Demon | FerrariChat

Demon

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by wings, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Forget the new ZR1. The Dodge Demon is coming 800hp and AWD!!

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Won't be AWD, but will be a more powerful Hellcat motor in a RWD Challenger :)

I've already got a deposit on one ...

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own a Hellcat and love the car. I may be interested in the Demon so I stopped by the dealer where I bought the Hellcat. They had no information on the car. They had to look it up while I was there. They said the news release indicated it was available in 2018.

Best

Lee

4. This car explains why the 2017 Hellcat is being discounted. I thought it was going to be released in April or May?

5. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Ive tried to put a deposit on one as well, but my local dodge dealer doesn't wanna take a deposit. I think its cause they wanna keep their allocation and sell it for oversticker.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I would not say forget the ZR1. I would bet you it will out do whatever the Demon does stock vs stock. No changing tires or anything (compare stock hellcat vs stock Z06). Now if you just want to brag about horsepower knock yourself out.

7. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Any pictures of what this thing is supposed to look like? A quick Google didn't show much of anything.

8. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    Scares me somewhat, that ANY driver with NO driving experience with the necessary funds can purchase a "800 HORSEPOWER" car!!!

I think strongly that Dodge should offer FREE high performance driving lesson with ANY of their "High Horsepower" cars!

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think they should require the class

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    With AWD should be easier to drive than the Hellcat. But it's no different than any of the other fast cars, or bikes for that matter.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    no awd but i think it might have wide body kit that can fit wider rear tires.

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Those are definitely needed. Both the Mustang and Camaro have wider rear tires on cars with less power.

13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Challenger Sport in a year's time.

14. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Supposedly ~200 lbs lighter than an equivalent Hellcat, which still makes it a heavy car due to the basic platform. Light wheels and suspension components for sure though I haven't heard whether they'll be stripping out interior bits (eg rear seat).

Unless they can get more tire in the back, I'm not sure how Dodge will get the Demon to hook up while remaining a street car. I've a Shelby GT500 and the biggest issue is traction - and there are guys who will bump these cars to 750-800 hp with a simple pulley change, larger throttle body and a tune - something that can be done in a couple of hours - plus change rear end to 3.73 gears (from stock 3.31). I've no idea how they get the tires to hook up while still being streetable.

Really looking forward to when they finally release all the info and someone can do a proper review. Once the cars are released, we should start a pool on how long it takes for someone to hit a tree while exiting a Cars & Coffee event and the video is posted on YouTube.

15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    They are building it specifically to hook up and go fast in a straight line. I'm guessing solidly in the tens, bone stock.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    That's my (somewhat educated) guess as well :) Today's Hellcat is capable of low 11's with factory tires, and easily into the 10's with drag slicks.

If the new Demon has less weight (which it will, latest info is ~200lb reduction), better tires, suspension and leaned-on Hellcat motor ;) i think we can expect 10's right from the factory :)

I can hardly wait !!

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Has anyone read or know if the Demon will be offered with a manual trans? My 2016 Hellcat is manual and I would not trade it for an auto Demon - manual Demon perhaps - love the Hellcat BTW :)

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The dealer I bought my Vtper and my Hellcat said most likely it would come both manual and automatic. The automatic will be quicker as in the hellcat.

I think we are entering a new golden age of cars. The American cars are now equal or better than the European. Of course the Europeans make some wonderful cars we do not see in the States.

Of course the Japanese come along with the Acura SNX which is an awesome car. I love market place competition :)

Best

Lee

19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    The comparison to the vette is just stupid. In a straight line the Z06 with A8 is in the mid 10's on stock tires and low 10's with drag radials. However, unlike the dodge the vette stops and turns plus does straight line too. And the Tesla is in the mid 10's, the 911 and so on. I guess it is finally welcome to the club for a big size car. So the comparison to the supposed upcoming ZR1 was just that, stupid. That is the exception I took with the OP.

20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Would love 2wd. An optional stripped car would be kewl - no A.C. and Atari dash. Available 6spd manual !

21. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Interesting, the Hellcat is probably the one car I would get in an auto. Its not like its really a road circut car. Seems like an auto fits the classic american big power theme so well.

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Sean you make a good argument and I agree with you for several reasons.

For my Hellcat I chose a manual. Mostly cause I just like shifting. The manual in my Generation 5 Viper is a silky smooth dream and the Hellcat is at least as good.

It is getting harder to buy manual sports cars. My Ferrari 458 I just sold and my Lamborghini and Acura SNX I currently own to mention a few.

Most of my younger sports car friends do not even know how to use a three pedal car and why should they. The numbers favor the dual clutch automatics,

Best

Lee

24. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe so-but, the Hellcat engine is perhaps the toughest,most tested high horsepower unit on the planet. Read up on the torture/endurance testing of that Hemi and its hard not to be impressed. It will attack the drag strip ALL day log in any weather conditions without issue. The ZO6 is amazing, although I haven't seen any tests of it running mid 10s with either transmission. It also suffered from heat soak issues and is reportedly getting a redesign of the intercooler. The Tesla is a joke. Yeah, it will run one really quick time, but it's batteries overheat so quickly that it is unable to complete ONE lap under full power.
    The Hellcat, while no Corvette on track, is certainly competent enough on a road course and won't embarrass itself in the canyons either-although its a big car to hustle in the tight corners.

25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    #25 Eric R, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Go over to the C7Z section on the forum and look at the fast list. Plus we all know Chevy sandbags on their published numbers of 2.95sec to 60 and 10.95 in the quarter for the A8. We also know the A8 is the one with heat issues on a road course which have been addressed with a optional cooler from GM. The point of mentioning the other cars is that they will run or outrun the demon as is. As most love ultimate horsepower numbers I like Porsches approach best. Instead of just adding horsepower they evolve the whole package. For years they had under 500hp cars that were killing 600hp in 0-60, 1/4mi or lap times.

The part that I took exception to was the diss at the ZR1 that has not even been released. Expectations are 750hp at 3300lbs. Guarantee you that will kill a demo.

EDIT: Here is the link: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3702628-official-c7-z06-fast-list-provide-all-information-and-slips-video-15.html
    All entries required timeslips that were verified. Top of the list is an A8 all stock including tires with a time of 10.4sec at 134.27mph.

I found this for the Hellcat that was all stock: http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Challenger-Hellcat-Timeslip-27202.html
    Not even close. There is probably something out there that has better showing for ALL stock but I am not wasting my time to find it. Drag Times has a list and most were running drag radials, nitro, lower pulley, etc to get low 10's which obviously is not stock.