vanquish owners? | Page 32 | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Please keep the Porsches out of the Vanquish thread.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

2. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Agreed that the runaway IMS issue is significantly overblown and mathematically likely affects less than 15% of the cars, but has melted its way into the psyche of the general public as 'normal'.

Hoping you mean the market 'at large' on the bullsh*t comment and not me. I'm a multi Porsche owner, fan, ardent follower. Yet if you have something to say to me personally, PM me and we'll handle it.

Yes, this is indeed a Vanquish topic, but the occasional comparison comes up. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

3. Lamborgotti_Fasterossa

Jan 5, 2017
    Europe
    Indeed, I meant to say 'water cooled'. My mistake :)

I have an aircooled 993. 100.000 miles, and built like a tank !

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I've fitted plenty of those kits without issue. I'd be interested to know who you spoke to at Heritage about any prospective issues, I'm down there at least twice a week so it'd be good to know if there are potential problems. I tried a couple of alternatives on our own car, including the anti rattle plates and blocks used in porsche calipers as well as the double-sided adhesive coated anti-rattle shims. Nothing seems to work as well as the Aston supplied kit.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Whether you know it or not, this thread is likely the best source of info on the Vanquish anywhere. I've followed it since the beginning and find it fascinating. You guys really know your stuff!

I don't normally post on here, but since I used this thread as source material for my article on the Vanquish in the virtualdriver.com I'll provide a link. Feel free to take it down if its not appropriate.

I write a feature called The Virtual Collection that is a virtual museum of cars I'd own if I could. It comes out bi-weekly, and the Virtual Collection tab at the top has links to previous stories.

Thanks for sharing. You can find the article at:The Virtual Driver - News, Reviews, Analysis - Virtual Collection - Stalking the Vanquished

markboj likes this.
  6. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    There's good info here, but not anywhere close to what you'll find in the Vanquish section of the AMOC forum. THAT'S the source for everything Vanquish, not here.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #782 WILLIAM H, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure comments about it not being effective or problematic are BS. It was a factory bulletin and precribed fix. There is always a lot of unsubstantiated urban legend stuff regarding Vanqs and it just makes my eyes roll.

Logically most people that fixed the problem have probably logged less than a few thousand miles on their cars since these are not daily drivers, which means not enough miles for problem trend data post fix to manifest.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    A fix is not golden just because the factory pushed it out. How many fixes car rmakers did botch?
    The info I got which disuaded me to do the fix was from an Aston heritage mechanic who could have made money selling it to me. If I were to hear it from a Ferrari owner, it is one thing but from an official tech who has installed many, it is another. This is not alternative facts but since I did not install it, as Lazarus said, may be I shall see it to beleive.
    He mentioned the original issue is only an annoyance mot a technical issue.

10. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi all. I need some advice. Just bought a 2003. Started up just on first daybut this morning wont start. Went through start procedure several times but nothing happens except a click when I push the starter button. I charged the battery and still nothing. All electrical equipment seems to be working. Is it a fuse? Starter? Thanks in advance.

11. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Best case is that the battery is dead. VQ dont like so so batteries that would still start another car. It has to be perfect. So check when the battery was replaced and change it. Get a good one like interstate. You could also have a fuse issue.
    Could be starter but first things first.
    Now there is a price for these advices. Basically we want pictures for that and a little story!.. We are sucker for that stuff. Lust by proxy..

12. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
  13. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #788 Jetpepper, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Go to AMOC for Vanquish help.

15. Norman75

Norman75 Rookie

Oct 18, 2014
    Magnificent car! Congrats!

16. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Looks like the car that was for sale at Marshall Goldman. Beautiful color. Congrats.

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #792 Countachqv, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Very nice. Did you get the history trail on it? The guys said the car was serviced. BTW, this car still has the original gear sensor not the mag one.

FUSE on non S : F20 25A strater solenoid
    but really 70% of the time it is the weak battery. Put it under load outside the car to test it after you make sure the fuse is good. It is the only way to know.

and if you are not familiar with the Vanquish, make sure you get the appropriate trickler. the car should have come with one. ALWAYS use it. the VQ is a battery serial killer without it

EDIT: i forgot, do you hear the pump priming when opening the driver door ? (whining for 10secs) If not check F5 10Amps as well.

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

did this car just come from marshall goldman? if so, you barely beat me to it!! congrats.

19. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Congratulations for that beautiful Vanquish, it looks stunning !!!

20. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. It is the car from Marshall Goldman. I've been looking for the color for a while and couldn't pass it up. It is gorgeous. The pump prime does work after opening the door. I'll check the fuse and then check the battery. The trickier that came with the car isn't working. Can they be fixed. I know some of these cars are vampires on the battery if not driven regularly.

21. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Jim, If the pump works then battery is probably weak and needs replacement. first you will need to connect a backup charger via the cigar lighter or a trickler that can keep the computer info so you dont lose that when removing the battery. I have a special tender Cteck for that or you may get a $5 cigar plug with a little battery (see AMOC) .If not you will need to reprogram all settings if you know how to do that.
    for the trickler, you could buy one from Aston at an exorbitant price and that will fry early (they all seem to fry after a while) or get the same unbranded one at normal prices but watch what you get. On AMOC there has been reports of issue with some.
    The best one for the VQ is the CTEck. The one that is simple and just look like the OEM one. (dont recall the reference from the top of my head)
    Finally, get the battery out and put it under load. Also look at the date. Ask the seller if he knows when the battery was changed. Could be warrantied.

22. Jetpepper

Jetpepper Rookie

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I found that the starter solenoid fuse did blow. I put in a new one and that one blew also. I think I have a starter that froze up when the car was pulled off the truck. The driver unfortunately gunned the car engine in reverse right after starting it up. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement starter?

23. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    You REALLY need to post on AMOC NP Vanquish forum for tech help, not here. Save yourself a world of grief.

24. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    And please check your incoming messages. ;-)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

25. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #800 Countachqv, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    I would double down on the AMOC link as now you start getting in the more involved issues. seem to me a starter is in your future. If you are good a mechanics, i believe a ford starter will do but check AMOC about starter a guy named Joey in NY has done work in that area.
    However, when it comns to VQs, I would not do any repairs outside a dealership, and an heritage dearlership is best for the VQs, especially for transmission issues.

As i said, check the car's history. Starter issues can be painful on a VQ that has not been regularily maintained. It could be anything down to the wire harness that is know to "cook" after awhile. A friend just had his changed along other things like fixing the legendary oil seeps. A harness is an engine out. Dont want to scare you but dont want to hide some facts either. Only someone who really knows VQ and can check its repair history via the AM dealership netowrk can tell you.
    They are great cars but the early model can be capricious.

EDIT:

also why did he do this?
    "The driver unfortunately gunned the car engine in reverse right after starting it up. "
    This happens when the clutch does not grab evenly or feels "soft".
    My car was initially like that. After a trani removal and work on the flywheel, the clutch engages very nicely and progressively.
    Or he was just another wannabe redneck with someone else car.