612 OTO market values higher than FF | Page 11 | FerrariChat

612 OTO market values higher than FF

Discussion in '612/599' started by MoeD, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    Do you miss the glass roof on the 612? The photos of the FF at FoA, with the black headliner, make it look like the inside of a cave. But, hard to tell in just a couple photos.

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

Yes, the glass pano roof was awesome. Available in the FF from 2014, IIRC.

The FofA FF with the quilted headliner is really nice in person. I might have purchased it if I hadn't fallen for the Tailor Made F12 sitting in the same showroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    Any Sessanta owner out there thinking of selling? If so, let me know!

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why specifically a sessanta - i wld think your better of with a 2009 or 2010 OTO no?

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Agree any OTO car (late 08 - 10) unless your major motivation is as an investment. The Sessantas may have more appreciation potential because of rarity but since it is a prototype to the OTO not sure it has all the features of a well optioned OTO? You can always wrap an OTO to look like a Sessanta if the look is the appeal. Besides the Challange wheels look better that the Sessanta wheels IMO.

Also 4 place Ferraris have not historically appreciated particularly well relative to the 2 place Fcars.

6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The FF are now in the price range as the 612 OTO cars. Just saw 12 FF with 35.7k miles for $150k asking price. The OTO low mileage cars are still around $160k and up.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Low mile OTO are 200k in the northeast

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That 2012 is worth 115 wholesale. Ask me how i know

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Was that your black FF for sale at Rusnak?

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no I have a 2012 with 25k miles that I've looked at trading in. my sticker was huge

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yea the first owner of most high end cars usually takes a pretty big depreciation hit which is why I don't buy many new high end cars. Although when I do I usually have them for 5 - 10 years because I usually really like the car and use that as the rational to buy the car new to begin with.

12. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    I support your statements, but only because I hope several Sessanta owners concur as they decide to put their cars on the market... so I can have a chance to purchase one!

But, to be clear, I like several of the small things that set the Sessanta apart, like the non-body color headlights and two-tone paint (except for a few custom ordered cars where the headlights match a single or special body color), the all leather trunk (very few OTO cars had that option from what I can tell), the special wheel hub caps, etc. It is all in the details for me.

That said, if I found a great OTO car that had enough of the bells and whistles, along with an appealing color combination, I'd definitely consider it.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Approximately how many 612 manuals were produced for the USA market ?

Anybody know ?

Thanks

14. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    Does anyone know if the Ferrari factory offers an upgrade/conversion program that converts non-U.S. spec cars to become U.S. spec cars? There are so many great cars that seem destined to only enter the U.S. when they reach 25 years of age...

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, they do not.

16. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    Since Ferrari won't help with the U.S. homologation process, anyone have experience with companies that do provide that service? How much will an after-market homologation conversion affect a car's U.S. market value, if properly done? 10% hit? 20% hit? More?

17. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    #267 4rextc, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    vcappp likes this.
  18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That really is a nice spec for an FF. Pretty.

19. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I am told 80, I own one of them...

20. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    The Sessantas seem to make sense- 612's haven't rebounded pricewise to become collectible as of yet, but my personal feelings are that any Ferrari of which only 60 exist, has to be worth some real money someday.

But just to make a point- There were not that many OTO's made and certainly few in the USA, so I imagine they will be worth something at some point as well, as their desirability already suggests. For me I am more attracted to the OTO cars than the Sessantas, but i do see your points making the Sessantas very cool as valid and so, it's just a matter of what suits one's tastes on a personal level. OTO's were also each personally ordered, so a very interesting car may bring more interesting money, now and in the future.

In the final analysis though, none of these cars will be worth anything serious anytime soon, and because these more specialized 612's offer contemporary alternatives to the FF and it's styling- as can be reflected by the whole point of this thread, the similar market pricing, buy what turns you on now, & just drive & enjoy!!

21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I certainly agree with the last paragraph. You can't live your life based on residual values. I've never liked the styling of the FF or any of the other similarly styled BMW or MG shooting brake predecessors. So I'm just happy to drive my non-OTO 2007 612 and I really don't worry about residual values at all. I got a great deal when I bought my used 612 and when you think about it, if you pick any current brand-new car in the low $100's, be it Mercedes, BMW etc., your residual value is going to drop much faster per year than any future residual value loss on the 612. So if you're happy driving an awesome car that gets much more respect and attention than any of those new cars, why wouldn't you do it? Worst-case maybe three years from now I sell the 612 and only get $50,000. It will still be worth more than those other cars at that time and I will have had a lot more fun.

22. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Your 612 will not be 50k in a few years- My thinking is they have already hit bottom and the floor has seemed to stabilize. They may or may not move anytime soon, but when they do, they will follow their predecessors in the upward direction.

They are a pretty car and the market was never flooded with them the way FF's were pushed on dealers. Have you ever looked online to see how many FF's are available at any given moment?

That's part of the reason a high end 612 can compare in pricing to them

vcappp likes this.
  23. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've always been drawn to the low-key beautiful car, cloaking a fierce race car. The 612 seems to be the last of that great era.

The newer designs reflect the melliennial generation's need for attention. I'm not sure if these flashier cars will sustain their values as well over time.

Also, remember that the 612 is the last 2+2 to offer a V12 with RWD. FF is V12 AWD, and new Lusso is V12 AWD or Turbo V6 RWD.

24. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Yes I agree the older designs were more beautiful than flashy. Today it's hard to say that any longer.

I used to hear- Ferrari is the girl you marry, a Lambo is your mistress- as she looks good today, but will look dated over time.

But then again, the client base is a newer generation and the thought process different.

So You have a point in that it's hard to tell how current F car product will be received over time.

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #275 raider1968, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    vcappp and 4rextc like this.