1977 400GT 23143 | FerrariChat

1977 400GT 23143

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Tojo, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi gang, I'm just getting into the guts of the resto on this car which is going throw up many challenges, but should be mostly fun and interesting.

I've bought the car already mostly disassembled, so unfortunately, I don't know how, some things go together. This means I'll have to hit up the community every now and then for advice. I've worked out a bit from looking at a couple of other cars, and the manuals but some things are still not so clear.

My first major question is does anybody have, or can point me to the right forum thread or pics of cars with the dash out showing where the wiring harness runs? This car has had its harness removed. I have been supplied with a harness in one piece removed from a wrecked car, and I'm about to start fitting it up.

Thanks in advance. Please feel free to ask questions about this project, and hit me up for pics of what may help your car while I have a chassis that is mostly stripped bare.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    post pics!

3. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I tried to the other day, but technology didn't agree with me... I'll have another go tonight, after I've finished doing some work on said project!

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tim,

Welcome to our little corner of Fchat!

The interior of my 365 is completely removed (except for the headliner) and so I can provide the pics you need... at least for a 365 which should be similar or the same as on a 400. However I do not have my car right now, but I will have in a few days. Once I get it back I will take some specific pictures for you.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That would be sensational Sam. Thanks heaps

6. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day Tim.

Your car is a carby GT?
    If so are you sure you have a harness out of one of those or out of a 400i?

7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Mine is a carby GT. The harness has come out of an injected car. There will be a few extra wires and mods to do I'm sure

8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Tim - Please keep us updated on this with lots of photos :)

9. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
  10. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Looks like Blu Scuro or Pozzi?

11. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The information I have from the local ferrari dealership says it was originally Blue Ribot. I'm not sure if this paint is Ribot or not. I've seen pics of cars that are a lighter shade, and pics in this shade that say Ribot. I'm still trying to piece little bits of it's history together.

12. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Tim
    I hope the harness you have is from an early "Series I" 400i; thee could be a lot of differences if it is a Series II. The dashes are completely different.
    Ken

13. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the heads up Ken. The guy who pulled it out for me at GT carparts is very knowledgeable regarding xlasic Ferrari's. I'm sure he realised that, but I will double check with him

14. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #14 Tojo, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I started fitting up the wiring yesterday, there's a few days of screwing around with it ahead of me.... I found out it's from a series 1 400i, so hopefully not too many mods to make. Working out the way it runs from the relays and around the fuse blocks is a bit frustrating. The fuse block mounting screws were fully corroded into the nuts on the brackets and all sheared off on me as well. This job is nothing if not a challenge!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    and I thought I had a headache getting my turn signals to work!

The best of luck with that.

16. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I've made linguine that looks as good as that!!!

Good luck!

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #17 samsaprunoff, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Tim,

Here are your pics... From the left side to the right side

Cheers,

Sam

18. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's really, really, helpful Sam. Thanks very much for posting those

19. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Tim
    Good it is a Series 1 harness and second the harness looks in good condition.

Sam's pics should help a lot with the routing. I suggest you get the ups, overs and thrus done before you start plugging in too much.

It finally hit me what this reminds me about in my past. I bought a 'basket case' '69 Lotus Elan +2. I took 8 years to get it on the road and 2 more yers to sort out what I didn't get right first time. When I got the car I found the wiring harness cut through all the wires just about even with the driver's seat. Having owned two previous Lotus, I knew the original wiring and fuses were terrible and splicing an old harness was not the answers. So I wired the whole ar from scratch and only using the wiring diagram as a guide. I used heavier wire and 4 times as many fuses (modern ones). That car has been on the BAT web site a twice. Lucky you do not have to do that with a 400!!!
    Ken

20. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Tim.

It looks like you are in Sydney, but car is LHD.

I have a 400GT (RHD) in Melbourne, and about to start work on finishing it. Stay in touch,

Cheers
    Scott

21. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi Scott, that's correct, I'm in Sydney with a LHD car. Next time I'm in Melb, I'll try to remember to pm you, I might learn something useful from your project! Likewise if you're up here, feel free to look me up.

22. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Lot's of wiring experience for you there Ken! Yes the harness is in good condition, I hopefully will not have to make up too many wires, and only a couple of random wires are missing connectors. Sam's photos are very helpful, though I'm still trying to work out the exact routing from the relay board to the fuse blocks. The rest of the routing has gone alright so far. The only mods I'm thinking about are a battery disconnect, and upgrading all my lights to LED's and HID's.

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tim,

If you need more pictures let me know which areas you require greater detail. My car is still quite in pieces and so it is rather easy for me to take these kinds of pictures. Also, if you send me your direct e-mail I can send you high res pictures that will provide even more detail. F-chat attached pictures are automatically scaled smaller to reduce bandwidth/storage usage.

Also, please post up your LED upgrade results when they are available. I, too, will be going this route along with some other odds and ends that I think are necessary. Sadly, after reviewing (i.e. I take them apart to analyze how they are made) numerous LED bulbs from various suppliers, I have not found a manufacturer/supplier that I think has an adequate design. I say this, as I design and manufacture commercial/industry LED lighting systems/fixtures and so I tend to be somewhat "particular" with how these devices should be designed.

Cheers,

Sam

24. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi people, I have some questions regarding originality, and making sure of what are the right parts I should order from Superformance, and other vendors that may stock the myriad of parts I don't have. Thanks in advance for any forthcoming answers.

Firstly, I want to ceramic coat the header pipes, but I'm unsure what colour to coat them. Black like the rest of the Ansa exhaust I have, the silver/chrome style finish, or different again?

Secondly, is the dash on a 400 GT covered in mouse hair or leather? Did the mouse hair finish when the 365 finished, or when the carburettor cars finished?

I noticed on the superformance website that 400 engine mounts come in 106mm and 86mm, how would I determine which is the correct mount? Engine (General) Parts for Ferrari 250, 275, 330, 365, 400 & 412 - Superformance

Also saw on the superformance website that they sell a headlight motor rubber boot. Can I rightly assume that this is for the later 400's, as the headlight lifters I have are bare metal?

As far as door mirrors go, reading other threads here tells me that I should order the Viteloni California mirrors, the larger squarer style?

Lastly (for this post!) on this superformance page Body Fittings for Ferrari 250, 275, 330, 365, 400 & 412 - Superformance they show 2 washer fluid bags which is the right one for the 400 GT

25. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Tim,

I don't have all Your answers but can maybe help with some comparing to my -78 400GT.

- Weren't the headers white or light colored coated from new ?
    - I have never seen a 400GT with mousehair dash.
    - Vitaloni Tornado mirrors
    - Washer is the blue larger variant with side filling and hose.

A