McLaren 720s up close in person | FerrariChat

McLaren 720s up close in person

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by tobewiser, Jul 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    #1 tobewiser, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a chance to look at one up close in person today at my local dealer. I was not able to drive the car as it had been sold. I thought a new thread on the 720s may be better as the other one turns into heavy discussion of depreciation of the brands. Let's try to focus one the merits of the car itself.

The 720s is definitely a major upgrade from the 650s, much more so than the 488 over the 458. My impressions are as follows:

1. Exterior Styling: no more side vents but hidden side air channels instead. Very ingenious and modern. Many cues from the P1 and F1. The so-called 'controversial' headlights are actually quite functionally and aesthetically integrated into the design. The LED lights are all high tech and modern. Overall its appearance speaks 'super car' better than the 650s or 12C. The 'wow' fact is 80% there. This particular car is in Azores Elite (a few shades more red than the previous Volcano Orange) multiple layer paint. Quite stunning in person.

2. CF structure: much better ingress and egress. The side sills also slopes downward towards the front making it much easier to get in and out. They are as least 2-3 inches narrower than the previous models. The CF roof also allows the partial glass roof panels. The interior CF trims are matte finished - a very nice modern, high tech touch with the complimentary matte alcantanara appointments.

3. Workmanship: the wide bold stitching on the seats are very attractive. The cabin has exceptional fit and finish.

4. Interior Styling: Much roomier due to the redesign of the dash and center console. The bridge is now tugged closer to the center dash. The narrower CF tub gives way to a much wider shoulder rooms. The standard seats are very supportive and stylish with contrast color inserts. The retractable LCD/OLED dash screens are as cool as functional - a very nice track focus touch. Glass everywhere! Love the visibility improvement over the 650s.

5. Sound: The sale rep did turn on the car so that I could listen to the optional sports exhaust (see photo: vented exhausted tips). A far better supercar sound than that of the standard exhaust. By design, McLaren wants the 720s to be an overall friendly daily driver, hence the 'luxury' package and a muted exhaust. The sport exhaust is way to go - deep and 'throaty'...almost make you forget that this is a turbo!

This particular car is highly optioned with CF, sport exhaust, telemetry, alcantara trims, etc. MSRP: $339K. The car starts from $288, with almost every available options, to $360K.

Those who have not seen one in person ought to do so before making any judgment. I personally think the 720s is a serious contender to the 488. I'll try to update this post once I have a chance to test drive one in the near future but I double very much that I will not be impressed. I will definitely pass on my 488 order and give McLaren a try.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I personally love it!!

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice write up thanks!

4. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Car's exterior looks like an orange beetle that has been squashed...

I'm sure the specs are over the top, but as far as looks go, that is a major factor for many of us in this price category.

Good luck with your order and enjoy it to the fullest!

5. Monako

Monako Karting

Sep 23, 2007
    Canada
    Nice whip!

6. PeanutSlab

PeanutSlab Rookie

Mar 27, 2017
    UK
    I saw a 720S here in Chichester (UK) just after launch, we're a couple of miles from Goodwood so see all the new McLaren's being tested. It's incredibly low in the flesh, it's exotic in the way an F is more conservative. I have to say though that the big mac isn't up to the quality of the F just yet, especially in the interior. It's still an amazing car, but there's a few years of development before it can match a Ferrari. Incredible how far they've come in such a short space of time.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I drove one 2,000 miles and on track -- its insanely great!

8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Thanks for the pictures and your impressions.

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This is the wrong forum and should be moved to McLaren section.

10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm surprised it lasted this long lol

11. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    I am sure it looks better in person but for me I still prefer a red Ferrari anytime. But again this is a Ferrari forum. Might have better luck on mac forum.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ferrari anytime

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Just not pretty enough.

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    too much going on. i cannot seem to get a complete vision of the design. all the vents and wings and shaded and recessed areas. i am sure it somehow works in the wind tunnel, but it does nothing for me.

frankly none of the maclaren products move the needle for me.

nb. i dont like the 488 either.

15. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Just realized "tobewiser" ....buying a mac over a Ferrari no very wise. LOL

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One trend I hope Ferrari never picks up

This idea that you need to hide the engine. I'm not talking about the lack of glass. I'm talking about literally sealing the engine away so you can't look at it unless you're a technician.

The engine is still the heart of a Ferrari. You need to be able to see it and show it off if you want to.

17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    That happened a long time ago. Starting with the 599 when the moved the engine to mid-front design. Same with 488 & 458 spyder, you're looking at a lot of fancy plastic. The last great engine to look at was the 360CS IMO. Everyone is moving the engine lower and more central. The 720S engine is practically dragging on the ground. You can't see it not because they don't want you to, but rather is not in a suitable viewing position.

I do miss that feature as well. Which is one of many reasons old cars are just so cool. Unfortunately it's not compatible with today's ultra sports cars.

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agreed, especially the font and back angles. The side profile is much better and a huge improvement over the 650S.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #19 TheMayor, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

BTW: Behold! ENGINE! Something you will never see in the 570s or the 720s

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    saw in in the flesh in Geneva and locally - the design gives me a headache - just too busy as u say
    dont own a 488 either

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    #21 gtjoey, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    The current car scene was won by the 458, when the 488 came out it was improved but to me a little stale, not pushing the bar.
    The 720s comes out of left field, wild design, small car company and crazy stats to back it up.
    For me its fresh, new and wayyyyy out there without being a boy racer.
    Post the 360 view video in grey with sandstone interior, for anyone over 50 it screams class.
    The price point compared to all the others up to a million is what make all of us wonder.
    Jay just posted his new FORD GT video, did anyone look at the interior, Its really a shame.
    The McLaren in leather to me is sooooo rich looking.
    In five years it will be something else but for now, this car is the king.
    We shall see
    gtjoey

22. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza

Yes, underutilized and underpowered but dam so pretty to look at...like lipstick on a pig. Some sarcasm. FYI, the engine on 720 literally almost hits the ground for better balance. So it's hidden not because they don't want you to see it but because it's not visible given low ground clearance. That's by design and one of many many tech design advancements.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    660 hp is underpowered...welcome to supercars in 2017.

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Spot on!
    This car just changed all the rules!
    Gtjoey720s

25. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013