Ticking noise coming from F512M engine bay | FerrariChat

Ticking noise coming from F512M engine bay

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zanzibar, Mar 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Hi all,

I went to see an F512M that is for sale locally. When the engine is running at idle, there is a harsh ticking noise emanating from near the A/C compressor. It is hard to pinpoint it, but that is more or less the area it comes from. It does not seem to be entirely in synch with engine speed, more an erratic ticking once every few seconds. With my limited knowledge, I would guess either the A/C compressor itself or perhaps a bad spark plug wire that makes a short circuit with the engine ground?

I know I should get a PPI anyway, but before I go that route, perhaps there are enlightened souls out here who can shed more light on this?

Regards,
    Rik

2. notenuphstuph

notenuphstuph Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    Try spaying belt dressing on the ac belt, it works on mine, I think it's a common problem

3. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    The noise is actually quite harsh. Perhaps I should say more like a clicking noise than a ticking noise. The car is almost 400 km from my place, so I cannot spray the belt dressing from here. ;-)

4. notenuphstuph

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    Mine is also VERY loud when it happens. But I aint no mechanic. I guess if your serious then a PPI will expose the problem. good luck and keep us posted with the outcome..

5. JohnP

JohnP Karting

Nov 23, 2007
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine does the same, especially when the rpm drops during take off. it started after i changed the alternator. it sounds like a furl ping almost. I think its the alternator belt hitting the fan blades on the alternator. maybe the belt is to tight or to loose.

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

...could be the AC compressor or Alt.

....more likely the AC compressor. When it clicks, turn the HVAC control to full heat....if it goes away, it's the compressor.

A couple of years ago, I had an alarming ticking noise. It was the upper rad hose leaking ever so slightly at the clamp dripping coolant on the AC belt.

You would never believe the sound...sounded like a valve going

...tightened the clamp, full clean of the belt and voilà ! ....noise gone...heart back down out of throat. :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

7. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks to all for the input. It turns out that it was the belt. Problem has been fixed already by the dealer.

8. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Do you just spray it on the belt and pulley while it's running and the noise stops? What brand do you recommend.? Mine started clicking today....

9. notenuphstuph

Apr 29, 2008
    Lossiemouth,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hewjun
    I use VAP VAPROMATIC beltdressing, spray on the AC belt whilst the engine is running, BE VERY CAREFULL, the ticking should stop immediately, I find that mine sometimes needs this after it's been caught in rain (sorry if I offened the (NEVER SEEN RAIN)guys) but here in N.E. Scotland they've all seen rain.............Hope this works for you.........

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

In general, you should not need belt dressing. I drive my TR in very heavy FL rain with no squealing or ticking.

I only had a ticking issue because of coolant dripping directly on the belt.

If you have a ticking belt issue, the belt may be worn or glazed. Re-tension the belt first, if the ticking continues, put on a new belt. If it still continues, make sure the AC belt is aligned properly on the pulleys.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Also make sure you order the right belt. There was a design change and you need to know which belt is the correct one for your application..

R

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    FWIW my Boxer ticks until it warms up. Has done so even after complete major service.

13. Shemmer

Shemmer Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Funny, once in a while I hear the same thing when starting up. It's clearly a rotational noise but pretty loud, not AC related. It's similar to taking a screwdriver tip and tapping a metal bench with it. Kinda worrries me cause it sounds like it comes from the timing belt cover area. If it was a frayed belt I'm not sure it would make this type of noise. We should record it and post the video to see if they are the same noises we hear.
    I never thought of the belt dressing, maybe I'll try it.

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Same exact thing here. In retrospect, it does sound a little like a belt. I'm going to invest in some dressing and give a spray next time. Might be the cheapest fix in the history of Fcars.

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    My TR will do this on occaision on first start up - usually cooler mornings. Goes away pretty quickly. I was made aware of this "quirk" early on in my TR search and never thought much of it.

CC

16. HOU

HOU Karting

May 2, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    John S
    1. The gates polyflex AC belt can make a clicking noise. had the same belts on the Bora.

2. the belts are very tuff. also seen them on airplanes. i never had a failure, but the belts do start to strangely click when they age.

3. i recently changed both belts after an alternator belt failure at texas world speedway. see my post for the details.

4. also belts are listed in the cross reference section

5. i did not tighten the pivot bolts 100 percent so i can now more easily adjust tension entirely from above. after 1500 miles the alternator grooved belt was a little stretched so i tightened it. the ac polyflex did not need adjustment

17. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    #17 KENCO, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Shemmer

Shemmer Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Exactly, so nothing to be worried about then right?

19. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Two well respected F-trained techs have told me the same thing - one here in MD and another in Mass. I do not worry about it as long as it goes away in a few minutes - once some heat gets into the belt I guess.

20. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Hey guys I found this thread with a search and think I may have similar issue. Recently at start up audible clicking noise coming from directly around AC compressor. To me it is very clear it is coming from that area. AC compressor comes on fine and works fine. Engine runs perfectly. But sometimes I can hear what sounds like a valve noise coming from behind the passenger side and from what Shamile wrote it sounds precisely like what my issue is. I tightened the AC belt and not sure it quieted it much. It feels tight with only a bit of slack as I am nervous to tighten it too much more. Any ideas to completely silence it. Belt does not seem to have oil or coolant on it to cause slippage. Thanks

21. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Here's a test to try. Get an adjustable nozzle water spritzer and spray just a light fine mist on the belt while it's making the clicking. Only need a squirt or 2. If the clicking goes away your belt is still a bit loose. Worked for me.

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Did you buy the M?

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    or it is old and hard

also may be a very little stone is in there who makes this noise?

also it could be inductive electric charge ( don´t know if this is the right word?? ), so try to have a look in the dark and if you see some sparks then it is inductive charge. use some silicone spray

24. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Its caused by static electric on the drive belts......

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think static electric and inductive charge is the same?