prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ?? | FerrariChat

prices of Daytona Spyder "conversions" ??

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Parnelli, May 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    All-

What is the proper way to value the Daytona coupes that have been converted into convertibles? Are they worth slightly more than or slightly less than a regular Daytona coupe?
    I thought I read somewhere that "about 100" coupes were converted to Spyders. And that some were built using wrecked coupes. Is that correct?
    Who built the best conversions?

Here's an example:

1972 Ferrari Daytona For Sale - Full History and Massini Report, Borrani Wheels

Thanks

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    daytona coupe price minus cost to convert back into coupe form. the conversion is not recognized by factory so no classiche certification possible.

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    From my research they're priced the same as coupes.

On our side of the Atlantic anyway, Richard Straman's conversions seem to be the best, and probably most common conversions. Don't know about Europe or GB.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here's a nice conversion at Fantasy Junction that has had work done internally to make it match a factory spyder. $725k. Most coupes I see these days range between $675-$750 asking. So about the same.

1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder Conversion

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #5 Wheels1, May 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Being extra picky, the front inner wheel arches have been made in steel which is right but they look to rounded to me.

Inside the trunk looks very odd, pic of the car for sale and pic of what it should be like, on a LHD Spyder. [ Forget this, I have just checked pic's of other genuine Spyders and a lot of them have the angled brace in the trunk ] ! It looks like both styles are correct.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Has anyone ever taken one of these bastardizations and returned to a proper berlinetta?

7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I would buy this before I buy an Aperta. And, frankly, with the cost of the 575 SAs getting out of sight, I would buy this before a 575 SA.

Having said that, I see prices for the 550 PFB and the 575 SA running over $500K, and there is a 550 PFB in San Francisco at $700K and two at Marshall Goodman for over $650K. I have not seen one trade at that price, and I have seen auction results in the $300s. I think the $300s is right for the 550 pFB and 575 SA.

I have seen two Stramans and they are very nice.

8. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I take it that you are one of the enthusiasts that do not approve of these conversions :)

open roads likes this.
  9. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What about one that was sent back to Italy (from the US) for conversion? I'm unsure if the factory ever converted any Berlinetta's to Spyders. Does anyone know? The car I know of is in NY and quite nice.

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the research that went into your car probably wasn't equaled here ( your car is amazing), although it seems they did a pretty good job - I'd be very happy with it, after re-painting a different colour of course. ;)

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    There are similar variations (and more) in Berlinettas too. I recall hearing there are/were at least 11 or 13 different fuel tanks (part numbers) made for Daytona and I'm not sure whether those include any for Competiziones.
    I've had three Berlinettas simultaneously in the shop with different OE trunk paneling arrangements and currently two, both US models built less than a year apart, but with different tanks, trunk panels, etc. along with numerous other chassis, coachwork and trim variations.

12. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes a few have the Competizione Daytona Fantasy Junction have was once made into a Spyder. It's probably only been in the last few years that it has remotely made financial sense.

1971 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competizione

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Great. It's about time.

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It doesn't look quite right to me, someone got a bit creative with the restoration.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #15 davemqv, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Technically speaking, aren't the factory spiders themselves actually conversions? I've read numerous times over the years that the 122 factory spiders started out as coupe shells and were converted at the factory by Scaglietti. Of course there were other differences beyond the bodywork between the GTS/4 and the coupe/post factory conversions... but still.

Please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The other well known "converter" here in the states was Mike Sheehan. Blanked on his name the other day. Not sure if a Sheehan or a Straman is considered a "better conversion" across the board.

17. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Which may also be described as work having been done by European Auto Sales (Costa Mesa, CA), his company at the time.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Dave
    Spyder's were made at the factory as Spyder's from the start, NO coupes were made into Spyder's at the factory or Scaglietti other than maybe a pre production one.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    And to be more specific, but hopefully not terribly inaccurate, my understanding is that factory didn't really make any of the vintage era production cars.
    Bulk of the assembly and fabrication was "out-sourced" to coachbuilders like Scaglietti, Pininfarina, etc. while "the factory" only installed the running gear and perhaps some other mechanical components, but I could be wrong since I was never there to see all this in person.

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, sorry. I did not mean finished cars were cut into spiders by the factory. What I have heard/read/thought was that unassembled coupe body parts were cut/modified into spyders BEFORE being put onto chassis/frame.

So in other words, an unfitted coupe shell would get it's roof cut off and be modified into a spyder before it was assembled onto the chassis. Is that still wrong? They actually hammered out entirely different parts for the spyders from the get-go?

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    yeah when I say "factory" in this case I mean the coachbuilders for this car - Scaglietti.

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #22 TTR, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    No, Spyders were made from scratch. Even their bare chassis were built with extra reinforcements and some of the space frame structural sections used stronger materials.

Well, technicality even Berlinetta bodies were built from scratch with various semi-finished sections fitted and welded individually on to their respective chassis & space frame structures, hence a door, a hood or a entire front clip, etc from one car may not fit another without serious reconstructive fitting and trimming efforts. Not to mention, unless they've been subjected to severe reconstructive restoration and inadvertently made so, there's nothing symmetrical in their original coach work.

MarkL likes this.
  23. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting. Thanks guys for the re-education!

24. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    #24 steve meltzer, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Here's another conversion to which someone pointed me:

NJB Automotive, Exceptional Ferrari Service and detailing in Ohio

I guess that Edward96GTS's assertion that these cars are pretty much worthless ("coupe price - cost of reconverting to a Berlinetta") isn't true in this market, as they seem to trade/ask in the $700K range. He is correct that they can't be Classiche Certified, so they're no fun to own, nor drive. Therefore, in the AM i'm gonna crush my alloy-bodied, gorgeous conversion Spyder, #14047. steve

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #25 Wheels1, May 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the sequence they made the Daytona's body's at Scaglietti.
    Chassis frame was first made on a jig. Then it was place in production line clam shell jig. Next some of the frame work was added but not all, the rear section of the roof frame was left off to facilitate the fitting of the fibre glass tub [ coupe] and bulkhead [ both Spyder and coupe]. Then the supporting frame work was finished. Lots of the under wings ancillaries were now added such as the heater control box and vent pipes before the front clip, Windscreen frame, sills rear clip, roof [ coupe] and lastly doors. These are just the main points, there were lots of smaller parts added at various points. I would say at a rough guess there were more than 100 differences between the Spyder and coupe, from the chassis to the springs, fuel tanks, door glass, etc, etc. Here is a photo from a French mag of a almost finished body, the fibre glass shown in pink.

Smiles likes this.