2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 20 | FerrariChat

2017 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I cannot see anything wrong for calling the police after a mild scuffle.

People who try to settle an argument with violence should face the consequences.

2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    "Assault? Are you one of those characters that calls the police after a mild scuffle?"

C'mon Bas. Don't try to minimize what Vettel did. He's lucky he doesn't have an immediate race ban.

3. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Seb was very lucky to get away with such a light penalty. Even given that Lewis definitely did brake-check him.
    It's inexplicable and extremely lucky for Lewis that he got nothing for brake-checking Seb. Here's on-board footage showing his braking graphic and clearly showing him brake-check Seb. https://my.mixtape.moe/slropm.mp4
    Pretty slimy from Lewis to carry on like he did, knowing all the time he precipitated the whole incident.

4. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Other sports, he'd get a straight red and maybe worse.

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #480 jgonzalesm6, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Scuffle as I understand it is a push and shove and that's that. Not worth wasting police sources for. ;).

I've said it plenty of times now, Vettel was wrong. He should've kept his head in check.

Right, but this is not whatever sport you think it is.

8. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    As I said in my previous quote, Seb was very lucky with the penalty he got - should have been more severe.
    Lewis most definitely did brake-check Seb - absolute proof on this video (watch the brake graphic) https://my.mixtape.moe/slropm.mp4 If autosport is telling the truth, you can never tell with them, it is extremely concerning that officials could have that evidence and do nothing. Lewis definitely precipitated the whole incident. Slimy thing to do and even slimier to carry on the way he did in interviews afterwards. Lewis has lost me completely on this one.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #484 Jack-the-lad, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

It is impossible to tell. Unless you insist on seeing what you want to see, of course.....

I accept the FIA findings, but they relied on the data, not the pictures.

10. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    It's worse than a red card.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Those who can justify this bump by Vettel ---

-- imagine what you would say if Hamilton did it.

12. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Actually it is possible to tell. The brake graphic in the video I posted clearly shows he has exited the corner, is facing forward and Lewis absolutely dabs the brake. Slimy move to do it, and even slimier to carry on like he hadn't done anything to bring on Seb's reaction.

13. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hamilton drives like a pr*ck; everything he does is designed to psyche out his competitors. He even had the nerve to ask the team to slow Bottas down! Like Bottas is out there to make life easy for his royal highness! Its really unbelievable. What kind of example is HE setting? Vettel should have kept his cool, but karma won out because he actually outscored Hamilton. I think the only kind of driving that Hamilton respects is exactly the bump he got from Vettel.

And Sainz gets a penalty in Canda and nothing for Bottas? Come on...

One more thing, what happened to one legal move drivers can make to block an overtaking car? Stroll should have forced Bottas to switchback; maybe that would have saved 2nd for Williams...

14. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    +1

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yeah, exactly.

Soon people will start blaming Hamilton for global warming too ...

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    LEWIS ROCKS

18. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I know we all see things differently. With that in mind, I see Hamilton applying the brake through the apex and then releasing. No doubt he is slowing down. However the "dab" you mention is, I believe his foot hitting the pedal as Vettel hits him from behind. You can clearly see (or I can!) his helmet jolt forward at the same time.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    :)

Lewis drove a flawless race. His team let him down by not securing his headrest otherwise he would have easily won.

Seb lost his cool and wasted a win for Ferrari. I hope the team principal will be tough on him.

20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Agreed, Vettel never should have retaliated.

21. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Plausible, but why, when the SC was going in, and Hamilton had cleared the apex, would his foot be anywhere near—relatively speaking—the brake. You would think he would be ready to hit the throttle.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Maybe this will put the matter to rest @

"FIA analysis showed Hamilton did not brake-test Vettel

FIA analysis showed Hamilton did not brake-test Vettel

Stewards at F1's Azerbaijan GP found no evidence in telemetry data of Lewis Hamilton either brake-testing or lifting off unexpectedly in his clash with Sebastian Vettel before Sunday's second safety car restart.

Although Vettel is adamant that he was brake-tested on the exit of Turn 15 prior to him making contact with the rear of the Mercedes, analysis of data from Hamilton's car by the FIA showed no proof of that.

The FIA investigation, which took place during the course of the race, threw up no suggestion that Hamilton had braked nor lifted off entirely.

Furthermore, analysis of how Hamilton had behaved in the first safety car restart, and the one after the incident, showed that the British driver had behaved exactly the same at that point of the track as he prepared to get back up to racing speed.

For with a long run up between the following Turn 16 and the safety car line, he had to back off to ensure that he did not break the rules by overtaking the safety car before he was allowed."

23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #498 Terra, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Based on this footage, Lewis was doing 60km/h at the apex. Just after the exit, his speed slightly slowed to about 50km/h (either by just letting off the gas, or as a result of continuing the braking at bit beyond the apex - - remember the leading driver gets to control/dictate the pace whilst the field is under the control of the safety car) . Then, at least according to the tv graphic, he dabbed the brakes for a millisecond, which brought the speed down to a whopping 49 km/h. It looks like Seb simply misanticipated and was asleep at the wheel.

24. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    "The FIA investigation, conducted during the race, showed that Hamilton had behaved exactly the same in that area of the track at both the controversial restart and the incident-free one before."

So maybe he "brake checked" both times, but Vettel wasn't up his ass the first time...

Was this the last "slow" corner before the safety car pulls out i.e. the one the leader goes full throttle on, in hopes of jumping out ahead enough of following cars so they can't slingshot past?

I don't see anything wrong with Ham's interview. Deliberately ramming another car at any speed is unacceptable at all levels of racing, and there are thousands if not millions of young fans that look up to Vettel.

What he did will and should be a black mark on his record.

25. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    The penalty he received is appropriate for the bump, not the hooligan move that followed.