Not going to Cavallino this Year | FerrariChat

Not going to Cavallino this Year

Discussion in 'Florida' started by raider1968, Jan 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    first miss in ten years - my wife does not care and resents the costs so I guess we will skip it
    Costs have gotten a little crazy - for two to go on the field Saturday is $400 and $200 for lunch
    I can afford it but it seems out of control - no more regular tracking, no Yacht Hope etc - frankly I think it turned into s**t. Plus didn't go for a room quick enough so room rate was $1090 per night - BS

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Too bad. I haven't been in a long time, but I remember it was a lot of fun.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, we went the last two years, but not this year. I remember two years ago at lunch they restricted you to one 6 oz. soda or water ..... wth.

We're passing primarily because the FCA meet is in Daytona, so we will do that this year.

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    So the annual "Cavallino is too spendy" thread begins. Yes, it's expensive, but I've attended every year since it started in 1992, and still think it's worth it- the quality of the cars is excellent, and the venues sublime.
    No event is perfect, and this one is no exception, but it remains big fun. My two big ones every year are Cavallino and the Grand Prix de Monaco, despite the cost. To each, his own . . .

5. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    6 ounces? Lol.

Scott

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Tickets are a bit expensive yes but you dont see that quality of Ferrari anywhere else, at least in the US. Not even Pebble.

I dont buy ticket for the lunch as it is overpriced (i used to but then realized id rather eat by the cars..) and the Breakers has a little lunch place with decent sandwiches and salad.

I usually only do Thursday to Sat. The track has amazing cars as well and tickets are just 40$ or so..

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Last year I went to the Friday track day. It was pouring rain, but many priceless Ferraris there and on the track. This is the bargain event of the weekend.

My wife and I went to the concour several years ago. Great cars, but from pics I have seen from years after it looks like the same cars are there frequently.

I will be heading to FL on the 13th, but returning the weekend it starts, so not able to go. Maybe next year.

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    It is well known that I have never gotten along with John Barnes due to our differences during the Supercar Weekend days...

Since that time I (slightly) have matured.. and yes the event has changed...

But my honest opinion after visiting Pebble Beach, showing two cars at The Quail Motorsports Gathering and doing a considerable amount of European and American events over the past few years... is that in MANY ways Cavallino is un-paralleled. The location, ambience, quality of cars and the "buzz" it creates around the charming town of Palm Beach is great. No matter what... it is still one of the best.

As an event promoter/producer events change, they grow, they evolve and they are an absolute nightmare to produce! My hat is off to anyone who can keep an event like this going for so long... Its truly a labor of love.

9. HankCarp

HankCarp Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Aug 11, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Hank Carpenter
    It looks like there won't be any Ferrari Dealers there this year either. It's my understanding that none of the Ferrari Dealers are going to be there this year either. I think it's just gotten way out of hand what they are charging, not just for attendance but for setting up as a vendor so I guess it's going to be a little different this year...

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Two divergent points of view.....and I agree with both!

The event is unique, but $400+++ (as a couple) is just not good value, in my opinion. John has the perfect right to charge as much as he wishes. As a "serial attendee" for many years it does feel like I'm seeing a lot of the same cars over and over. Maybe just age?:)

But for all who are going I wish you fair weather and a great experience!

11. Sleepy996

Sleepy996 Karting

May 1, 2014
    @MR.HOTEL_SLIPPERS
    Falling on the same weekend as the Rolex 24 was a deal breaker for my wife and I. Love Palm Beach and big fans of the Breakers but the Rolex is too much fun.

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I heard the track days are going away too. They don't make any money at it.

I like the show. I did the full week several years ago (track days and the concourse). It was a wonderful experience.

13. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    #13 treedee3d, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    I agree with the OP, I am done for a while.....Costs are really exaggerated. It was really expensive at 100$. Now it's just gone insane. I can agree with expensive, cannot agree with insane....

And the "crowd control" excuse or wanting to limit the attendees is a poor one. If it wasn't about lining their pockets they would make a sizeable charity donation. Guess what? they don't so BS on that.

This could have been a great yearly event to attend. As it is now, it has become an event to attend every decade or so.

Nothing wrong with an annual bashing of the Cavallino show prices, this is a forum and we should be able to give our opinions.

I attended the Finali Mondiali event at the beginning of december and it was Spectacular!!! Almost 1000 Ferraris were there, Got to Speak to Kimi, Vettel, Arrivabene, Marchionne, Races, Pit lane passes, unlimited food and drinks (including alcohol) in the hospitality lounge, charging stations, virtual racing for 4 days straight for 175$ TOTAL???? Parking cost me 30$ for 4 days and we brought our big 40' bus!!!! THAT was a bargain, a classy event, so much fun and so enjoyable

14. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thats definitely a big step backwards

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What did dealers bring? Honest question. I know some dealers brought clients cars but that i assume was not out of pocket for the dealers. If they are not coming as vendors to show 488/F12/Lussos and the ferrari merchandise, then it is not a big loss.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I heard a rumor that there's some friction between Cavallino and FNA.....

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    More then a rummer - FNA is totally staying away along with the dealers who they told to stay away - so no new cars from FNA - thats a major loss and no dealer cars or Ferrari vendors - will give it a not better feel

They are not going because of the extremely high costs to FNA and the dealers - guess I was feeling the same way on my opening post

18. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Glad I was not the only one who felt they were getting too greedy

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And you know what's funny, today on the radio here in Boston, the Breakers was advertising a promotion. If you booked now through Feb. 2nd, they are giving $100 a day resort credit. When I heard that I'm thinking they aren't booked for Cavallino?

20. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You can use the $100 resort credit to get a second 6 oz bottle of water :)

Scott

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :D:D:D:D:D

22. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    They quoted me the lowest price for Cavallino $1,900/ night

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    sorry, meant to say $1,090

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm hearing it goes way beyond that. Personally I don't think FNA cares one bit what it costs the dealerships. I mean, when did that start?:D

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    That is total BS. We are skipping too but for other reasons.

On a side note, VIP tickets to the Villa d'Este Concourse for the private day on Saturday are 450 Euros. 190 Euros for VIP tickets for the public day at Villa Erba.