No LaFerrari Aperta? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

No LaFerrari Aperta?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd imagine there are 299 LaF owners that are pretty disappointed that they didn't get an invitation. IMO they should've just built 499 Apertas and invited all current owners to one. 200 seems to be a number that divides the group in a way to get people really upset. Either make it extremely limited (like only 5) or one for everyone. Cutting it almost in half is the worst way...

2. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I remember seeing something like this come up when it was reported that Bieber had been given a Ferrari based on his fame rather than his commitment to the company.

But, I believe it was later reported false. Been a while.

3. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I'm approaching 7K miles but now I just like to use it for spiriting driving. I'd have more but it's very rarely at my house.

The collecting part is a difficult thing. Manufactures want to sell to their best customers but many of them have a lot of cars and have multiple residences. They have to make a real effort to drive them and probably never get around to really using them.

My neighbor who lives about 500 yards from me has a fantastic collection but no garage space. Cars are at offsite locations, stored at different houses, etc. His cars have very little miles on them but he has way too many and he never sells them.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Exactly, I haven't driven my 458 for like three months. How many "fun" miles can a busy person actually drive in a year, 10k max. I have 3 fun cars, that's 3300 a year. If I had 10 fun cars that'd be 1k a year which is pathetic. And especially with these hybrids. I feel like all of these super low mileage P1's, 918's and LAFs could be an issue for new owners. No way the cars were intended to just sit for over a year. I'd wager the 10k mile 918 out there for sale is the safest bet at the moment.

5. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    200 Aperta but there are only 35 FXXKs....and how many folks have the trilogy?

6. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks a lot Marcel, great info and i would prefer the original grigio argento with nero interior
    much more than the giallo with livery and wannabe Competizione look...

Makes the Lusso F12 TdF combo a little bit shine like a "makeup" than the real thing...

But at the end they are still great cars! :)

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    At least you for sure. :) Btw, I don't think I said it in any of the Mondiali threads, but thanks for bringing the FXXK out there. It was amazing in the flesh.

8. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You and Treynor for sure...

9. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #59 Peloton25, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David Lee's wannabe Lusso Comp (5847GT) in "longterm storage" as described by Marcel seen below.

It's not like owning a regular Lusso is considered a bad thing so why does he put so much effort into lying about this car's actual history? Maybe those offering up positive character references in here can come up with a valid explanation?

The way I see it, it's just more proof that not everything that glitters in David's world is truly gold. Not really a positive endorsement when ones business is selling jewelry and watches, I know. ;)

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont understand either. I guess he knows the vast majority of his followers wont know it's a true comp Lusso but it will somehow make his star shine more...You would think that with all of the cars he owns it wouldnt really make a diff.

Is the P1 GTR his or not?

11. Historic F1

Historic F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    I following him on Instagram and he does have a great collection of cars. He also keeps alluding to the fact that he still owns the 288 GTO Evoluzione by posting photos of it or old photos of it in the background. I kept asking him if he still owned it or sold it when he would post it? After asking a few times he got mad at me for the repeated questions on his page. He then inboxed me that he had "traded" it with a friend with the posiblity of trading back in the future. Very odd fellow.

12. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The thing I don't get about the Lusso is if it's not a Comp. model as he claims, why did the factory allow him to custom tailor a TDF to it? Or in the factory's eyes, is it just a custom build tailored to what he wanted? David talked as if Ferrari built it as a 1-off specifically for him.
    Someone on IG said it belongs/ed to Milton Verret. As soon as you google his name, a video of him driving it in Austin appears; it's wearing the same Montana P1 GTR plate as well.

David also claims it's a US-VIN example, but a couple folks (Peleton may be able to shed light) pointed out all P1 GTRs have Euro-VINs.

13. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you as always Marcel.

Forgive my ignorance of this subject, but, was there such a thing as a Ferrari SpA factory purpose-built "1964 250 Lusso Competizione", and if so, were there "only four known to exist" as reported by Charles Fleming of the LA Times in his June 15th 2017 article?

TIA.

Peter, if you want a really rare track-derivative of a Ferrari Supercar, I think there are only 3 Ferrari F50 GTs!

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Why bother the guy like that?

15. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Not at any point as far as I'm aware. The broker he seems to use for most of his car trades is the one responsible for bringing most of those "road legal" (#not) P1 GTRs into the country and David has used his account to try and promote that car which has been for sale since it arrived. Most people very wisely won't touch them as it is fair to say the ownership comes with a decent amount of risk should the proper agencies choose to investigate.

I have my own opinions, but haven't been able to talk to the right people to confirm them. It's obviously not a coincidence the cars are similar, and David uses the TdF build to try to bolster the credibility of the Lusso which we've already established is false. I doubt Ferrari came to him with the idea but rather he pressed to have it done through the Atelier/Tailor Made process and they were happy to take his money. As far as I'm aware, of all the desirable Ferraris in his collection, it's the first one he hasn't bought second-hand so in Ferrari's eyes he is hardly a good customer.

Yes, MV is the proper owner of GTR chassis #01 - it's second owner, as I understand, with the car having been built and sold originally to someone in the Netherlands.

Out of ~61 P1 GTRs produced, there are exactly ZERO in the world with a US-region VIN. Even the cars that were originally sold and delivered to US customers for track use have a Euro designation in the Region indicator. There is no change made to the VINs in the road conversion process either. Just another example of inaccurate claims from David. I would hope he doesn't treat his business dealings in with a similar disregard for what is true and correct.

>8^)
    ER

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don't think every time someone orders a special atelier version, Ferrari check that they don't have another Ferrari in the same configuration they claim to be a racing version when it isn't.

17. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #67 -CD-, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    His name is also sticked on the fond window...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    forgive my ignorance on this matter once again. but if i am getting what you are saying right this guy has been bragging about cars that he doesn't own all the time?

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Some of that, but the part I take greatest issue with are his misrepresentations of the truth. Especially when there's just no good explanation for it.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with his social media grandstanding otherwise, but people believe the things that he says and those of us with the real story then have to work harder to prove him wrong in order to set the record straight.

>8^)
    ER

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I wonder if David knew this. I wonder if he paid top $$$ for this car figuring it was a Comp car? Did someone fool him?
    Did a Lusso even exist with the yellow livery? If not, His poor F12 TDF! wasted paint job.

21. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Didn't he buy his 458 Speciale A, 488 Spyder, and GTC4 Lusso first hand?

22. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    That's the impression I got, esp with the recent posts about the GTC4. He claimed a while back he's getting the F12 70th Anniversary model tributed to McQueen as well. Hasn't been update about it since January.

23. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    In a Shmee150 clip he also lectured about the Lusso that
    it has all the Comp specs, stronger engine, transmission, diff, etc.
    and has race history and is very different to the Standard Lusso.

Perhaps he will get a shock when he recognize that the Lusso is
    not the real thing and the F12 TdFist not a real tribute... :(

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Maybe that's what he thought he bought? Bummer, if so. Wonder when the modifications were performed ...

25. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It looks like he is running or starting an MLM therefore a high profile would be helpful as would a large number of followers/fanboys