Quattroporte III catch-all thread | Page 62 | FerrariChat

Quattroporte III catch-all thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Quattroporte3, Jun 27, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EUTR1988

EUTR1988 Rookie

Dec 1, 2015
    Stillwater, MN
    Full Name:
    Justin Schmitz
    Update to brake pad relining. 150$ a weeks time and viola - ceramic front pads. No dust. A worthwhile expenditure over the semi-metallics that come on the car.

Anyone looking for the same should be able to find a local company to reline their pads quite easily.

As for the electrical gremlins above. Have you tried bridging the contact on your fan switch at the radiator to see if that is simply a bad fan sensor? That would be a huge issue solved - you do not want to overheat these cars.

2. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Kurt- grounds grounds grounds. I just replaced the fuel pump in mine and it won't play on the stock harness but I have continuity through the inertia switch. Next step is to pull the fuse boxes and column switches, check grounds relays fuses etc, will post a follow up with the diagnosis.

Does anyone have a schematic for the pump circuit? My photo copy is illegible. Thanks chaps.

3. aerokurt

aerokurt Rookie

Feb 4, 2011
    SW Fla & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Michael,
    Do a thorough search, make dam sure there's no evidence of MICE!!!!!

Cheers

4. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #1529 Mexico074, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello Michael...

Not sure I have ever seen a separate schematic for the fuel pumps on the QPIII.
    There is the BIG electric schematic for the whole car. There is also this, which
    shows the main pump, but not the emergency pump. According to the info for this schematic, item 132 is the main fuel pump.... Perhaps this will be of some help to
    you.. If it isn't, please respond with a copy of the faded schematic you have,
    and perhaps I can see what I have...

Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Mexico074, thank you very much- that is quite helpful.

I assume the Emerg Pump switch 131 and the main pump 132 are connected to the same box- is that fuse box B in the passenger foot well?

I remember my Biturbo was originally wired to start the pump only after the key reached position 3 - is the QP the same or should the pump run with the key in position 2?

Thanks

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #1531 Mexico074, Apr 19, 2017
    Hello again Michael...

Below is some info I obtained a while ago.. It describes what happens when the
    key is turned! This could be helpful to you as it references the fuel pump(s)..

But I must caution you here. I have not confirmed this info, so please use as
    reference and not necessarily an absolute description of the starting process. It might
    help you as you work through your issues... But again, be careful!

Since these are photos, they may be a bit hard to read. But you might be able
    to copy off the photos and enlarge them to make reading a bit easier.

Also, keep us informed of what you come across. I can't recall if you posted photos
    of your car or not.. If you haven't, please post some..

Mike

7. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    #1532 bski7908, Apr 21, 2017
    Here is a photo of what awaits in the passenger footwell- once I remove the phone & TV cables hopefully I will be able to start restoring the wiring harness. I must be on to something though because after jiggling a few things the blinkers and dash warning lights went nuts. The fuse boxes themselves look excellent- all fuses are correct and I don't see any corrosion.

8. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Michael.. I think someone else recommended this earlier.. If you have the
    big electrical layout for the car, find all the ground points. Clean them thoroughly
    and then see what happens.

If that doesn't solve the majority of your problems, keep posting them. I have some
    additional information, although not much, for the electrical system.

Mike

9. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    The diagrams in the owners' book are somewhat helpful but I might need a little help figuring out how many ground points there are in total.

Do you have any tips on removing the cluster and dash pad? I don't want to contribute to the decline of my interior any more than is necessary!

And in a late response to the manual transmission conversion discussion here a while back, why not try something like a Kilduff? custom automatic ratchet shifters

10. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Has anyone disassembled the external mirrors before? Does the outer shell simply pry off the rubber body holding the glass itself?

One of my neighbors was good enough to knock the mirror off the car and broke the aluminum mounting plate. I figured I'd fix the mirror motor while it's off of the car.

Last I checked a few years ago, these mirrors were unobtanium. Is that still the case?

QP3

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

The Vitaloni mirrors can be bought through MIE (Masersti Club International). New. Or from any Fiat, Lambo etc. They were fitted to many Italian cars.

12. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
  13. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    #1538 S_AGATA, Apr 30, 2017
  14. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Still diagnosing the inop fuel pump circuit but I've done my best to map the fuses to their various systems from the owner’s manual. Feel free to check my work; this is 50% random guessing with google translate anyway.
    Front Box A (fuse positions 1 – 10)
    1 – 8A light control
    2 – 8A light control
    3 – 16A light control
    4 – 16A light control
    5 – 16A screen defrosters
    6 – 16A screen defrosters
    7 – 8A trunk
    8 – 8A fog lights
    9 – 16A mirrors, radiator fans, clock
    10 – 16A mirrors, radiator fans, clock

Middle Box B (fuse positions 1 – 10)
    1 – 16A fuel gauge, directionals, fans, a/c clutch, air pump (?), defrosters, clock, seat motors, locks, solenoid valve
    2 – 16A wipers, washers, shock switch (fuel pump cut-off), wiper fluid level (?), TEDEL box 101
    3 – 16A seat motors, mirrors
    4 – 16A window motors, a/c thermostat
    5 – 16A hazards, dome lights, door locks, “handle switch” (? – direct translation), brake lights, door chime, clock, cigarette lighter
    6 – 16A key chime (?), dome lights timer, door switch (?), plug switch (?), trunk switch
    7 glass fuse – 3A corner/ tag/ tail lights
    8 glass fuse – 3A corner/ tag/ tail lights
    9 – 5A corner/ tag/ tail lights
    10 – 5A radio

Rear Box C (fuse positions 3 – 8)
    3 – 8A windows, lights
    4 – 25A defrosters
    5 – 8A locks
    6 – 8A fog lights
    7 – 8A locks
    8 – 8A not used? The manual shows an 8A fuse here but does not map it to anything.

Next, wiring colors and ideally wire colors.

15. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Funny - Why I sometimes worry about those old Italian manuals.

From paragraph 2 of owner's manual page 172 "Preparing the car for Operation"

"Lower the car and check the tyre pressure. Charge and reinstall the battery. Drain the diesel fuel also from the filter and carburetor."

Diesel?

16. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Which is why it's probably better to learn Italian and read it in the original than trust the translation! I always have a look at the Italian text as well (or French, in the Owners manual) just to confirm what they're trying to say in English. It can't hurt.

17. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    I don't usually toot my own horn, just wanted anyone interested to know that I plan on putting my car up for sale soon.

I still have some detailing and last things to finish up, and need to take new pictures.

It's time to pass it on to a new owner who can bring a fresh perspective and renewed energy to maintaining and improving it further.

If you know anyone who might be interested, please PM me.

Thanks!

18. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Michael...

I did some checking against some info I have, and found the following
    differences in what you show:

Front Fuse Box (A):

7. Fuel evaporative fans - 8a

Middle Fuse Box (B): (not many differences - but will list what my documentation shows)

1. Dash panel lights and gauges, turn signal lights, radiator fan relay energizer, A/C
    compressor clutch, windshield and rear window defroster, distributor vacuum
    electro-valve, clock light, back-up lights - 16a

2. Windshield wipers, windshield washer, headlight washer, inertia switch, washer
    fluid level, TEDEL 101 module - 16a

3. Power Seat operation system, outside rearview mirror - 16a

4. Passenger compartment ventilation control switch, A/C thermostat - 16a

5. Hazard lights, dome lights, electric door lock control switch, door handle key lock,
    stop light switch, horn relay set, clock, cig lighter - 16a

6. Key insert buzzer and dome light relay, electric fuel tank filler flap control switch,
    electric trunk lid switch - 16a

7. Parking and license light diolde set - TEDEL 104 - 3a (glass)

8. As above - 3a (glass)

9. As above - 5a

10. Radio and glove compartment light - 5a

Rear Fuse Box (C): (some differences)

3. Back-up lights - 8a

4. Rear Window defroster - 25a

5. Fuel tank filler flap electric control - 8a

6. Additional stop lights - 8a

7. Trunk lid electric control - 8a

8. Spare - 8a

Some of the differences in wording might be attributed to translation - such as passenger
    compartment ventilation control switch could be windows. Other differences could be
    due to changes in the electrical system not necessarily documented.

I also found the following, which might relate to your fuel pump issue:

"A solid state electronic box TEDEL 101 which receives a signal from the inertia switch and
    operates electric door locks, trunk lock, gas filler flap, and stops the primary fuel pump,
    stalling the engine in case of hard impact. It has a glass fuse incorporated which can be
    serviced from outside the box. Also TEDEL 101 always controls the electric locks (doors,
    trunk, and fuel tank filler flap) and the primary fuel pump."

I am not sure about a glass fuse being serviceable from outside the TEDEL 101 box,
    as I have not looked at mine in some time, but could possibly check if you like.

If this information is correct, is it possible that the TEDEL 101 box or the inertia switch
    could be the source(s) of your fuel pump issues?

Hope this helps...

Mike

19. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Going at this slowly but surely- yes there is a 16A glass tube fuse in the front of the tedel box. Complicating matters are remnants of an old alarm/ cb (?) leeched onto the wiring harness. If anyone needs yards & yards of used electric tape, I'm your guy.

20. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Oops - the glass fuse on the front of the Tedel 101 box is a 1.6A.

21. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Ok so I now have a working fuel pump circuit and when I connect the battery I get high beams, no gauges, no horns, no wipers, no blinkers. Progress!

22. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    #1547 nickypp, Jun 2, 2017
    I've been there and feel your pain. Have you tried tracing electrics through these two diagrams? They are in my owners manual, I took them to a copy shop and zoomed them out to 11"x17". Came in real handy. I have the whole thing as a PDF, but its real big.
    Hope it helps. In the end, on my rat, one of the TelDel boxes had a blown diode, the instrument cluster board had a short too. Still haven't figured out why the central locks don't work and I have to open gas cap from the trunk, but that engine still puts a smile on my face, every time I go for a spin.

23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My instruments have also stopped working.... What did you do to fix yours? Thanks!

24. bski7908

bski7908 Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    MBS
    Doesn't it though? It's thunder played through a baritone sax.

25. nickypp

nickypp Karting

Feb 24, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nick Pavich
    Not all of my instruments went out, if its all of them, i would first try to clean the 4 connectors on the bottom of the instrument pod. one of them supplies power and ground to the whole thing, while the rest of the wires send signals to the various gauges and lights.

In my case, I had conductivity issues on the circuit board and in the end found another one on ebay. Which was easier than trying to repair mine. The circuit boards can be soldered, it's just a bit of a pain.