Ferrari fuse board covers | FerrariChat

Ferrari fuse board covers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TFPG96, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    #1 TFPG96, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #2 Simon1965, Feb 13, 2017
  3. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    This is a great resource.

Plates

4. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    #4 Lowell, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    No. What you have shown are the inner covers. They are covered by the outer cover
    shown in the post of Jordan B. If you look at the outer cover photo by Jordan B,
    will see two holes, one near the top where the cover is closed, the other near the bottom, with the holes centered
    in the middle side to side. The photo in Simon1965's post clearly shows a stud at the
    top between the inner covers; if you look carefully, you can also see a stud at the bottom. The outer cover
    is mounted by these studs with the upper stud going through hole near the covered top.

The outer cover should be painted a very fine wrinkle black. It is mounted to the studs by chrome plated
    somewhat large knurled nuts. These nuts sit on a rubber washers.

5. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #5 daytonaman, Feb 14, 2017
  6. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Lowell just looked at my 330 SII cover and it is indeed fine wrinkle

7. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    #7 TFPG96, Feb 14, 2017
  8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Correct on wrinkle black fastened with nuts shown in Jordan's post. I actually confirmed with Kerry a few years ago that the correct paint was wrinkle black. I was wondering because the paint looks smooth in the black & white picture of the fuse cover in the 330 owners manual. Of course those B&W owners manual photos don't show much detail and Kerry confirmed that he has never seen an original cover in anything but wrinkle black.

9. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    What cars were they fitted to and why does anyone know ? was it just decrative so you couldnt see the fuse board or was there a purpos and why not on all cars just a few ?

10. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #10 peterp, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    All of the 330GT's used them. I'm pretty sure the one you have shown is for Series 1 and early Series 2 cars (before they switched S2's from the 14 fuse panel to the 16 fuse panel). The reason they are there is to protect the fuse area. They probably aren't needed for normal driving conditions, but if you were to clean the engine, then the covers will keep water out. The inner fuse panels do cover the fuses a bit, but I don't think it would be a good idea to spray any water in the engine compartment without the outer cover in place.

11. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    But what about the rubber washers that go under the nuts?

12. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #12 daytonaman, Feb 15, 2017
    This is mine
    Chrome washers -- no idea if original but I can't imagine a previous owner would go to the trouble for such an unseen item
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #13 peterp, Feb 15, 2017
    The fuse panel is included in the body parts manual, rather than in the mechanical parts manual, so it seems like Pininfarina was responsible for the fusebox installation. The parts manual does not show any washers. I suspect that they just didn't include that detail because otherwise tightening a nut raw against any paint, and especially wrinkle paint, is not a great idea. The mechanical parts manual always shows details like washers, but the body parts manual I presume was done by Pininfarina and it is possible that manual has less detail than the Ferrari mechanical drawings. Of course, it is also possible the manual is correct as shown and there are no washers, but that seems unlikely.

Copyright Pininfarina, scan credit 330gt.com:

14. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    Thanks for the diagram Peter, if the were meant to be fitted to all of the cars why are most of them missing? And should they be fitted to any car that doesnt have them? Would it get raised at a concourse judging? Sorry for all the questions im just really passionate about fuse board covers :) !

15. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    if the were meant to be fitted to all of the cars why are most of them missing?
    Just like the belly pan, it is in the way, so some mechanic along the way forgot (on purpose?) to put it back on.

And should they be fitted to any car that doesn't have them?
    As mentioned before, little chance of a problem in ordinary driving, but if cleaning the engine, it would keep water off the fuse board.

Would it get raised at a concourse judging?
    Yes it should.

BTW, I use rubber washers under the knurled nuts to prevent them from working loose and getting lost. I also use rubber washers under the air cleaner top nuts for the same reason.

Regards, Kerry

PS, The early 330 GTs had a pressed version with curved corners. The later cars had simpler ones that were made by folding the edges at 90 degrees. My car was one of those missing that cover when I bought it. See Fuse Panel Cover for the one I made.

16. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    250's also had a similar aluminum cover over the fuse/relay board, using the same chrome knurled nuts to hold it on.

17. Pablomedina

Pablomedina Rookie

Jul 30, 2020
    Marbella
    Full Name:
    Pablo Medina
    #17 Pablomedina, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
    Can anybody PLEASE send me details of the cover used on a 250 GT? I’ve been searching for one for years with no success!! I would be most thankful if any of you would send the outer dimensions and details so I can have it made. thanks very much

Image Unavailable, Please Login Just to make sure we are talking about the same part, here goes a photo

18. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    still have a spare on I made if anyone needs

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Are the nuts available anywhere?

20. Pmo75

Pmo75 Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Hello, I am interested.
    Will it fit my S II?

21. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    No SII is folded.
    Kerry Chesbro has the pattern I think on PDF file

22. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    PM sent

23. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Jordan , I think a lot are missing as when you check a fuse you have to take the battery out to get the cover off.
    Then of coarse you get the battery back in and all hooked up and DAMN cant get the cover on now so it gets left on the shelf

24. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    PS, The early 330 GTs had a pressed version with curved corners. The later cars had simpler ones that were made by folding the edges at 90 degrees. My car was one of those missing that cover when I bought it. See Fuse Panel Cover for the one I made.[/QUOTE]
    Kerry the 'Fuse Panel Cover' link doesn't work. I too need to make a new one if you can help.
    Thanks
    Howard

25. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    Kerry the 'Fuse Panel Cover' link doesn't work. I too need to make a new one if you can help.
    Thanks
    Howard[/QUOTE]
    Here's an updated link:
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/330gt/FusePanelCover.htm