Anyone have/had a HUMMER H1 ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone have/had a HUMMER H1 ?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by HOF Ferrari, Jul 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is that rino lined ?

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Now I want one...

:)

Matt

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #28 msdesignltd, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    The ones with the Duramax can be turned up and will really move (for an H1). The Duramax is also a popular swaps the the ealier examples that had the 6.2 or 6.5.

5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    msdesinltd... that a great looking open top... what year is that? wrap and wheels and tires look killer.... Now I miss mine even more...

6. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    well.... im back in! just bought 2000 4 door hardtop (not the wagon type)... have some big plans for it!! should be too me in 2 weeks, then the build gets started. All cosmetics, im completely fine with power etc...

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I had a 2000 H1 open top. So fun with the top off in the summer cruising around like the king of the hill. Got to take it to the Hummer Homecoming at the factory really cool event.

8. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Man... that is the most beautiful truck I've ever seen.

Damn.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

How much should it cost to wrap an H1?

Matt

11. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    #36 Patrick21x, Mar 21, 2017
    I had a 2003 H1 Wagon for a couple years. Although it was a blast to drive, my wife and I went out to celebrate the day I sold it, Seriously.

The H1 was the worst vehicle I had ever owned. I maintained it perfectly but always had nothing but problems. You fix one leak, the next week a new leak. Fix that one, a new one appears shortly after. The damn H1 ruined my new driveway due to all the leaks.

Forget about long trips. Going anywhere far is almost just begging to be stranded on the side of the road. It just seemed something was always going bad. It cost more than any of my Ferrari's to maintain. One of my mechanics basically says its too old of a vehicle and that all parts are at the end of their life span such as water pump, starter, steering, etc etc etc.

They are very fun to drive. But there are a few things I would do differently. First off, the over sized tires are a NO GO. Like the picture above where H1 is coming over the sand. If you tried to take that at an angle, the front wheels would go up into the front fender making an horrible noise as tire almost rips the hood off. I had the same problem. It looked sweet on the freeway with the big wheels, but as soon as I tried to go offloading, tires started rubbing and hitting fender/hood. I had to unlatch the hood just to get out of the off road area with out ripping the hood apart. If I where to do again, I would insist on stock wheel and tire size. What good is a H1 if you can not take it off road and get through obstacles without ripping apart fenders.

Lastly, If I where to get another one, It would have to be the Alpha with Duramax conversion. This is the only way you will get a reliable drive train that you can actually take on decent trips. But those are selling for $150-200k which is pretty silly for such an older vehicle. If your going to spend that much, just get a GURKHA http://www.terradyneinc.com/

Lastly, The prices are tanking on the H1 because the goverment is now selling off their old inventory. You can pick up a decent H1 for $5000 now. Put about 10-20k into it and you will have a pretty bad ass h1 that you can take anywhere without spending 60-100k.

Search Results

You can buy from gov planet, then send it to Plan B and they will make it and register for official road use. You spend about 20K at plan b and you will have a pretty kick but H1.

Plan B Supply 6x6 Military Disaster Trucks and Emergency Gear

I paid $89k for my H1 Wagon and sold it 2 years later for $59k. Thanks to the market changing due to places like govplanet and planB, the prices have come way down and I expect them to go even lower.

Thats my experience and what I learned while owning my H1 Wagon. Hopefully it gives a little info and helps avoid some of the same pitfalls.

Patrick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the parts ones go for 5k... you can hit the sold tab to sell what they sell for...

13. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #38 msdesignltd, Mar 21, 2017
    A good shop will charge 5 g's
    A great shop about 7 g's

Yes , the look is stealth...
    Lots of cameras come out when i roll in

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm into off-roading Jeeps, and I always laugh when I see a "mall crawler" Jeep. One of the things that characterizes them is no consideration for potential full wheel articulation given the tire size and lift fitted. May work fine on road (or on flat beaches, or on smooth dirt roads) but on technical off road trails--no way. Of course, it you don't plan on leaving paved roads then it doesn't much matter.

15. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    MALL CRAWLER LOL that sums it up perfectly. I learned the hard way. Bought the H1 the way it was shown with the large wheels. Went straight to off road park, began to cringe immediately. Lesson learned, leave those Mall Crawlers for street posers. If you want to off road then go with a proper set up.

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Why?

17. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #42 msdesignltd, Mar 22, 2017
    Gonna have to agree with concensus that oversized wheels will rub in extenuating circumstances.
    Its a weekender for me and really only for beaching and outback trails.
    There is a 20 mile stretch of beach from e hampton to montauk.
    Just put a smile on my face every time
    The highest elevation where i am is 6 ft.
    So i can get away with it.
    I have to run slightly lower air pressure for my back to survive.
    I want a duramax next.
    And upgrade dampening

Its a serious bully of a car
    And the air Train horns just top it off.

Just a fabulously cool ride

18. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  19. ejf2461

ejf2461 Rookie

Jan 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had a couple H1's and will save you a bunch of headaches. If you are not getting a 2005/2006 with the Duramax/Allison Transmisson then dont buy one. If you can find the H1 Alpha then snag it and keep it forever. The older 6.5L GM Turbo isnt a good motor..if you rebuild it and add about 150hp it came be ok but then you have to rebuild the tranny to handle the power which puts you in the H1 Alpha territory.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The word ugly comes to mind, when i see a hummer

21. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    they are cool

22. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    msdesign....what year is yours? it looks great... real nice set up..

23. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    agree!! bad ass!!

Yes, they are down on power.. but not really the reason to want or have one. Truly awesome trucks.

and driving on the freeway your pretty much limited to about 60-65mph tops... but again, I could careless...

its a weekend type vehicle, just like most Ferraris, and you see way less H1's than Ferraris!

check out Sourcemotors.com these guys completely change the way the interiors look on these rigs, making them so freakin kool!! (note.. lil byass as they are in process of doing mine!)

24. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #49 msdesignltd, Jun 21, 2017
  25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed