Sales Numbers (US) | FerrariChat

Sales Numbers (US)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by paulchua, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I thought you all would find this interesting.

Ferrari Sales (US Only)
    Month 2017 2016 %chg
    ---------------------------------
    Jan 200 141 41.8%
    Feb 270 170 58.8%
    Mar 262 205 27.8%
    -----------------------------------
    Tot: 732 516 41.9%

Source: ANDC

Let's just say I bought more NYSE: RACE

Cheers

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Four7EightBHP

Four7EightBHP Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 20, 2005
    USA - Colorado

Outstanding! This may answer (in part) why eBay has been running close to 700 used Ferraris recently when it hovered in the 400-500 range for years.

Does the data source indicate if the 2017 sales were leased or purchased?

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    It's a bit dated, but 2016 around 50% of new Ferraris delivered in the US were "financed" in some fashion (loan, lease), and Ferrari Financial had the bulk (90%) of the share of the financing business.

You might recall that FFS offered some compelling closed-end lease programs on the FF and California (high residual, low rate) which I'm sure helped move cars (and create a nice profit stream, as FFS and the clientele are anything but sub-prime, so low risk).

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, it does not have that info. Maserati sales have been strong as well.

Cheers

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Honestly, its not the USA numbers that are important. It's the rest of the world. If China is slowing down then its a big impact.

The USA should sell to quota. If they are under quota everywhere else it's a problem.

I was in a salesmen's office once and he looked really worried. This was a few years ago. I asked him "what's the problem". He said: "Did you look at the market today? Bad for my business."

Now, the market changed a few weeks later but it shows how the market and Ferrari sales are linked if salesmen are worried about the day to day DOW. And, look at the DOW now.

USA sales should remain strong. What's going on in Europe and China will be the key. But, maybe they will increase quotas here to push more inventory into the US market so its really hard to say.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is true. I would love to have access to ROW stats. I definitely see pressure in Europe. I think AIPAC is fine though.

Cheers

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Frankly, I have never understood Ferrari's business model. Why even build any four-seater models? If I was Ferrari, and you're probably glad I'm not, I would only build two-seat, drop-top, sports cars, period. And I would price them hard, really hard. Instead of producing 8,000 cars, I'd make 5,000 and keep rising the price until demand stalls. But that's just me.

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I give you only build 2 seaters! but some people love coupes. Berlinetta!

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    :) A wise man, Tom Shaughnessy, told me a long time ago, the price goes up when the top drops on two seats.

PS I like coupes too.

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm not questioning the validity of those numbers, but something isn't right. Either Ferrari has significantly ramped production (possible I guess under the sweater), or the cars aren't selling in other parts of the world and they're shipping them to the US, or .........

11. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017

Maserati sales have been strong as well? That's not good enough. Not if you wanna be their Brand Ambassador Mister Chua.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #12 paulchua, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    If any of you have a laugh or two - check out "fedcoin" in this thread where he is trying to explain to us all how his Buick sounds better than a Ferrari.

No, I'm not joking.

He then made a claim in the same thread that if you rev in neutral, you'll damage your engine. When asked for more details, he replied by plagiarizing some sentences from a forensic science newsletter that had nothing to do with cars; it just had a lot of scientific speak so he thought it would make himself look smarter.

I found the article he tried to pass off as himself and humiliated him.

...and then to finish it off - he says that all companies are corrupt - but he won't be left "holding the bag."

WTF?

He now obviously has a woody for me.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #13 paulchua, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Hi Paul,

Yeah it shocked me too! This is exactly what I see in ANDC. I thought about your post and went back to check again, I was thinking I was looking at Americas. But nope - just US only. We'll find out next week though when they release earnings.

Here are the Maserati and Alpha Romeo numbers:

Maserati
    Month 2017 2016 %chg
    Jan 889 525 69.3%
    Feb 1,087 728 49.3%
    Mar 1,312 997 31.6%
    ---------------------------
    Q1 3,282 2,250 45.9%

Alfa Romeo
    Month 2017 2016 %chg
    Jan 108 68 58.8%
    Feb 443 47 843%
    Mar 555 43 1,191%
    ---------------------------
    Q1 1,106 158 600%

Hope you find these interesting boys.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #14 paulchua, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I think it can be explained that if even Enzo himself used them sometimes as his daily drivers - the company will follow through. I am very sympathetic to your points, but with Ferrari being a public company now. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised to see a Ferrari SUV in my lifetime (despite what sweater man says)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017

Mister Chua I would have responded sooner to the other thread but I was down in the Gulf inspecting some footings for a wall we're building that Mexico is going to pay for.

