oto and sessenta collectability | FerrariChat

oto and sessenta collectability

Discussion in '612/599' started by defros, Mar 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    #1 defros, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    History has shown most 2+2 Ferrari's don't become highly collectible compared to the 2 seat counterparts of their time. I have noticed some recent high sales of the 3 pedal 612's. Think the Sessenta or the OTO will be the exception? The more I drive my 2010 OTO, the more I appreciate how special she is. What a fantastic car.

2. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Some people regard the Daytona "sister" car 365gtc/4 a much better car. But not in $ value

3. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Yes, I have grown increasingly more in love with mine as well

Let's see her... Please share ;)

4. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I am traveling but will be post photos once I am back in 2 weeks.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would love to think a 612 would become collectible as I love the cars and would buy one in a shot, as it would then pass the wife test and be a far more practical motor than the Ferraris I have. But if you look back along the lineage: 456M, 456, 412, 400, etc all the way back to the sixties cars; no mainstream 2+2 Ferrari has ever become 'highly collectible' (your words) in monetary terms. You can buy a good one of all of these for a few hundred k at the very most, and in most cases much less.

No reflection on how they drive; many of these are beautiful cars to drive. And to look at. Don't know why the "market" works like that, but that's the way it seems to be.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I agree with everything you have said, but cars like the 330 gt were classified the same way and all of a sudden are considered collectible. Previously owning a 330 gtc, I had no interest in buying the 330gt 2+2. It did not give me the same feeling as driving the smaller gtc or gts. When I first drove my OTO, I was amazed at how it drove and felt. I don't get the feeling as if am driving a car it's size. It's like driving a 599 with 2 extra seats in the back. Not really sure about the exact production numbers of the oto, but they are definitely rare in the states. I don't buy any of my cars as an investment, so it does not change things, but its always a possitive, when my cars are actually appreciating in value. The other cars you mentioned, like the 400i, will probably not go down in history as the best looking or driving Ferrari's. I don't want to start bashing previous Ferrari models and get into arguments with the owners of these cars, so I will leave it alone, but most would agree that the previous 2+2 cars were simply not what most people considered when thinking about owning a Ferrari. Having owned many Ferrari's and still owning 4, I can definitely say that I forget there are 2 seats behind me when I am driving my OTO. It's a special car and that is the reason why I asked the question. For people who have not driven the car, it probably will be a more difficult to clearly gauge the brilliance of this car.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think the OTO and Sessanta will actually end up being quite collectible-- but it will probably take another 15 or 20 years. They have several things in their favor-- they look great, represent the "end of an era," and were built in pretty small numbers due to the financial crisis.

And, they are very usable, which always helps.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All of them were special order too, since Ferrari needed a firm order before they would build one.

9. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    Terry,
    Since you are a wealth of information, do you know how many OTO's were produced each year? I asked my dealer and they did not know, but they told me they only serviced one other OTO.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do not have US numbers for 2008, which I would assume would be the highest, but we have them for 2009 on for USA production from NHSTA. They rightly qualify as rare, especially since they were all special ordered.

2009 29
    2010 26
    2011 1

Only other number I have for 612s is 2005/228.

11. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I did not know they even offered the 612 in 2011. I remember hearing that there were around 50 US spec cars in 2009 and 2010. Now your numbers confirm it. Those are ridiculously low production numbers for a car that was technically, not a limited production car.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    They are low numbers. But the last three years of those US figures were during the biggest recession since the Depression. 2+2 Ferraris have never been big sellers. The 412 GT sold 576 units from 1985-90, worldwide; the Testarossa sold 7177 from 1984-91, at a higher retail price. Only 1928 456s sold from 94-98, despite their beauty, and new engine, era, etc.

Low numbers can be deceptive. There were nearly 4000 Dinos. There were only 700 Mondial 8s. You can get a 365GTC4, a properly coach built 2+2, 500 made worldwide, for less than 50% more than the asking prices of some gated 612s.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 612 had been in production since 2003, so did pretty well lasting nearly 8 years, with total production of 3025. All the updates and option packages helped. That is more than the combined production of 456s and 456Ms (2599). Sessantas and OTOs make up a very small percentage, although I do not have production numbers for the OTOs.

lee-o likes this.
  14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They didn't start delivering the OTO until the middle of 2008-- I got mine in early July, and it was one of the first. And I think there was a bit of a break for retooling in early 2008.

