Anybody else had enough of Brian Crall? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Anybody else had enough of Brian Crall?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Techs don't work on cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's the silliest thing I've heard in a very long time.

"In 2012, Mercedes Benz U.S. International, Inc. (MBUSI) launched the first Automotive Technician program."

https://www.mbusi.com/employment/training/71-mechatronics-training-program-2

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2M1KpfcXg[/ame]

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I have never seen anybody repair a computer. I have seen a number of people repair a car. I'm not saying techs are not skilled. But I am saying cars are still more mechanical than computer motherboards. For example, have you ever seen someone repair a fuel pump, instead of replacing it? Plus someone still has to figure out the problem is the fuel pump, don't they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Part of being an experienced tech is knowing how to troubleshoot, and determining profit strategies as well. If it takes 4 hours to troubleshoot, remove, repair and reinstall a fuel pump, when just replacing it takes 1.5 (troubleshooting time included), what would you do?

Besides, there are old cars and newer ones (with advanced technologies). Plus many in between. Too many variables.

For example, old computers might get sent off for repair because they're NLA, but there are only a few handfuls of people who can fix them. For newer cars, they're not economically feasible for repair. So you replace them.

Same with motors, the 348 for example; blow a belt it's either $25K+ to rebuild the motor plus everything with it. Or half that to replace the motor with a used one.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    What do you mean? We are there er...here. A man is a woman if he feels it and can defeat an entire school system of female athletes as a woman. That's idiotic but you can not say that as they make you out to be the idiot.

6. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Are you in Houston? Who is your mechanic? My Mechanic is from Argentina too! In the area.

Pm me if you'd like

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Considering Ferrari tech manuals and discs if any are notoriously inaccurate, and many parts on Ferraris are NLA, replacement is not usually an option. SD3 computers were notoriously hard to get to even find codes and diagnose into the late 2000s.

I've had a hell of a lot of vintage cars worked on by good technical mechanics, and technicians are great when all is easily diagnosed with a laptop. Ferraris ain't that way.

Dales point is not a semantic one.
    Techs can't walk to a box of emulsion tubes and jets and pick out what computer says. Years and years of screwing with Webers helps you then.

You ask for help. You get free help. You complain, after paying exactly nothing more than a subscription if that.
    High end mechanical engineers need to eat. Have customer cars. Don't need whiny BS in their lives from people that wish to doubt or complain.

Get over yourselves, grow a pair, and learn yourself out of being like someone that I'd refer to as an azzhat ingrate. Lots of experts on the intarweb. No like answer? Move along to next one, don't start a whiny school child "I'm butt hurt, who else is" thread.

Waste of electrons, puerile, and shows you know cost of everything, value of nothing. Spend huge amounts to multiple "techs" to get a screwed up job done right finally. If you haven't done that, you're a:lucky, b:need to learn hard way.

Boohoo

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Brian Crall alias Rifledriver is (or was, I don't know) a mechanic. I don't know him in person, I just read his posts here. Reading his (many) posts it looks he is a very experienced Ferrari mechanic. I learned many things reading his posts. I learned for free, that is always a plus. Always reading his posts, I realized he not an engineer nor a marketing man nor a sales man. Often rude and direct (even too much) he clearly shows what he is: a skilful and experienced Ferrari mechanic with a long story in Ferrari fixing and troubleshooting.

He is not skilful in writing nor in human relationships (I mean selling/marketing/polite attitude), but I would bet he is very skilful with shop tools and in findind out what your car problem is.

So, considering that (for what I know) he writes here for free and gives a lot of help without gaining everything, I wouldn't complain too much. Yes, he is rude and (sometimes) could improve about how dealing with other Fchatters, but nobody is perfect and anyone has his own features. Exactly like Harkley Davidson motorbikes... ;)

In few words: he is not perfect and writing is not the top skill Rifledriver has, but I do think he doesn't deserve such a discussion

ciao

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Daniel at DRC Motors (Daniel Repairs Cars), but there are a lot of Argentinians in Houston and quite a few are mechanics. Daniel told me kids in Argentina come to a fork in the road when they reach 16. Most like him, choose a trade and go to work. Few go on to the university. I wish we had that system here, but I digress.

Daniel also told me nobody throws anything away, you never know...

10. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Ditto.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this I know by myself very good - but some day you have not place anymore to store all and then you throw away some things and within the next 4 weeks someone comes to you and ask for exactly this what is in the trash - terrible life :(

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny how that works, huh?

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Um, yeah.

What?

Let me parse this one out.

"A man is a woman if he feels it" cross dresser or transgender or transitioning?

"and can defeat an entire school system of female athletes as a woman" Ok, that means post surgical transitioned, got it, otherwise would not be allowed to compete against other women.

Just FYI, most transitioned male-females that I've met are not like Bruce/Kaitlyn Jenner, they're more like Shia Lebouf, and would not have any unfair advantage on the playing field, once transitioned.

"That's idiotic but you can not say that as they make you out to be the idiot" hmmmm . . . LOST ME. This is the part that I can't connect to the other part of your argument. Can you elucidate this for me?

D

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney

FIFY Dave.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

:D

Figured he might be drunk posting, wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Your choice is MUCH better.

D

16. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
  18. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Rifledriver's posts are often really helpful because he is experienced and knowledgeable. I really like my cars and have been doing any DYI within my abilities as i like learning, and often his are among the helpful posts i find when i search the forum. I respect that some folks are more socially involved in the site - i am more of a searcher/looking for facts so my perspective is limited to that.

19. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    +1

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    To be fair you are the one who called the man "penis wrinkle".

21. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Evidently he knows them well.

22. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Does seem well acquainted.

23. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I joined f-chat in 2012, two years before I bought my car, in order to learn everything I could while shopping for the right one. Between my first post and today, I've gone from never working on my own cars to completely restoring my own Ferrari (sent it to a pro for the engine), thanks not just to f-chat, but particularly to the top experts who post here and were willing to give of their time to answer my private questions or talk me through tough spots. I always had a master Ferrari mechanic on standby, but truly wanted to take my car apart myself in order to understand what everything is, where it goes, and how it works.

In the last five years, many of my mechanic contacts have decamped from this site due to member squabbling and getting fed up with bad advice "noise." The number of actual professional Ferrari mechanics giving free, CORRECT advice here has dwindled from many, to basically Brian Crall and Paul Newman. He can be curt, he can be snarky. He's occasionally been that way to me when I've posted an amateur or inane comment, and I've even called him out for it. But I have the utmost respect for a master professional who gives freely of their time and asks for - and stands to gain - nothing in return. If he answers your question, you can be 100% sure it's correct advice. I don't know who else is left here about whom that could be said. His time is valuable, and he doesn't suffer fools. He's an invaluable asset to the community even if his manner isn't to your taste, Quasi Psycho.

24. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    ^^^This. So very much ^^^this!

Well said, Justin.

25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Justin, all I will add is this site has a huge member base with lots of guy that contibute correct information. Regardless of this situation, please don't dismiss that.

I have learned much from pros and non pros. This forum is full of very smart and talented people.