Classics On The Green 2017 | FerrariChat

Classics On The Green 2017

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 360gtracer, Feb 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Greetings all!

Without giving away too much of this year's Classics On The Green featured class (because it's still mostly up in the air), I'm wondering if either of the following cars might be around and able to be in the show (even if only recreations):

250 LWB "California Spider" (a la Ferris Bueller)
    late 50's vintage TR

Possible or hoping for too much??

Thanks!

George P.

2. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Did you ask on the vintage thread?

3. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I did not, but that's a good point. The reason I did not is because I was hoping to find something local to Central VA for the show.

But the reason behind the request may be a moot point now, so I'll have to revisit and decide on course of action.

Thanks.

gp

4. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Please keep us posted on what the featured classes are when you can announce.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    With entrants now from Jaguar, Maserati, soon Lamborghini, I wonder when great car shows like this will finally have an SUV class. I've been sans Ferrari for a few years now but would love to hit shows with my '06 Cayenne Turbo S. Going to suggest again to Supercars on State Street, too. I may be back in a Ferrari soon, but SUV's have their exotics now so why not?

6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It's called the parking lot.

bighitter2 likes this.
  7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    You have a special SUV, for sure.

I could see a section at a car show of special ones.
    For example, a few SUVs including Lamborghini LM002, MB G-wagens, the new Bentley Bentayga, the new Maserati Levante, Porsche Turbo Cayennes and Macans, Range Rovers, the Jerrari, etc.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    7:59 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51 J
    7:59 Cadillac CTS-V (2009)
    7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S
    7:59 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec
    7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10
    7:59 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (958.2)
    8:01 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33
    8:02 Mercedes CLK 63 AMG
    8:02 Aston Martin DBS
    8:03 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2005)
    8:03 Porsche 911 GT3

Nurburgring times :)

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Park next to the Teslas (fastest 0-60) in the lot. The world is changing but it's still an SUV. Yawn.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Riiight, that's a fair comparison. A fair number of the parts on my Cayenne Turbo S look like blown up 911 parts, especially the control arms. The Cayenne is a big, fat 911, not an electric scooter. But whatever. I took 1st place at Classics on the Green for the Ferrari V12 category a few years ago. Not like I'm not used to bringing a sports car or don't get where you're coming from. Just like to have a reason to show up for the time being. My 2001 911 is cute but it isn't show worthy. Looking hard at another 612, an OTO this time. Maybe soon.

11. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Hi folks,

Just a quick update - Theme for this year's show has been selected - "Cars of 1967" (open to any 1967 make/model), with a special display of classic Minis. '67 was chosen for two reasons - 50 year anniversary and considered the last year of the "pure" automobile (before safety and emissions regulations really kicked into overdrive).

The show will still be held at New Kent Winery on Sunday, September 17, but the Saturday evening festivities will be as part of a street party held in downtown Ashland, VA. Or so I've been told.... ;)

Hope to see you there!

gp

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    To all interested in Classics On The Green:

Sorry to inform you that this year's show has been cancelled.

Our show venue imposed stringent, last minute, contractual requirements in recent negotiations which simply made it impossible to continue putting on the high quality show for which we are known, at that location.

A hurried search for a new location yielded no suitable locations, and the club as a whole decided to put the show off for this year and focus on finding a better venue and bringing a "new and improved" (we hope) show for 2018.

We sincerely appreciate the support from the Ferrari community (especially in 2014, with the awesome, simultaneous engine start!) and hope to see you back in 2018.

In the meantime, I will be watching this thread, so please feel free to offer suggestions for improvement. We're all ears.

Looking forward to 2018 - thanks again!

George P.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Sorry to hear this; I enjoyed the show the two times I attended.

This year has been a bad one for shows; out west, both the Santa Fe Concorso and Arizona Concours d'Elegance (Scottsdale) announced they are no more. Venues seem to be more gun-shy than ever, and getting consistent sponsorship for something less than Pebble Beach or Amelia Island is like pulling teeth.

14. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    George,

Thanks for the update. Please extend our thanks to the rest of the event organizers for all the hard work they do year after year with this show. It truly is a great show to attend year after year!

What about the host hotel or Scotchtown? I know logistically it might not be the right place.
    But, they do have a big field next door. Could that handle the show, food vendors, etc?

Bill P.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It needs to go back to Browns Island downtown. Limit registration if necessary. Great location.

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Great idea!!!!!

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    We enjoyed going to this location! Great idea.

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    +1

19. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Browns Island was a great location !!!

20. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    We're discussing a lot of options, including those mentioned here. Brown's Island has many benefits, but also many challenges (not the least of which are the cost of it and dealing with the city to use it).

We're hoping to have a new venue secured by the September '17 time frame for a Sept '18 show. But how does everyone feel about the Sept time for the show? We think it's an almost ideal time, but would welcome other thoughts.

Keep an eye out here - if we come to any announcements, I'll make it here first, then start a new thread.

Thanks very much!

gp

p.s. - Bill: host hotel has even more challenges than Brown's Island, as do other areas. July 4th was considered our "Point Of Know Return" for this year's show. Further, we have no desire to do a show - *somewhere* - just for the sake of doing a show. We want it to be of the same caliber, or higher, of our previous shows. The club decided, as a whole, that it was best to suspend it for a year and find the right venue.

21. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Greetings one and all,

Well, it seems that Classics On The Green remains on hiatus. Brown's Island it eh #1 desired location, but requires significant negotiations. We viewed and reviewed about a half dozen other sites, but they were all deemed incompatible with what we desire for a high-quality show, or incompatible with what we can afford (which is unfortunate, as there are some *REALLY* nice venues out there!).

In the meantime, if your car is 25 years or older, you can always join the Richmond area AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) at their show on 23 June at St. Josephs Villa in Richmond. The Virginia Jaguar Club (JCNA) will be joining them for their annual concours event and my old blue car (my avatar pic), just back from its 2 year refurb, should be there (unless it's been sold to buy back my Dad's former E-Type! nudge nudge wink wink ;) ).

You can find more about the AACA show here: http://www.richmondaaca.com/

As always, I'll keep you posted if anything new is announced WRT Classics On The Green.

Thanks so much for your patience and interest.

gp

22. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    If you will, please PM me details regarding your requirements (geographical, financial, etc) and I will see if I can suggest some spots that may be acceptable.

23. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I would do that if I could figure out how in this horrible new formatting....

In a nutshell: Richmond area, attractive space (grass, trees, vintage buildings, etc., befitting of a higher caliber car show, i.e. not just a parking lot or grass field), willing to park 200-300 cars on the lawn, willing to help to not only put on the show, but for the show to benefit our (and/or their) chosen charity, etc etc.

If you send me a pm, I have figured out how to reply.... I can send contact info for the show's chairman and site selection committee and you can discuss ideas directly with them.

Thanks very much for the offer - I hope something works out (for next year - it's quickly becoming too late for this year...).

gp

24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    To PM somebody in this new software, go to your Conversations menu choice from your user name in the upper right hand corner of the web page.
    In the Conversations page, click on the "Start New Conversation" button (also located in the upper right area of the page).
    Enter the user name (or user names) that you want to send a PM to.
    Works similar to the old PM system.

25. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Thanks!