That document is a federal publication, it's in the public domain, I simply improved it, you can patent that improvement.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ROFL...and what does Trump have to do with this?

Who do you think wrote the newsletter? I'm still waiting for my royalty payment.

17. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    #17 Zaius, Apr 30, 2017
    RACE is getting pumped because of future stock buybacks. Its a method perfected in America that shareholders use to rob a company.

For example GM spent all its $$ buying back shares in 90's and 2000's and invested zero into its workforce or plants. How did that end up? Oh yea it went bust.

If you take the earnings of the SP500 over the last 15 years something like 8% of earnings are reinvested into the company while 92% are paid out in sharebuybacks and dividends. This is why the stock market is elevated even though the majority of the economy is crap. Doing sharebuybacks also boosts earnings per share because there are less shares floating. US firms use this to cover the deteriorating economic environment.

RACE is doing the same thing they are doing sharebuybacks to boost GREEDY shareholder returns. This is why they are 'ramping up production' and wrecking a great brand.

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This and the Fed pumping trillions of free dollars into the market.

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I miss Montezemolo.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Look... when you put the person in charge of a company who was an accountant, what else would you expect?

Lots and lots of paper money.

It's like those Geico commercials

"When you're an accountant you add up numbers. It's what you do...."

Mr. Sweater's British cousin:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk23s4hh8M8[/ame]

21. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    #21 Zaius, Apr 30, 2017
    Actually that is a misconception. What the Fed did was deflationary and is leading to huge solvency problems at pension funds.

Think about it. The fed came into the market and removed bonds. Bonds add income to the private sector via interest. Every year the Fed removed something like 70 billion in interest income from the private sector.

This is the same effect as a tax. So that is why the dollar was strong the entire time and pension funds were starved of cash since they primarily invest in bonds.

Let me give you simple example:

You have $1million USD in bonds earning $30k a year. Fed swaps your bonds for US dollars that are earning $0 a year. Did they add or remove dollars? They removed them. This had the same effect as if the government taxed interest at 100%.

Idle speculators got capital gains from the feds bond swaps while WORKERS are getting decimated with underfunded pension.

This is the persistent theme in US economic history, robbing labor to pay off the rentier(USURER) class. Whenever compound interest leads to an inevitable debt crisis the wealthy class uses their control of government to bail themselves out while averting potential high inflation by imposing austerity(poverty) on the rest of the economy. That is precisely what has gone on in the western world for the past decade. To keep the populace sedated, sexual degeneracy is brought in as a distraction. So at the same time the economy is getting looted, people are promoting gays getting married. LOL!

If you look at Ferrari its the same story. They stole 2 billion from the company to pay off Fiat bondholders and added 2billion of debt to Ferrari books. Those funds could have been used to upgrade the factory or boost wages without increasing production! Now what are they doing? Increasing production to pay off the new debt incurred and using the increased profits to buy back shares which enriches speculators who had nothing to do with making Ferrari great. Look who picked up shares, predators like Soros because they get a free ride on the sharebuybacks.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree with you. I didn't mean to imply the Fed was causing inflation, just that it has played a huge part in driving up the stock market. In fact, I personally believe we are headed for deflation.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is true, the definitely saddled up this horse with a lot of baggage. Ferrari had a much better balance sheet pre-spinoff. They currently are a money machine - so it made sense from Fiat's perspective to grab and as much golden eggs.

Cheers

24. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    A bean counter?

:(

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Meanwhile if ferrari wants more sales, maybe they will develop some cars many of us actualy want, and produce them in sufficient enough numbers that we can buy them.

Seems liek the branded handbag market for men is stuck around 8k units, meanwhile Mclaren has gone from 0 units to 4k and lambo is up too.