McLaren should stick with Honda | FerrariChat

McLaren should stick with Honda

Discussion in 'F1' started by Luxb1, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    #1 Luxb1, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Honda is paying the bills, the cars look good, and there's no way Honda's engines won't improve. Buyers of their road cars won't care where their track cars are on the grid.
    If Honda quits, they should try and get free Ferrari engines and badge them Alfa Romeo like in the old days.

2. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Then they should get rid of Alonso and get Stéphane Sarrazin, the best all-around driver in the world. There's no way that Spanish muppet is worth 30 million a year.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "there's no way Honda's engines won't improve" what evidence is there to support that statement? Honda has gone backwards if anything in three seasons and zero points this year. They look more clueless than ever.
    Also how do you "try to get free Ferrari engines", just give Marchionne a call and cut a deal? Ferrari is a business and they are losing a customer(Sauber) next year, they will need to replace that revenue stream.
    It appears to me the Zak Brown will move heaven and earth to keep Alonso. No Honda money and no Alonso would spell no more McLaren.

4. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Well, as long as Honda pays the bills McLaren will be ok. They don't really need to do well as long as they don't burn cash. I am sure they would be able to get a good deal on Ferrari/Alfa engines.

5. (A) 'Not inferring anything, 'just an info request... How old is Luxb1? :confused:

(B) You answer your own question, no? ;)

(C) I thought the exit of Lewis and Ron spelled the end of McL for the time being. :( 'Hopefully it'll be back. :prayer:

6. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I am sure Ojjeh would be more than willing to sell McLaren to Fiat so they could rename it Alfa Romeo, and that is actually pretty plausible.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Most of your post are provocative, inflammatory or downright silly.

It that a skill that you work hard at perfecting, or does it comes natural to you?

Answer not needed; I put you on my ignore list from now on.

8. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time a McLaren has been fitted with an Alfa engine. Brush up on your F1 history, Bill.

9. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    By definition, one cannot improve significantly if one cannot even finish the race. :eek:

10. And that takes us where??? As in, what's your point??? :confused:

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Mansour Ojjeh only owns 25% of McLaren (Ron Dennis owns 25% & Mumtalakat Holding own 50%), so he cannot sell McLaren to FIAT on his own (Try doing some homework on who owns McLaren!)

You seem to have latched onto this story: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/opinion-f1-mclaren-alfa-romeo-919226/ and decided to make it your own idea.

The McLaren/Alfa Romeo link is weak to say the least, and it's far more likely that McLaren will go back to Mercedes power.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Agreed.

The guy is just trolling.

Look at his posts on different threads.

13. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I'm still stuck on the fire Alonso and hire Sarrazin, the best all around driver in the world, comment, lol! Go away, troll.

14. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    You are the kind of guy who buys stocks at all time highs and sells them at lows. I bet you didn't even know that McLaren once used Alfa engines.

Alonso is not a sacred cow, and certainly not one worth 30 big ones a year. Unlike Vettel, or Senna, or Schumacher, Alonso has never been a strong car developer.

15. Because of them, my money's on ignorant and immature. ;)

16. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Discussing potential outcomes is trolling?

17. Again son (girl?), what has that to do with anything???

18. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I wonder if McLaren's connection with Lamborghini and and Peugeot would have been as derided back in the day...

19. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    No, no, no ya gots it all wrong! Mac will revert back to BRM. Brushing up on history...yo!

20. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Ojjeh might very well sell his 25%. There's nothing in the company's incorporation papers stopping him.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The McLaren Lamborghini never competed and yes, the McLaren Peugeot was derided back in the day. I remember Brundle blowing up on the starting grid at Silverstone.

22. That's a far cry from

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    When did McLaren use Alfa engines?

24. #24 lorenzobandini, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

I think it was more a de Adamich/Alfa deal with McL as he took the engine with him to March the next year. The rest of the McLs in 70 used Cosworths ansd De Ad only qual'd for 3 or 4 races, iirc. :)

edit: Here you go, I was pretty close. 'memories still sorta functioning....:):

McLaren Formula 1 - Heritage - Andrea de Adamich

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And how would that enable him to sell the McLaren F1 team to FIAT as you suggest he could? :confused:

Trust Me on this: FIAT have no interest in owning 25% of McLaren!

(You really haven't thought this through have you? )