a big ghetto with great food. The only decent part of NOLA is the track except it is flat and featureless...

11. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Seriously?

12. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I would dispute the Ghetto part and the great food part. NOLA cuisine is not what it used to be. You have to work to find good food and too many out of town "chefs" with their fusion BS.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nah, ain't been there since!

Really too bad. I know there were abuses in the past with the police, but something has to be done.

My favorite song about New Orleans is actually about Biloxi! Jimmy Buffett sang it, but Jesse Winchester wrote it. Growing up in P-Cola I spent all summer in the water. I can still see the thunderclouds coming from New Orleans.

Down around Biloxi
    Pretty girls are swimmin' in the sea
    Oh they all look like sisters in the ocean
    The boy will fill his pail with salted water
    And the storms will blow from off towards New Orleans

The Sun shines on Biloxi
    The air is filled with vapors from the sea
    And the boy will dig a pool beside the ocean
    He sees creatures from a dream underwater
    And the sun will set from off towards New Orleans

The stars can see Biloxi
    The stars can find their faces in the sea
    And we are walking in the evening by the ocean
    We are splashing naked in the water
    And the sky is red from off towards New Orleans

14. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    I recently saw an interview with a middle age man from New Orleans where he stated that the old school method of settling an argument was done in the parking lot with fists. Now its' done with guns.
    I grew up in NYC and know about violent crime. I love New Orleans but nothing good happens after midnight. I stay away.

15. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That is not unique to New Orleans. Nothing good happens after midnight in any city.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all but if anyone thinks it applies to any city they need to get out more. Born and raised in Oakland. Except for the airport have not been there in a long time, especially after midnight. But Austin is not like that at all nor are most cities that have not surrendered the streets the way liberals do.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The safest downtown area I know is Ft. Worth. The Bass family and others spent their own money to make it so.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There are a lot of places with a crime problem but most of them are smart enough to keep a lid on the part of town that the money comes from whether that is the business district or the tourist district. I have not spent a lot of time in Louisiana but it has always reminded me of a frat house that achieved statehood. That is an attraction of its own kind but if they don't put a lid on it in the FQ they kiss their tourist money good bye. It will still attract people but not the ones with money to spend.

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah...seriously. I have to go back there and race in March. Clue me in on a non-ghetto place to stay near the track. I'm just a tourist and that's what the city looks like to me. Sorry.

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The track is not in New Orleans. It is in the Ghetto of Jefferson Parish.

21. ahirsh

ahirsh Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Unfortunately you are dead right about that area. NOLA Motorsports Park and the TPC Louisiana Golf Course are both in Avondale, and there is NOTHING near there besides the remains of a once-profitable ship yard. Avondale is run down and rough outside of the track and the golf course. The closest good hotels are downtown New Orleans, 30 minutes away on a good day.

New Orleans has a mayor who is more concerned about tearing down Confederate monuments than he is about protecting citizens, that doesn't bode well for growth and prosperity of the city.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I remember when I used to see the Allman Brothers at the Warehouse. I was too young and too stoned to realize the potential danger. :)

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Ok getting out of the airport, the area around the nola track, and around bourbon street seem like a big ghetto. I'm willing to drive from the track to stay at a decent place where my spidey senses aren't on high alert.

I got lucky on great food but I am always open to what locals think is a great pooboy sandwich, jambalaya, and gumbo. Lets here it!!

24. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It's that damn Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis doing all the shooting!!!

25. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Johnny's Po Boys in the Quarter, Pontchartrain Po Boys here in Mandeville is great also and you won't be in the "ghetto". Parran's on Vets is pretty good too.