New GT | Page 5 | FerrariChat

New GT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by agrun, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL...we have a winner :)

(wine? Wives? Pets? Kids? Meh)

2. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Any additional insights on the two bodies after today's dealer presentation?

My head has visions of what Jag did with the F-type. Spider to start. Swoopy looking coupe to follow. A v8 GT coupe would be a great addition to the Ferrari line-up...

3. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    if it's been riding around muled on a cali T platform then it is basically going to be a re-body of the cali T

there is nothing wrong with the current cali T it just doesn't have the aggressive visual appeal that screams Ferrari. the lines flow like an F12 look at the profiles side by side, they could make it look like an F12 but then that would be cannibalism on their flagship.

i predict it will keep the same folding roof mechanism and obviously the mules already riding on the same cali T platform. they will just beef up the exterior panels.

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I thought it was supposed to be a new platform?

...and I was asking about two different bodied new versions, not the new one vs the old one. (Read marcels' posts in this thread)

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    read this, mules already on cali T platform

6. oac

oac Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Sounding like exactly what I'm after. As my only car but young and living in London my California has the versatility I wanted, but not the looks. Very pleased 2+2 is staying, even if it's never used for 4 people and rarely used for 3 the extra space is essential for me.

7. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It's a new platform

8. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    100% with this. The platform is good, the handling great, the performance great. Only thing I would change are the looks and the infotainment system. Oh and also, move the seat controls to the centre console or somewhere more convenient.

Interesting to see what they come up with - a little more in the aggressive looks department and I'll be very happy.

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    If you read Marcel's comment the mules have Cali T bodies. The platform is new and the body styling is apparently more akin to the shift from F12 to 812. Will be interesting to see if it gets the same split between lovers and haters as the 812.

10. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    agree

At the moment I can't choose between adding a 458 Spider (design) or Cali T HS (practicality). Would be great to have a truly beautiful option in between, leaning GT

My only worry is that so far FDS has failed to beat the Pinanfarina legacy w. the Lusso and the 812. They're trying way too hard, creatively speaking.

TDF works from FDS as it's a muscle car and they're drawing like a teenage boy. Hopefully this new design is in their youthful wheelhouse and ALSO has some real timeless style, some constraint, and a clearly Ferrari look.

And please ... no Ford GT/Corrvette quad LEDs in the rear. If anyone knows that's happening please, please, please ... PM me as I will get something now.

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think it's easy to justify a California if you're never the one sitting in tiny cramped back seats...

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I think the latter is a foregone conclusion!
    T

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You're darn tooting! My wife even claims that the passenger seat is not as comfy as the driver's seat. I think she's just angling for more driving time.
    T

14. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Can folks post all they know ... adding it here

Similar wheelbase to Cali T - yet a new platform
    2+2 still
    Hard top folds in the trunk still
    7 speed still
    No rear wheel steering

8cyl turbo?
    4 led lights in the rear?

15. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    see above

16. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    What do you mean with 7-speed GB? Automatic transmission like ZF 8HP like Bentley or 7-speed DCT from Getrag, like Cali T.

17. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    I believe the most important is updated interior with new infotainment like lusso

18. kevinof

kevinof Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    yes, and the exterior (the rear end). Rest of it is already great.

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Like Cali T.

Marcel Massini

20. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    THX

21. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hi guys, how long do you think it will take after the announcement for the new GT, before we start seeing them on the roads? 6 months? a year?

22. jtaryoto

jtaryoto Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    My guess is Feb/Mar 18 for Europe deliveries

23. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    A couple of the new F164 were already on the production line a couple of weeks ago - I guess they must be the early pre-show cars - Marcel would probably know. After Frankfurt there would be the normal process of setting everything-up so I would guess maybe sometime in the 2nd quarter next year they will start appearing on driveways.

24. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Local dealer says July '18 for U.S.

25. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Quite often with new models they try to get the first few to customers before the year-end ie Dec 17 in this instance altho' one or two have been slightly delayed recently eg 488 as I recall