Official Ferrari 275 GTB picture thread | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari 275 GTB picture thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by roma1280, May 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It appears to me that 70% of the 275GTB's now wear wire wheels, when surely originally the number was like 30%.

As I'm not a fan of wires, I find this a huge shame as the alloys are much better suited to the car.
    Pete

2. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    The problem is Pete, that it is impossible to buy new Campagnolo mags or even a modern replica. It is also difficult to find refurbishers capable of working with this material - many say 'easy', while others are more honest and are not prepared to touch them.

Apart from the difficulies of painting magnesium, it might not be wise to use 50 year old alloys in high speed driving. Failure could spoil your day!

By contrast, new Borranis are freely available and the factory will refurbish older wheels.

Perhaps someone could be persuaded to produce replicas of the Campagnolo originals in a stronger, modern alloy.

John

of2worlds likes this.
  3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I did not know this and can now understand the prevalence of wire wheels.

A lot of Alfa (GTA, SZ, etc.) wheels are now remade ... I guess there is not a large enough market for these wheels?
    Pete

4. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #1029 any_1, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From Gumball3000 in London april 2007. Owned by Karen Millen founder Kevin Stamford.7

Not sure what it is - a rebuilt 275GTB or a GTB/C?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    #1030 any_1, Apr 18, 2017
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    275 GTB 06941. Marcel Massini posted the details previously. Nose is not original.

7. MSM

MSM Rookie

May 5, 2008
    Switzerland
    #1032 MSM, Apr 26, 2017
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Marcel Massini

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Unfortunately more damage will be caused in the necessary removal process.

IMO far safer to test your cars performance on a proper race track than these targa events.

Oh well, at least they were trying to use the car and have fun ... hope this does not cause a return to the shed to only be removed for polishing.
    Pete

10. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    What's the color of the blue spyder in post 1018? Is that azzuro blue?

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Described as Azzuro Metallizzatto. See here: Ferrari 275 GTB NART Spyder

12. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Thats very unfortunate.

13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #1038 Aardy, Apr 28, 2017
  14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cool. Minor damage ... :) ... but still hate to pay for the repair though!

Pete

15. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    #1040 prance, Apr 28, 2017
    I agree completely. I thought of putting a set of mags on mine years ago but I have serious concerns for safety on a 50 year old alloy rim so I never bought any. I would actually, prefer outside laced 15" comp. wheels but my wheel wells wont take them and I'm not in a hurry to tear up the wheel wells. If they would fit I would get them in a heartbeat. Better size wheel and way more choices for far better tires with 15" rims.
    This is Prance at The Quail.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1041 torquespeak, May 6, 2017
    In first pic, car #11 on Tour Auto, 275 GTB shortnose (copyright: Luke Gilbertson) - am I right in thinking that this is s/n 07743?

Secondly, I've cropped a few front wings of various shortnose cars in the second pic. There are some subtle differences across these five cars in the shape of the wing as it curves from the wheel around to the front of the car.

I know there will always be small variations in cars this old, but are certain cars closer to the factory 'shape' at the front?

I also note that the Tour Auto car in the first pic seems to have a very shallow curve on the wing and bumpers that barely reach half way across the tyre width. If this *is* s/n 07743, can that be attributed to a slightly reshaped body when put back to original shortnose spec?

-Ed

of2worlds likes this.
  17. DonMicheletti

DonMicheletti Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Don Micheletti
    Those photos are interesting. I had a friend who had a 275 GTB just a few serial numbers from mine. The subtle differences between the two were amazing to me.
    When I restored my car, I did notice that all the removable parts had the cars serial number on them. Even the bumpers. I fully expect they would fit no other car.

18. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Subtle differences in Scaglietti cars are real and should not all be written off as poor repairs.

john

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1044 Marcel Massini, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    All of these cars were built by hand. No robots etc.
    Forget the year 2017, these 275's were built in 1964/1965/1966, only about 53 years ago.
    Consequently every single piece is different and the reason why one can find serial numbers, assembly sequence numbers and Scaglietti body numbers in all sorts of pieces is NOT to please historians fifty three years later but this was actually done to make sure that during production and assembly the right piece would go to the right car and fit properly. A pure organisational and logistic thing at the time.
    Try to imagine how was life in a small coachbuilding company in Italy 53 years ago? Dark hall, dusty, loud from the constant hammering of the metal. And total production of Ferrari cars in 1964 was just 654 cars (all models together). Not 8'500 as it is in 2017.

Marcel Massini

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    100% correct! Today the cars from Maranello are modern industrial products. No less - abut also not more...

21. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Indeed - and just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting this. My specific queries were:

a) Is this car s/n 07743?

b) Doesn't the front wing look significantly different to the other five pictured (i.e. not just a subtle difference - it seems to cut forward very sharply from the wheels unlike the other five)? If it is s/n 07743, then perhaps its history goes some way to explain the difference I perceive. That's all. :)

-Ed

22. DonMicheletti

DonMicheletti Rookie

Mar 24, 2017
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Don Micheletti
    My comments were not faulting the cars nor the builders. I fully understand why there were differences.
    I just found it fascinating to experience the uniqueness of each car first hand

23. 275nart

275nart Rookie

Jan 3, 2017
    SC
    pics I took at pinehurst concours 5-6-17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. leoparker990

leoparker990 Karting

Apr 28, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    Leo Parker
    Very interesting Photos of Ferrari 275 GTB. My friend has this car and love this car.

25. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    It sure would beat neat to see those photos all shot with the same camera with same focal length and the tripod and car in exactly the same spot.