Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 61 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Nick,

while I haven't driven a manual geared QP3, the sheer weight of the car combined with the low end torque of the V8 would lead me to believe that the automatic tranny might not be such a bad match for it.

I'd like to hear what you find out though, it's always interesting to learn more and see new alternatives.

I wonder if anyone who's driven both could comment.

2. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    A couple of new questions-

Has anyone rebuilt a Benditalia brake booster from a Quattroporte III (or does anyone know a dependable re-build service on the east coast/ mid-atlantic region)?

How did you set your idle speed screws?

My idle, power brakes and interior vent controls have all become a little erratic & slow lately so I suspect a leak in the booster. But my idle speed screws are way out of spec if I'm reading page 3-8 of the service book correctly:

IDLING MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT AND CARBURETTOR SYNCHRONIZATION
    step 6) - "Lock completely idling screws B & C (shown as speed screws in photo) without forcing them and unlock them 1 1/2 turn."

I followed this instruction but the throttle plates are open so much I can fit a screwdriver behind them. That seems..... incorrect. If you can help, please give a shout. Thanks everyone!

3. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Nick,

I have a spare ZF S5-18/3 if it will suit your gearbox ambitions. I don't know if it's correct for the Quattroporte but manually-shifted QPs had a dogleg on 1st gear.

4. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi Mike,

can't help you with the brake booster, sorry.

As far as the carbs, I'm getting to the point where I can do them blindfolded, lol.

If we're talking about the idle speed, the actual idle speed, there should only be one screw in use, the others are backed off so that they do not interfere.

Each carb throttle arm is connected to the linkage with a pair of nuts to allow adjustment. When you set airflow between each carb, you adjust each one on the linkage to flow the same amount as the second one from the firewall, which is the "reference" carb. Settings here determine settings on all other carbs.

You'll note that each carb has it's own idle speed adjuster, but because they are all connected together as a unit via the linkage, only *one* adjuster should actually be in use, and that is the one on carb number two from the firewall (the reference carb mentioned above). Back out all the other screws so that they do not touch at any throttle setting.

That way you adjust the overall idle speed with one screw and one screw only, as each of the carbs have already been set to flow identically. (and also set to have optimal idle mixture settings to provide ideal combustion, but that is a separate, although related topic).

1.5 turns out from contact is your starting point. Set it so that your tach (or an strobe) shows 900rpm at idle as per the manual. It might be a half a turn in either direction from there, but shouldn't be any more than that.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes, and post a pic or two of your car!

If you need help syncing airflow or setting ideal idle mixture settings, let me know.

5. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    Thanks for the offer, but i think without a specific ZF bell housing, I might be up the creek without a paddle.

N

6. carnutdr

carnutdr Rookie

Jul 8, 2007
    Cameron, NC 28326
    Full Name:
    Morton Meltzer
    Have both and have not noticed much of a difference.

7. carnutdr

carnutdr Rookie

Jul 8, 2007
    Cameron, NC 28326
    Full Name:
    Morton Meltzer
    Brake booster done in Portland Oregon as is same as Ferrari 308 and used to charge around $!50.00. This was a few years ago. I believe I found him in Hemming for Ferrari.

8. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Thank you everyone. I forgot about Dewey in Oregon; $155 seems very reasonable.

Still tackling the idle speed issue but I noticed that the springs on my speed screws were missing. Time to wait for the mail!

Also does anyone have a coachwork book? This car is in desperate need of some body & interior tlc but I would just like to have the diagrams on hand.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have some problems here now... The QP has been standing still for a long time in the warehouse, and now have some electrical gremlins... The fuel pump comes on when the low beam lights are switched on. The cooling fans only comes on when the HVAC button "Max AC" or "AC" is depressed. The instruments does not work properly. The rev counter comes if the engines is revved.. The instruments (most of them) comes on when the AC button is depressed... The thermoswotch for the cooling fans is only one year old and worked perfectly before, so that is likely not out of function. The engine does not run smooth (especially when the AC/fans are on). I suggest maybe a voltage drop to the ignition bow. The turn signals flash, but the bulbs barely glare.... The starter motor however spins fast however..

What should I look for...? And where? I assume there might be a grounding point that's weak. But no real clue.

10. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I'm wondering if anyone has attempted a MoPar manual shift bell housing to mate to the QP III V8? This would hopefully allow for a modern Tremec manual transmission?
    Seems like it should be a bolt up?
    RF.

11. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I have a hood for sale. It's in good condition, is located in Woodside, just 25 miles south of San Francisco, CA, and is only $100.

Try me off list at [email protected] if you want it.

Thanks, RF.

12. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    AFAICR when I rebuilt my transmission I checked into a lot of these alternative options. Unless I'm completely mistaken, Maserati made their own custom bell housing, and I believe we also did a photo comparison and found that the back of the block is different between the manual and automatic cars. Seemed implausible at the time, until the pics came up.

I think it's probably in this thread, somewhere close to the start, as that was pretty much the first thing I did when I got the car.

13. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Does anyone visit Lime Rock regularly? During my last trip I passed a shop on Rt. 7 with two Quattroportes out front, both basket cases but with salvageable parts. The shop looked very out of business. One car was green, one was red.

14. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    Do you have any other pictures of the 727 transmission, in addition to the shot on page 5 of this thread? finding a manual bellhousing that will fit the engine is not difficult, but Maserati "modified" the 727 transmission bellhousing to accommodate starter being on the other side. I spoke with a guy that has converted MOPARS in the past, and he said I was crazy. Like a fox. I'd like to send a picture of my madness.

