Ferrari Testarossa - Value / trends and driving impressions | FerrariChat

Ferrari Testarossa - Value / trends and driving impressions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James in Denver, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Posted today on YouTube from an FChatter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jB4vYji6A

I vaguely remember Doug from Colorado, now he's out there a lot with car videos.

That said, look at the "smiles per mile" factor. When he "reviews" a Ferrari, he's still all smiles.

James in Denver

2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Just watched this, surprised he didn't bash on it for the running costs like he did in an article about the F355. Overall I enjoyed the video and I'm glad he focused on what makes these things so special!

3. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Who's car was that? The exhaust is sweet! I want to know the setup.

That clip put a smile on my face. He really enjoyed the car. It was great to see a classic car get that emotion out of him.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Typical millennial...

Doug would be better off in a Camry.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

5. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    Looked like Haig's TR, was it?

Maybe I'm outta touch but feels like TR values plateaued in the past 18 months or so. Was odd to hear Doug state the opposite.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D !

7. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I posted the link in another thread but that's my car. It has the Capistro exhaust with hyperflow cats on it. I'm glad people liked the video, he had a lot of fun with it.

8. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Doug is great fun. I really enjoy his review, because he's intelligent and witty and kind of gets it. He had a Modena back some years ago and I started watching him then. He's gone through a few cars since then and did a comparison earlier this month of the 512TR and a 993TT and was enamored of the 512TR. This video is a result of his experience with the 512. Here's the earlier comparison video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaJJ31xUO1Y&t=494s

G

9. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #9 dradambbb, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I can't believe all the complaining about the clutch and steering? Was this guy born yesterday? My 5'3" daughter trove my TR and didn't complain.

11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Since the people watching aren't driving it he has to overact to get the point across. Or we all just are super strong.

12. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've never thought of the clutch being hard at all. Parallel parking i'll give him! But to me he got it...people often ask me how fast is it or how fast is it 0-60 and for a 30 year old car it is certainly very respectable but that really isn't the point now. If you want a fast car buy something new if you want something that you can't stop grinning while driving then it is hard to beat a TR

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Imagine....
    denegrating the car because the TWO ashtrays are lighted.

Then he goes on about how the car is slow.

Wikipedia:
    "With the debut of Testarossa in 1984, the evolution of the flat-12 engine saw it equipped with four valves per cylinder: with 390 PS (287 kW; 385 hp) it was the most powerful engine mounted on a production sports car at the time of its launch."

By comparison, America's 'flagship' corvette put out 205 HP in 1984 - roughly HALF.

Well, Doug, at least the vette only had one ashtray.

Typical millennial - spoiled and without perspective. God help America.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    With a non stock exhaust, at 3000 rpm the sound is one you never need to hear a radio.

15. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Exactly. Seems like an affable enough dude but he's certainly not much of a car guy, at least by grownup standards.

Apparently he's never seen mouse belts before, even though they were rather common for a couple of years. His pointing out the seat switches as odd indicates he hasn't been in many old 911s (especially not one with the seats that had both manual & electric controls). Lighted ash trays are novel to him, but AFAIK most cars of that era had them. And he's also apparently unfamiliar with map lights (which he mistakes for the dome light). I can understand those items might be unfamiliar to someone of his age, but one would think that a car guy would recognize them (even if he did point them out as features from an earlier era).

He makes a big deal about the side strakes, the "hole on the door look" (something I'm just not seeing), and the width of the rear of the car without ever explaining the reasoning behind the design feature. Either he's targeting his reviews at non-car people (not sure why they'd be watching videos of early '90s Ferraris though) or he's ignoring important information in an effort to play up "quirkiness", which is a disservice to viewers of his age who truly want to learn more about the model.

Finally, he made a couple of comments about the size of the car, at one point calling it "huge". To be fair, I used to think the same thing when comparing the BB and TR to the V8 models. But by today's standards it's a long way from "huge". Geeze, has he looked at a Camaro or a Mustang lately?

All in all he comes across more like a nerdy-but-nice kid from the AV club than a true car reviewer. His videos might offer a tiny bit of insight to uninitiated millennials but they don't really abound with useful information so I'm struggling to understand his target audience.

16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    He definitely exaggerates certain things. I think his channel is for a mix of enthusiasts and young boys who watch and get off on his reactions.

Regarding 911 controls, my 993 was pretty standard but my dad's 87 911 has some weird heater switches in-between the seats. Like that old school German stuff from the 60s and 70s. I never really bothered learning how they work.

17. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    His explaining the quirks made me chuckle. But I watched it with a sense of humor as he was clearly trying to add some and this wasn't exactly a Motor Week review. Lighten up on the guy.

18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Argento metallic?

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    yeah....

we need to be "walking on eggshells".

wouldn't want to hurt Doug's sensitive nature.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exbMIGWWpgg[/ame]

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #20 vincenzo, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Some of the air cooled 911s (can't remember which ones, but IIRC in the SC and/or Carrera 3.2 era) had a mixture of manual seat controls and electric buttons on the sides of the seats. Seems like you used a lever under the front of the seat for the fore/aft adjustment and push buttons for other adjustments. It was definitely as Byzantine as the TR seat adjustments but back then only MB really had the seat adjustment control thing figured out. He makes a much bigger deal about this sort of thing being unique to Italian cars than he would if he had a wider range of experience with sports cars.

22. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sounds great! Thanks for letting him drive your car. He definitely had nothing but love for it.

23. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Doug's "demographic" are younger people who are not familiar with older sports cars or with higher end current sports cars. There are an awful lot of "reviewers" these days on YouTube and so many of them have their baseball caps on sideways and their pants down around their knees and some tatoos on the necks. I'm amazed at anybody giving them Lambos and Ferraris, but they do. Doug injects a lot of humor into his videos. We shouldn't get defensive when he notes that the side strakes look weird when the doors are open. No other car ever made had that, so it's really not odd that he notes it. And, you have to love his describing the controls as a whack-a-mole setup. You have to remember that he's in love with the Testarossa despite all the things that are unusual to younger people brought up on computerized nanny-state cars. His conclusion that there should be other measures for describing how good sports cars are other than speed is really insightful for a young guy... Even for some older guys I know.

G

24. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Doug is very down to earth. If he didn't talk about some of the quirks then he would just be another reviewer. He does some wacky things with his cars. He seemed like a fun guy so I reached out to him for the video. He is a car guy, he has had a CTS v wagon, AMG wagon, Ferrari 360, Aston vantage, hummer h1, Nissan skyline, a viper, and some other things. He loves cars and loves reviewing them. Anyone can record a video of themselves spouting off the specs and how fast a car is, but that would be boring.

25. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I was surprised to see the owner of the grey TR he was reviewing didn't spring for a new cigarette lighter!