That said, I would imagine they made more in 2008 than the other years combined... remember, anyone getting theirs in mid-2008 ordered it in 2007, and there were a fair number of cars where the buyer backed out before taking delivery.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Excellent point Don about when the first OTO's were ordered. Fortunately you didn't have to back out. :)

16. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    We all understand why production was so low during the last few years of the 612, but that does not change the fact that there was such a limited run of the OTO's produced. Overall, the 612 had good sales and had a long production run.

17. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think the original party ordering my car backed out of the deal (they had ordered all available options except luggage) as my car is an 08 OTO but was first sold in late June 09. So I wonder if many 08 were manufactured since the recession hit in early 08 which would have been timely for many ordering 612s to cancel the order prior to the projected manufacture date?

lee-o likes this.
  18. StartedFromTheBottom

StartedFromTheBottom Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 9, 2016
    Europe
    Somebody told me 60 sessenta cars built and only 21 luggages!!!
    That’s the rarest Schedoni luggage on the planet i believe...
    i think not even Alberto has one ;)??

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My 612 OTO (HGT2) was built in April of 08.
    It is no. 160338.
    It is the best “road” car I have ever driven!

cgt000 and lee-o like this.
  20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its definitely an amazing car - crazy value at today's market

lee-o likes this.
  21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well I was going to reply to StartedFromTheBottom, but I guess he isn't going to see this since he has been banned. Anyway, I found out that 74 sets of Sessanta luggage were produced.

So........ either more than 60 Sessantas were manufactured, or some buyers bought more than one set of luggage.

22. Robbiemiles

Robbiemiles Rookie

Feb 23, 2024
    Australia
    Full Name:
    robert migliore
    Hello all, I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a OTO with 10,000 kms from new in Australia. It has the CCB and StarTrek glass roof as well as the gorgeous wheels. A couple of questions for the more seasoned forum members. Do all do these cars come with the sports exhaust? And if I wanted to secure the luggage, does anyone know where I could buy a set? I’m preparing the car for concours and haven’t even driven it yet. It’s having the sticky buttons and trims redone as well as belts and a few other bits and bobs. It’s my first Ferrari and I chose it over a 599 because I’m more of a 4 seater guy. Here are a few pics. I will post more once I take full delivery.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Anthony James and brogenville like this.
  23. mike051

mike051 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    @Robbiemiles Congratulation! Well known OTO in YouTube if I am not wrong. ;) Welcome to the OTO club. :)
    For luggages, have a look on auctions, but it is quite hard to find. I stopped to try finding one for mine.
    Having them in after market will not provide you the associated trunk (leather and better finitions), except if this model had the factory luggage option. I tell you that because maybe it could be important for a concours?
    Sport exhaust was part of the HGT2 package, which was optional. But, the option politic of Ferrari was quite tricky at this time: you were also able to order the HGT2 package with standard exhaust.
    The Sound of the sport exhaust is quite similar to the standard one above 3000 RPM. After, quite different. :)

24. Robbiemiles

Robbiemiles Rookie

Feb 23, 2024
    Australia
    Full Name:
    robert migliore
    Thank you for the tips on the luggage. I happened to find some luggage on eBay for over 15k US. And of course as you’ve already said, it won’t add any value if it wasn’t ordered in the first place. I believe my car has a sports exhaust but I couldn’t find the build sheet when I was inspecting the log book at time of purchase. I will keep this thread updated. Can’t wait to drive her. I bought it without driving the car as it wasn’t road registered and not insured at the time. Many thanks again

25. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats on your new car and I wish you good luck with it!

I believe all the HGT2 cars have the sport exhaust, at least the few I have seen (including my 2008 OTO).

"I happened to find some luggage on eBay for over 15k US. And of course as you’ve already said, it won’t add any value if it wasn’t ordered in the first place."

I think you may have misunderstood Mike's post (or I did :)). I think what he meant is if you buy some aftermarket luggage, it is not going to have the same cache as luggage made by Schedoni for the 612. As Mike said, just keep looking at auctions, on eBay, Google searches and also in the Ferrari Parts and Collectibles thread in this forum. I searched for about a year before I found a set in the Ferrari Parts and Collectibles thread that was actually for the Sessanta. The seller was located in Belgium. It is even more georgeous than the standard set made for the 612.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Spider2400 likes this.