Rolex Sea Dweller Issue | FerrariChat

Rolex Sea Dweller Issue

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by FiveLiterEater96, Mar 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    So my Rolex SD stopped the other day from lack of wear and when I went to set the time/date I noticed that when unscrewing the crown it wasn't really detaching from the movement, if that makes any sense. Basically, I can pull it out, wind it up but as I screw the crown back down its changing the time/date. This is a new phenomenon and its making me crazy. I originally thought that it may be because it was 12 hours off but that doesn't seem to be the case. The entire time I turn the crown I can tell that its winding the watch.

Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions or is it time to send it in?

Thanks in advance!

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Which model number Sea Dweller is it? How old is the watch and if an older SD when was it last serviced? Please post some pictures.

3. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #3 FiveLiterEater96, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Circa 1992. I picked it up second hand so I can only assume its due for service.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Get it serviced by Rolex. Personally, I wouldn't use anyone else.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let's clarify your symptoms

You have 3 detents:

Position 1 when you unscrew the crown - manual winding
    Position 2 when you slightly pull out the crown - quickset date
    Position 3 when you pull the crown out all the way - time setting

You said you pull the crown out for winding? You should be able to wind by just unscrewing the crown - it's spring loaded and pops out on it's own.

It's possible that the crown is bad, it has a spring and a clutch action when unscrewed / screwed into the case.
    It's also possible that there is something wrong with the keyless works, that's unusual for a 3135 movement as they keyless is a pretty robust design.

You may or may not want to use Rolex for the repair. If you want someone local AWCI is a good place to start: https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWCISearch/MemberSearch.aspx
    Rolex does not have a service center in IL as far as I know, so you would have to contact an AD https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/services-locator/

6. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Case tube might be kaput? That is the part the crown screws onto.

7. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Correct. Let me clarify, previously it had all three positions. Now, it literally unscrews through all three positions without ever 'clicking' out. So basically as I'm screwing the crown down it's changing the time/date.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    When you say changing time / date, you mean changing time, but every 24 hours it changes date? You don't mean the quickset date is changing, correct?

If it's keyless, I don't think most watchmakers will touch it without a full service (which it may need.) Have someone check the crown first, that's an easy repair and the movement stays in the case. If it stays in time setting position, that sounds more like a keyless issue though.

9. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The quickset date does change as it 'screws' past that position.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For clarification's sake:
    The date changes when the hands rotate 24 hours.
    A quickset date changes with the rotation of the crown, the hands do not rotate when using the quickset date function.

Impossible to reliably diagnose over the internet, and should be easily diagnosed in a few seconds by someone qualified.

11. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know, it's bizarre. I'm going to have my local guy take a look at it this week but in the end will likely send it out. I'm sure it's do for service and I could use the peace of mind.

12. Adrenalista

Adrenalista Rookie

Mar 19, 2017
    Chicagoland
    CD Peacock in Oak Brook IL has an excellent watch servicing technician. The guy is a 2nd or 3rd generation watch craftsman. Lots of attention to detail and almost always at the store no matter when you walk in. Rolex certified but you don't have to send it away, stays in house.

13. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the tip!

14. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    The new ones are 43mm and are "red".

15. FiveLiterEater96

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    But that cyclops! Thats seriously the main reason I opted for the SD over the sub. I hate the cyclops.

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    They can be removed.