N

15. capcgn

capcgn Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Germany
    #1515 capcgn, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    very, very nice !!!!

Mike

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congrats. Your Maserati looks like new!! More pictures please!

18. ciscoauto

ciscoauto Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Germany, Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Francois
    The car is for sale in Germany, it looks fantastic in photos and in such a great shape !
    And a manual gearbox, that's awesome !

Kudos for taking good photos of the car ! It's the first time I see really good pictures of a QP3. So many times it's hard to see the beauty of this car in photos, but here you see it's pyramidal Roof, the low line, and so on. Great Job by yourself or your photograph !

The photos are here
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AC32B1KUO85pcAI&id=8E2F8470D0A0B4F0%219675&cid=8E2F8470D0A0B4F0

And you can find the ad in european Website like autoscout or mobile.

19. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    It is truly beautiful !!

Mike

20. EUTR1988

EUTR1988 Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Stillwater, MN
    Full Name:
    Justin Schmitz
    I have just purchased a 1980 QPIII and have been busy attending to it's issues. Up until now I have been able to fix things with the help of the manual as well as some assistance from MIE.

However, I now need to replace the front brake pads, as they are original and very noisy. All I get from MIE is that only semi metallic are available.

I assume these calipers come from something else and are not bespoke. Can anyone tell me what vehicle these calipers are from? I would like to get a set of ceramic pads to cut down on the obscene amount of brake dust accumulating on the wheels.

Additional question: Where can I get a drop in replacement fan for the radiator? One of my originals went kaput.

Many thanks

21. EUTR1988

EUTR1988 Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Stillwater, MN
    Full Name:
    Justin Schmitz
    The mirrors on the QP3 - Does anyone still have the Tornado decals on theirs? Mine art there and perfect, given the car is a very low mileage one owner I assume they are correct. Can anyone verify this?

22. EUTR1988

EUTR1988 Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Stillwater, MN
    Full Name:
    Justin Schmitz
    Just sent the pads out to relined, will advise how well that goes.

I thought the pads may be from the Pantera or the Lamborghini 350GT but that does not appear to be the case exactly.

Without option this appears to be the only course for us QP3 owners who dislike brake dust.

23. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Looking very sharp!

Does anyone have an overview or even impression of the current market? Have any QP3s sold recently, and for how much?

I recall that the foam green King of Morocco car was auctioned off a year or two ago, but don't recall the price.

I know that the QP3 hasn't seen the fantastic appreciation of the older models, but wonder if it hasn't crept up in value all the same.

24. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    Here's some recent auction numbers:

BONHAMS: LES GRANDES MARQUES DU MONDE AU GRAND PALAIS
    9 Feb 2017
    Paris, The Grand Palais
    Lot 351
    MASERATI QUATTROPORTE III 4.9 LITRES BERLINE 1984
    Sold for €17,250 inc.premium,(US$ 18,419.)

RUSSO AND STEELE: SCOTTSDALE 2017
    19-22 January 2017
    1985 Maserati Quadraporte Sedan
    Consignment # 8311 Sold For: $12,650.

MECUM: ANAHEIM 2016
    17-19 November 2016
    LOT T12 1982 MASERATI QUATTROPORTE
    Sold for US $3000.

BONHAMS: GREENWICH CONCOURS D'ELEGANCE AUCTION
    5 Jun 2016
    Greenwich,CT USA
    Lot 23
    1982 MASERATI QUATTROPORTE III SEDAN
    Sold for US$ 33,000. inc.premium

RM SOTHEBYS: MONACO
    14 May 2016
    Lot 119
    1979 Maserati Quattroporte III, 5 speed
    Chassis no. AM330/49 0270
    Engine no. 8050
    Sold for €14.000

BONHAMS: LES GRANDES MARQUES DU MONDE AU GRAND PALAIS
    4 Feb 2016
    Paris, The Grand Palais
    Lot 348
    MASERATI QUATTROPORTE III 4,9 LITRES BERLINE 1984
    Sold for €32,200 inc.premium,(US$ 34,383)

BONHAMS: THE SCOTTSDALE AUCTION
    28 Jan 2016
    Scottsdale, The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
    Lot 101
    Painted by Junior Conway's House of Colors
    1986 MASERATI QUATTROPORTE III
    Sold for US$ 39,600 inc.premium

There have been some nice prices achieved at Bonhams auctions. I believe they do the best job photographing and presenting these cars.

25. aerokurt

aerokurt Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    SW Fla & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Quote -
    I have some problems here now... The QP has been standing still for a long time in the warehouse, and now have some electrical gremlins... The fuel pump comes on when the low beam lights are switched on. The cooling fans only comes on when the HVAC button "Max AC" or "AC" is depressed. The instruments does not work properly. The rev counter comes if the engines is revved.. The instruments (most of them) comes on when the AC button is depressed... The thermoswotch for the cooling fans is only one year old and worked perfectly before, so that is likely not out of function. The engine does not run smooth (especially when the AC/fans are on). I suggest maybe a voltage drop to the ignition bow. The turn signals flash, but the bulbs barely glare.... The starter motor however spins fast however..

What should I look for...? And where? I assume there might be a grounding point that's weak. But no real clue.

Mice!!!!
    Don't underestimate them.
    Ask me how I know!

Cheers, Kurt